Welfare spin-off

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Except it’s not. Welfare and healthcare aren’t mutually exclusive.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:21 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 am
Smarties wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 am I think people on this board are way too obsessed with what something is "technically called" and quoting legal definitions and everything else.

It doesn't matter.
Agreed. I was discussing the federal budget with someone and I said safety net programs- EIC, food stamps, TANF take up nine percent of the budget. She tossed Medicaid into 'welfare'. I consider that healthcare and important especially when in Florida Medicaid doesn't always come free. Its salary based. What we need to ask is not what's welfare but 'should we spend 24 percent of the budget or whatever it was on Medicare/Medicaid benefits? Why is that cost so high? Can we cut defense and why the hell do we only spend 3 percent in education? And why are we down on people for using programs available to them? If something happened and I needed TANF absolutely I'd take it. That's why I paid taxes for. We need people to work but shaming doesn't help.
I raised my eyebrow at this as well last evening. Our disasterous healthcare system is like a monster of its own, Medicaid, ACA subsidies.

It does feel like a different category when compared to housing and food vouchers.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It's all welfare, but what does it matter? I had subsidized loans in college...most people wouldn't consider that traditional welfare. But the government covered my tab for something, so it is what it is.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am TANF is almost never fully paid back, and rarely paid back at all. It’s absolutely welfare.
Youre only allowed to draw a certain amount in a life time and unless you have like 5 kids you sont get that much so it isnt rarely paid back anyone who has ever recieved and child support paid it back
How does it get paid back If there's no child support. It's not just a program for single mothers, is it? Do they seize your income tax refund or something if you get a job?
It has been years since i have received it like that. Child is an adult now. But my understanding you have to be unemployed to receive. Yes married people get it but that is rare.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

So you can’t prove your claim (because it’s wrong).

TANF is often give to families where there is no child support.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am Yes, there’s a 60 month lifetime cap.

Prove your statement that “anyone who has ever recieved and child support paid it back.”
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am

Youre only allowed to draw a certain amount in a life time and unless you have like 5 kids you sont get that much so it isnt rarely paid back anyone who has ever recieved and child support paid it back
You know how to use the internet. Look it up yourself. If you draw tanf one of the requirement is to comply with child support
They do take it out of child support and you have to aldo volunteer so many hours per week as well.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 am Except it’s not. Welfare and healthcare aren’t mutually exclusive.

Agreed. I was discussing the federal budget with someone and I said safety net programs- EIC, food stamps, TANF take up nine percent of the budget. She tossed Medicaid into 'welfare'. I consider that healthcare and important especially when in Florida Medicaid doesn't always come free. Its salary based. What we need to ask is not what's welfare but 'should we spend 24 percent of the budget or whatever it was on Medicare/Medicaid benefits? Why is that cost so high? Can we cut defense and why the hell do we only spend 3 percent in education? And why are we down on people for using programs available to them? If something happened and I needed TANF absolutely I'd take it. That's why I paid taxes for. We need people to work but shaming doesn't help.
I raised my eyebrow at this as well last evening. Our disasterous healthcare system is like a monster of its own, Medicaid, ACA subsidies.

It does feel like a different category when compared to housing and food vouchers.
I Understand your terminology. I understand the basic definition of welfare.

I do not understand the objective of the discussion

If you are wanting to discuss rationale of how we, as a nation, found ourselves with that much of our budget committed to “welfare”, it is for vastly different reasons, based on those category. I do not understand the value in lumping both categories together for discussion.

And if you are not wanting to discuss that, then, it’s sort of like, “so, ok, nice to know” and move on with our day.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 am You’re in denial if you don’t believe Medicaid is welfare.
Smarties wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 am I think people on this board are way too obsessed with what something is "technically called" and quoting legal definitions and everything else.

It doesn't matter.
You'll have to understand how Florida Medicaid works to understand what she is talking about. In Florida the income limits is extremely low, for the cost of living, for fully paid Medicaid. They have something called share of cost there. I lived there. Our income was $2500 a month . Our share of of cost was $3000. That is per person per month. Meaning we would have to pay out of pocket $3000 per person per month before Medicaid would pick up. That was more than our monthly income. So while we had Medicaid it was worthless. My kids i put on Florida kidcare which i had to pau $320 a month for per kid so they were insured
My dh and i had couldn't use our "Medicaid " and still pay our bills and feed our kidsn
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am So you can’t prove your claim (because it’s wrong).

TANF is often give to families where there is no child support.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am Yes, there’s a 60 month lifetime cap.

Prove your statement that “anyone who has ever recieved and child support paid it back.”

You know how to use the internet. Look it up yourself. If you draw tanf one of the requirement is to comply with child support
They do take it out of child support and you have to aldo volunteer so many hours per week as well.
Or i am about to go into work and don't have time to so research you are more than capable of doing yourself
Anonymous 2

Unread post

WickedPissah wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 am I don't really care about all these spin-offs off spin-offs.
You knew it was a spin off when you saw it, opened it, and replied to the post
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I’m simply correcting erroneous comments.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 am Except it’s not. Welfare and healthcare aren’t mutually exclusive.

I Understand your terminology. I understand the basic definition of welfare.

I do not understand the objective of the discussion

If you are wanting to discuss rationale of how we, as a nation, found ourselves with that much of our budget committed to “welfare”, it is for vastly different reasons, based on those category. I do not understand the value in lumping both categories together for discussion.

And if you are not wanting to discuss that, then, it’s sort of like, “so, ok, nice to know” and move on with our day.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Your being unable to afford your share doesn’t make the program not welfare. You were still being subsidized based upon your income. KidCare is also welfare.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 am You’re in denial if you don’t believe Medicaid is welfare.

You'll have to understand how Florida Medicaid works to understand what she is talking about. In Florida the income limits is extremely low, for the cost of living, for fully paid Medicaid. They have something called share of cost there. I lived there. Our income was $2500 a month . Our share of of cost was $3000. That is per person per month. Meaning we would have to pay out of pocket $3000 per person per month before Medicaid would pick up. That was more than our monthly income. So while we had Medicaid it was worthless. My kids i put on Florida kidcare which i had to pau $320 a month for per kid so they were insured
My dh and i had couldn't use our "Medicaid " and still pay our bills and feed our kidsn
Locked Previous topicNext topic