Do You Agree?

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm Welfare and the defense budget are approximately tied for the largest government expenditures. I’d say that makes welfare worthy of concern.

I feel like you should get what you pay for: congresspeople can afford better medical care.

I don’t believe corporations should have the tax freedoms they do, but they’re providing jobs. If they go away, the country will be in worse shape, arguably.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm Why? It’s usually the recipients’ fault they’re on welfare.

Is it a corporations fault if they need a tax shelter? A government bailout? They get it no guilt involved. Do the congressmen deserve better healthcare than their constitutes get? And what my kids will pay back in debt is certainly more than they will in welfare. Idk about you but I've bigger worries than what an EIC recipient or a HUD renter does. Climate change and health care tops that list. Long as they're not committing fraud and they meet the criteria I'm not complaining. If I don't agree with the programs I write my representatives which others can do Also.
This is old but it breaks down what was spent on TANF and welfare programs. If you have a newer link feel free to tell me. https://econofact.org/welfare-and-the-federal-budget
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This, exactly.
carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 pm I don't think anyone is *entitled* to any help such as food stamps, etc, but a decent society has help in place so people don't starve or die from lack of medical care.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-b ... dollars-go

Defense spending has gone down a bit, while social security has gone since last I looked this up. But it’s a pretty credible source. Social welfare is a huge chunk of the budget.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm Welfare and the defense budget are approximately tied for the largest government expenditures. I’d say that makes welfare worthy of concern.

I feel like you should get what you pay for: congresspeople can afford better medical care.

I don’t believe corporations should have the tax freedoms they do, but they’re providing jobs. If they go away, the country will be in worse shape, arguably.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Is it a corporations fault if they need a tax shelter? A government bailout? They get it no guilt involved. Do the congressmen deserve better healthcare than their constitutes get? And what my kids will pay back in debt is certainly more than they will in welfare. Idk about you but I've bigger worries than what an EIC recipient or a HUD renter does. Climate change and health care tops that list. Long as they're not committing fraud and they meet the criteria I'm not complaining. If I don't agree with the programs I write my representatives which others can do Also.
This is old but it breaks down what was spent on TANF and welfare programs. If you have a newer link feel free to tell me. https://econofact.org/welfare-and-the-federal-budget
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

1. I've never heard anyone call all the things on the list "entitlements"

2. Lot's of folks get some of the listed "earned" benefits who didn't "earn or pay" for them. For example children can get SS survivor's benefits, and you can collect SS against a spouses income - even if you never earned a paycheck. Many others collect far more than they ever paid into these programs.

3. Instead of dividing people and judging who should or should not get food, medical care or housing aid, I'd rather help those who need it and focus on more jobs, more skills, and better health outcomes so more people can become self-reliant.

I'm sure we will be seeing lots of divisive memes now that their are new voices talking about job programs and expanded health care. I suspect a lot of these posts are crafted to stir resentment for any effort to improve lives.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-b ... dollars-go

Defense spending has gone down a bit, while social security has gone since last I looked this up. But it’s a pretty credible source. Social welfare is a huge chunk of the budget.

Its 9 percent for safety net programs...Medicare and social security takes up more which is understandable the baby boomers are retiring. Idk why we're quibbling over 9% or how it's comparable to defense spending but maybe I'm missing something. My opinion really hasn't changed. Don't shame people.. write your congress person your concerns.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That 9% isn’t including Medicaid, CHIP, etc. That puts it to approximately 19%, which is a full 1/5th of the budget.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-b ... dollars-go

Its 9 percent for safety net programs...Medicare and social security takes up more which is understandable the baby boomers are retiring. Idk why we're quibbling over 9% or how it's comparable to defense spending but maybe I'm missing something. My opinion really hasn't changed. Don't shame people.. write your congress person your concerns.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm That 9% isn’t including Medicaid, CHIP, etc. That puts it to approximately 19%, which is a full 1/5th of the budget.

That fell under Medicare and healthcare. Some of that was market place subsidies so people could buy affordable health insurance if their employer didn't provide it. CHIP protects mostly children I believe which is fine with me. Whatever you know what really grinds my gears? That lousy 3 percent for education. And 15 percent for defense. Unconscionable if you ask me. No wonder we're a nation of idiots. Anyway it's possible we need to cut spending in all places. And if they use some of that to pay down our debt and increase education fine. But I'm not holding my breath.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes, that fell under healthcare. But they’re still welfare programs. When you do the math, it accounts for about 10% of the budget. Add that to the 9% and you get 19%.

I agree that education is shamefully underfunded.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm That 9% isn’t including Medicaid, CHIP, etc. That puts it to approximately 19%, which is a full 1/5th of the budget.

That fell under Medicare and healthcare. Some of that was market place subsidies so people could buy affordable health insurance if their employer didn't provide it. CHIP protects mostly children I believe which is fine with me. Whatever you know what really grinds my gears? That lousy 3 percent for education. And 15 percent for defense. Unconscionable if you ask me. No wonder we're a nation of idiots. Anyway it's possible we need to cut spending in all places. And if they use some of that to pay down our debt and increase education fine. But I'm not holding my breath.
Deleted User 114

Unread post

Agree 100%
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think that there is a fine line here. I think as a duty to our country we should all look out for each other. Otherwise, we have no country worth saving if its inhabitance are all sick, starving and dying needlessly. On the other hand, I fully believe that people should try to do everything in their power to help themselves before searching for help from others. I don't think everyone on welfare are draining the system, but I do know that there are those who could do more but choose not to because they think they are entitled to an easy life. This is why Im all for a program that would be more like the system they had back in the old days before the welfare system. Where every able-bodied person down on their luck would actively try to do whatever they can for those who helped them. For instance, when my grandmother was growing up in the 30s, there was this homeless man who would come into town every so often. He would stop by my grandmothers - her parents- house for a place to sleep for a few days and some food to eat. My great grandparents were far from well off and lived on a shared farm. So they gave the man what they could spare, and in return he would help them around the farm and put in his dues that way. I think there should be a system in place like that today where able-bodied people who are having trouble finding work will be required to put in some community service hours, even if it's just 15 hrs a week leaving them time to look for a job. Also, it looks better on job applications that way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic