Should insurances have to cover IVF or other fertility treatments?

RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am I had two miscarriages. Your elective procedures shouldn’t be society’s responsibility. If my hypothetical nose job, etc. wouldn’t be covered, neither should your IVF.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am
Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

I do!
It’s heartbeaking to want to have a baby but suffer miscarriages or Infertility.
People that have not experienced miscarriages or infertility are often very unemphatic about it.
Its not really on "society". I am not talking about free healthcare that is income based. We pay for our insurance through our employer. So at most its on other people that are with our insurance. But like I said-I don't want to pay for the super fat person to have open heart surgery because they ate 10 Big Macs a day-but they make me pay for it. So well what is good for the goose is good for the gander
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 am Those aren’t elective procedures.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 am Heartbreaking isn’t reason for insurance to pay for electives. Adopt or save your money.

The same could be said for the 440 pound person who needs gastric bypass or open heart surgery. I could tell them "Its heartbreaking you ate yourself to this point but well save your money and stop eating".

You can apply that same logic to a million covered health problems
They would not be necessary if that person did not eat 10 Big Macs a day
Anonymous 3

Unread post

And again, those aren’t elective procedures.

And yes, the people who also pay for your insurance can be considered a fragment of society. But the word choice is irrelevant. I’ll change it to “ the people who also use your insurance company”, if that makes you happier.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am I had two miscarriages. Your elective procedures shouldn’t be society’s responsibility. If my hypothetical nose job, etc. wouldn’t be covered, neither should your IVF.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

People that have not experienced miscarriages or infertility are often very unemphatic about it.
Its not really on "society". I am not talking about free healthcare that is income based. We pay for our insurance through our employer. So at most its on other people that are with our insurance. But like I said-I don't want to pay for the super fat person to have open heart surgery because they ate 10 Big Macs a day-but they make me pay for it. So well what is good for the goose is good for the gander
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am
mcginnisc wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 am I went through infertility and no I don't think it should be covered in all honesty. You don't *have* to have children. Does infertility suck? Absolutely. That does not mean that people are entitled to have children. Having children is a choice. It is not necessary like a life saving measure is IMO.
But you have no problem covering drug addicts to go to rehab 10 times? That was a choice too. They chose to use drugs.
I agree with you.
I resent having to pay some of my taxes to help patch up alcoholics or drug addicts whose irresponsibility results in injuring themselves and others ! Or having to help pay to treat the serious health problems resulting from obesity and we know most obesity is a result of a lack of self control , eating too much(and not because of thyroid issues🙄)

Those are all CHOICES! They chose to be unhealthy due to their actions.

This is why health insurance costs have increased in the last few decades! Drugs , alcohol and overeating all cause major illnesses and repairs of the body and mind. They can pay for their own mistakes!

I’d rather help you!
And having a child is a positive and loving venture!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Doesn’t matter. They’re not elective procedures.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 am Those aren’t elective procedures.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am
The same could be said for the 440 pound person who needs gastric bypass or open heart surgery. I could tell them "Its heartbreaking you ate yourself to this point but well save your money and stop eating".

You can apply that same logic to a million covered health problems
They would not be necessary if that person did not eat 10 Big Macs a day
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 am And again, those aren’t elective procedures.

And yes, the people who also pay for your insurance can be considered a fragment of society. But the word choice is irrelevant. I’ll change it to “ the people who also use your insurance company”, if that makes you happier.

Well I don't want to pay for that addict to go to rehab 10 times. Why don't I get a say in that?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think if it will cover something elective and not needed it should also cover something absolutely needed such as insulin so that people don't have to choose between dying and rent.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Yes, I do.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I think that’s shitty, too. But I’m wagering it’s considered life saving treatment.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 am And again, those aren’t elective procedures.

Well I don't want to pay for that addict to go to rehab 10 times. Why don't I get a say in that?
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:43 am I think that’s shitty, too. But I’m wagering it’s considered life saving treatment.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am

You could argue infertility treatment is life saving too. Women have committed suicide over the sadness of never having kids
Locked Previous topicNext topic