The school bus assault of a disabled girl, caught on video, may have never happened had the district taken action, a not

brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

OCEAN SPRINGS
The school bus assault of a disabled girl may have never happened, a notice of a lawsuit says, had a Coast school district taken action against teacher Kerri Anne Nettles for alleged misconduct in 2009.

The girl's lawyer, Michael Crosby, on Friday sent the Ocean Springs School District a notice of potential litigation.

In his letter, he says after officials investigated claims of Nettles drinking alcohol on school grounds, her “misconduct was swept under the rug and concealed from the board of education as well as future children and parents who would foreseeably and predictably be subject to injury should she be employed to do so.”

Nettles immediately resigned and no record of alleged misconduct was made by the district, including not reporting it to the Mississippi Department of Education as required, the former superintendent says.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Crosby argues the school district could have fired Nettles instead of allowing her to resign. And filing a report on the alleged infraction with the state could have prevented Nettles from teaching again.

When contacted this week, a lawyer for Nettles acknowledges that she has struggled with alcohol in the past.

In Crosby's letter to Ocean Springs Superintendent Bonita Coleman, Crosby agreed not to file the lawsuit if the Ocean Springs School District agreed to pay $500,000 in damages.

Drinking allegations
In his own investigation, Crosby said he's collected evidence to suggest Nettles was “keeping and consuming alcohol in her classroom on the (Ocean Springs) campus during the school day on numerous occasions.”

Nettles first resigned amid allegations of misconduct in 2009 when she was teaching at Magnolia Elementary. She returned in 2011 and taught at Taconi Elementary and Ocean Springs Upper Elementary before resigning again in July 2014.

Shortly thereafter, she was hired as a special education teacher at St. Martin Middle. It wasn't long after that Nettles was caught on school bus video repeatedly yelling at the disabled student before twice stuffing a towel in her mouth to shut her up.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This is the same school I pulled my 17 year old out of last year. The school that kept insisting that he would NEVER graduate...He graduated 2 months after "dropping out" of St. Martin High.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Wow.
I am glad you got your son out of there.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Sounds like that school district needs to be sued.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm Sounds like that school district needs to be sued.
Agreed. I let Brian (17) drop out because his algebra teacher was bullying him.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

brandyblx wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm Sounds like that school district needs to be sued.
Agreed. I let Brian (17) drop out because his algebra teacher was bullying him. Oh, and he did graduate, with a high school diploma- not a GED
Locked Previous topicNext topic