Would you punish?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Let's say you found a piece of crumpled paper on the floor. You pick it up to toss but see something written. You open it and in your 8-year-old's handwriting is every single curse word they can think of.

You and DH don't really curse around the kids other than the occasional shit or damn. This has words you didn't even think he knew.

Would you discuss it with him? Let him know it is inappropriate? Or just ignore it since it was obvious he meant to throw it away?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would ask him to come sit with me and talk. Then, I would show it to him and tell him he is not in trouble, but we do need to discuss where he heard the curse words and what he hoped to accomplish by writing them down. Then, I would explain that they are not acceptable for him to speak or write and to come to us if he ever needs to talk and we will help him work through whatever he is feeling.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would discuss it with him in a calm manner. I think making a huge deal of it would make cussing more attractive to him.

I punish my kid when he has a bad attitude or bad behavior, but I don't consider this either of those.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Good lord no. Why would I punish for that?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm Good lord no. Why would I punish for that?
I'm just wondering how others would handle it. We don't all parent the same way. For instance, had I done that I would have been in huge trouble. I had a conversation with him about how those words weren't appropriate. He said he just wanted to see what they looked like written down. He says he heard most of them at school.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Perhaps he wrote them down instead of saying them out loud, lol I wouldn't punish him but I would ask him where he heard them and tell him if I did hear him say them, then he would be punished.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm Good lord no. Why would I punish for that?
I'm just wondering how others would handle it. We don't all parent the same way. For instance, had I done that I would have been in huge trouble. I had a conversation with him about how those words weren't appropriate. He said he just wanted to see what they looked like written down. He says he heard most of them at school.
They are just words on a piece of paper. That is all. I'd give him shit for not throwing the paper in the trash but that is it. Who on this board did not look up dirty words in the dictionary when they were kids? Should we have gotten in trouble for doing that?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:34 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm
They are just words on a piece of paper. That is all. I'd give him shit for not throwing the paper in the trash but that is it. Who on this board did not look up dirty words in the dictionary when they were kids? Should we have gotten in trouble for doing that?
A neighbor of mine grounded her 10 yr old son for two weeks because he said "dees nuts" She was so mad about it and I just laughed...which pissed her off even more. I am pretty sure she would lose her mind if she found the same piece of paper.
Tapies2324
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

You're so right lol. I'd be more annoyed about it not being thrown away.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would figure he wrote them down instead of using them. I wouldn't care unless he used them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic