Should insurances have to cover IVF or other fertility treatments?

Anonymous 13

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:52 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm
Because I was infertile I was told not to wait. And I had plenty of patience. I waited 3 years to get my kids.
LOL. I’m pretty sure you have no self awareness. I waited almost 5 years between my first and second because some times it takes a while to conceive.
I was not even producing eggs genius
If you aren’t producing eggs then their is nothing any reproductive endocrinologist can do to help you conceive a genetic child.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 am
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:52 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 pm

LOL. I’m pretty sure you have no self awareness. I waited almost 5 years between my first and second because some times it takes a while to conceive.
I was not even producing eggs genius
You are born with eggs, genius. I think what you’re trying to say is that you weren’t ovulating. There are medications to promote ovulation, which I’m sure you tried first.

What I’m not clear on is why there was a rush to harvest the eggs you were born with and fertilize them outside your body. It doesn’t seem like that would be incredibly time sensitive.

In either case, please don’t act like you are somehow better than any other woman that has a baby when she’s not financially ready for one simply because you had insurance and your DH had a job. Plenty of broke parents have those things - it doesn’t mean they can afford children.
Not ovulating because your body is unable to regress a CL is very different from not ovulating regularly because FSH levels are increasing. Rising FSH levels are an indicator that a woman is entering or is in perimenopause and her egg quality has reduced significantly. If her FSH levels were beginning to rise an RE would most definitely prescribe IVF for conception.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 am Some states have already made laws that insurances have to cover IVF and other infertility treatments. When we did infertility treatments our insurance did have a $20,000 lifetime max coverage. So we were able to get some help paying for everything. We still paid out thousands of our own money but it was applied to deductible and we got some costs negotiated down and it very much helped.

Should all states have to cover infertility treatment and make it a nationwide thing?

I am in support of it. My reasoning is we have to pay for a 400 pound person who got that way by overeating and not exercising to have open heart surgery. We have to pay for a drunk driver to get patched up after they drink drunk and wreck.. We have to pay for the drug addict to go to rehab.

And those people put themselves in that situation. Infertile people often did nothing wrong to cause their infertility. It just happened. I was only 23 when we started TTC. I did not even do the whole "You waited too long to start trying thing". I was young. But I had a genetic disease PCOS that causes infertility. Nothing I did wrong.

It bothers me a lot of pro life people don't support this more. You think if they cared about babies so much they would support this so people can have more babies. And so that babies are less likely to die from miscarriage. With infertility doctors helping me I was able to stop having miscarriages. Without their help-I would have had miscarriage after miscarriage after miscarriage.

What are your views?
No. I think everyone should have to pay for their own medical costs, and apply for assistance when they can't afford it, instead of forcing healthy people to pay for care they never get so that strangers don't have to pay their own load for medical treatments.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

No. If you can't conceive naturally then there is probably a good reason and a good indication that you should not be a mother :roll:
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:03 am No. If you can't conceive naturally then there is probably a good reason and a good indication that you should not be a mother :roll:
That’s an incredibly bitchy response, and I say this having 6 years between my first and second child while trying to conceive naturally. I wouldn’t even use pills to make me ovulate, but I’m empathetic enough to understand why women do.....
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:14 am
Anonymous 14 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:03 am No. If you can't conceive naturally then there is probably a good reason and a good indication that you should not be a mother :roll:
That’s an incredibly bitchy response, and I say this having 6 years between my first and second child while trying to conceive naturally. I wouldn’t even use pills to make me ovulate, but I’m empathetic enough to understand why women do.....
I simply answered the post question with my honest opinion. You don't have to agree with it or like it.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:33 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 pm Eh, I don’t have a problem with fewer people procreating, or at least waiting until they’ve reached financial security to do so. China’s methods are a bit extreme and unsustainable.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm I NEVER claimed you did...but you communicated that pregnancy should occur when parents are financially prepared, right? It's elective, so parents should be prepared to pay 10's to 1000's of dollars for medical care -- I have read nearly all of your comments, that is clearly what you implied.

I was pointing out that adopting your opinion as a social norm (NOT through policy, but just through social acceptance) would mean a drastic drop in the birth rate, as the number who parents find themselves in a place to pay pay out of pocket for multiple pregnancies would be low. So the birth rate would drop dramatically, mimicking the situation we saw in China over the past several decades.

In theory, your "pregnancy should be considered an elective" procedure may seem to promote the value of autonomy & independence. Opponents would suggest that society NEEDS the birth rate of middle class parents who live paycheck to paycheck to remain stable. Paying for pregnancies and births is an investment in a generation of workers, who will grow up, work, earn income, generate revenue for businesses, create jobs, take care of all the elderly, pay taxes & social security, etc.

The problem is a lot of the time the ones that are infertile are the ones that waited and worked on their careers and built up substantial savings and bought a big house and went to college and have cars and all that. But now they can't have kids. And these are the people we WANT having kids. Middle or upper class people with educations and money and insurance and a home. Who will raise educated responsible kids.

But you don't help these people have kids then all you are going to get is teen moms and poor people having kids . And that is not good either. The stats back up what happens there.

Take DH and I. We started TTC early but we were both college educated. DH had a job with a lot of potential to move up (which he did), we had a place to live and savings and 2 cars and insurance and means to buy all baby gear etc. Would you rather from an overall benefit to society-help us have kids or would you prefer a teen mom instead? Our kids so far are pretty wonderful due to how well we have raised them with the means we have and our education.
All that doesn't determine you are a good parent. I know you think it does but it doesn't.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Yeah because these crack whores that get knocked up are the epitome of motherhood. Your logic fails.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:44 am
Yeah because these crack whores that get knocked up are the epitome of motherhood. Your logic fails.
Your logic fails. You are not a better parent because your dh has a better income or you paid to get pregnant.

I can see it pisses you off that so many can get pregnant on their own but you can't.

How much did dh throw down for you to get pregnant?
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 am
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:44 am
Your logic fails. You are not a better parent because your dh has a better income or you paid to get pregnant.

I can see it pisses you off that so many can get pregnant on their own but you can't.

How much did dh throw down for you to get pregnant?
I can see you are probably a broke teen pregnancy with no man and are jealous if those with a man and money.

He threw down probably more money than you have

And keep in mind, many of the popular nice posters have infertility so in your search to insult me- you are attacking them too.
Locked Previous topicNext topic