"Love you mom and dad"

Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Scary but how will banning guns prevent bomb threats?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm It doesn’t matter if it’s a gun threat or a bomb threat. It’s a damn shame that children have to have lockdown drills and fear for their lives.

As for guns.

Nothing will ever change. Neither side is willing to give on anything.
There's always a threat of something. When my ma was coming up it was bomb threats as a remnant from WW2 so they had to practice "duck and cover". There was even a little jingle that went with it. There were regular drills.

As long as there are other people in the world, some of them will mean harm unfortunately.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm
LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm It doesn’t matter if it’s a gun threat or a bomb threat. It’s a damn shame that children have to have lockdown drills and fear for their lives.

As for guns.

Nothing will ever change. Neither side is willing to give on anything.
There's always a threat of something. When my ma was coming up it was bomb threats as a remnant from WW2 so they had to practice "duck and cover". There was even a little jingle that went with it. There were regular drills.

As long as there are other people in the world, some of them will mean harm unfortunately.
That logic is a cop out.

Those threats didn’t come from within our own boundaries. There was or would have been at least some warning. Yes, there was a real threat of the bombs, but not if someone’s neighbor walking into a school shooting it up and/or bombing it.

My drills in school were for fire or earthquakes. We never had to worry about much beyond that. Hell Columbine didn’t even happen till 8/9 years after I left school and before anyone mentions the very few and far between instance prior to that..I’m aware.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:43 pm
Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm thats sad as hell.

its not just a 'gun nut' problem though, these school shootings are far more complex than just 'guns'

there is so much more contributing to it, including media and social media, video games, and death reminders which elevate mortality salience and aggression towards 'others'
depression in our youth is rising steadily, and a lot of people are also really isolated, despite all the ways we are connected, and the affects of all of this needs to be looked at

I am actually working on a research proposal paper right now, where we are looking at the media and social media etc and how death reminders in the media etc affect how we think, how we treat other people and even what be buy.

facebook has actually admitted to having done a study where they attempted to alter peoples moods via inserting a lot of negative and sad stories into their feeds to see if they could trigger depression, and it worked.
so now we have to look at the mediums such as Facebook and how they tailor the feed to the individual based off of these algorithms which determine your interests, therefore, a person who has mental health issues could hypothetically have newsfeed which is tailored to trigger an episode of psychosis.

there is a lot to look at, but the fact that the availability heuristics say our schools aren't safe, statistically speaking, they are.
but due to the mass coverage, and stories which are just...you're bombarded with all the bad our world has to offer via media, and it creates a level of anxiety in a person where you are EXPECTING bad things to happen, and that in itself has a negative affect on our mental health and physical health as well well as our purchasing patterns, and how we vote, which is what it all really boils down to in the end.
YOu don't live in the US. I do. Yes it is a gun nut problem. We cannot get sensible, comprehensive gun control because of hte F***ing 2nd amendment and the gun nuts thinks that means that they have a god given right to stockpile as many weapons, including military style weapons. If the automatic weapons ban hadn't expired in 2004, then Adam Lanza wouldn't have had that AR rifle to slaughter all those six year olds. James Holmes wouldn't have been able to pick off theater goers like fish in a barrell and Stephen Paddock wouldn't have been able to reign terror in Las Vegas by picking off concert goers from his hotel room.
You don't know any of that. People that want to hurt people will find away if they can't get guns legally. Criminals don't generally care if it's legal or not to get the weapons they need. My point is assault riffles will still exist even if we ban them. The problem isn't the guns it's the lack of help for those with mental illness. BTW I don't own a gun so save your gun nut BS. My husband does but it's not kept at our home. His father keeps it because I'm not comfortable with it being in the house with the kids. It's sad that these shootings happen but banning one type of gun or even all guns won't solve anything.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Heartbreaking.

DD (6th grade) had a lock down drill today where they practiced hiding under desks, in closets, locking doors and shit in the event of an active shooter.

When I was in school, we only had fire drills.

Damn shame.

But I don't blame guns. I blame lack of mental health services.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I went to Catholic school in the seventies. We had bomb threats practically every damn month.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm It’s really, really weird that people feel the need to own “a literal arsenal” of guns. Pretty fucked up.
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm

And that is my point. They don't need it. Shouldn't have it. But it is that 'wild west' mentality that allows the Adam Lanzas, James Holmes, and Stephen Paddocks with the ability to get a hold of weapons to slaughter the innocent, just because. That is my point.
I never said they didn't need it. They live in no man's land. The cops are an hour away. They have bears, bobcats, wolves, coyotes, rabid dogs, poisonous snakes on their property regularly. They have had to use the guns on threatening wildlife.

They are on their own out there. Some of their guns are antiques and family heirlooms. They have sentimental value and are worth a lot of money.
So they can't have their antique guns? They can't have their heirloom guns that have been passed down father to son for generations? They have some new guns too they like to target practice with for fun.

Since they have had to use the guns to protect themselves from wild animals and crazy rednecks that show up on their secluded property, they are needed.
But I agree it is fucked up we live in a world where poachers threaten my mom on her own property so she had to pull a gun on them to make them leave.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I didn’t say they can’t have them, I said it’s weird. Guns are meant to kill things. Passing an item meant to kill to your children is absolutely bizarre in my mind.

And sure, protect yourself. But with a gun or maybe two. No one needs “a literal arsenal”. That’s such a redneck American thing.
RedBottoms wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm It’s really, really weird that people feel the need to own “a literal arsenal” of guns. Pretty fucked up.
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm

I never said they didn't need it. They live in no man's land. The cops are an hour away. They have bears, bobcats, wolves, coyotes, rabid dogs, poisonous snakes on their property regularly. They have had to use the guns on threatening wildlife.

They are on their own out there. Some of their guns are antiques and family heirlooms. They have sentimental value and are worth a lot of money.
So they can't have their antique guns? They can't have their heirloom guns that have been passed down father to son for generations? They have some new guns too they like to target practice with for fun.

Since they have had to use the guns to protect themselves from wild animals and crazy rednecks that show up on their secluded property, they are needed.
But I agree it is fucked up we live in a world where poachers threaten my mom on her own property so she had to pull a gun on them to make them leave.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Where in the article does it say he had a gun? I didn't read it, I'm just wondering if it does. From what you wrote it was a bomb threat... that's a pretty big difference.

I'm not a gun nut. I really don't even like guns, however, I'm considering getting a permit to carry one. Why? Because the world that we live in, is filled with people that don't care about human life anymore. They want to hurt people. So I want to be able to defend myself, and my family should I have to.

It's not a gun issue. Most of these people have mental problems, and shouldn't even own a gun. I think there need to be stricter laws for getting a permit. Even then it wouldn't stop it though. People would find other ways to harm someone if they really wanted to. Like bombs. Or a U-Haul full of manure... remember that one? It's not about guns, it's about people not getting the mental help that they need.

Anonymous 9

Unread post

Sure thing gun control......people will still get them illegally on the black market and if you think they wont you're a fool.
Locked Previous topicNext topic