20 month old doesn't speak many words...

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
4Toomany
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

My son is 20 mons. Says mom(ma,mum, mommy) all day, once and a while will day dad or dog, also hello and bye, and no. That's it. He used to say thank you but it has been months since he said it and he has had no new words in as long as 4 months. He does point, wave, give high fives, plays peekaboo, nod head to answer yes & no. He knows where his eye is but no other body parts, no shapes or colors. Doesn't follow simple instructions such as get the ball or put this in the trash ect. Hes also started tippy toe walking in the last month(or possibly I just noticed this recently)

Am I worrying too much? Seems my other kids knew/did more by this age?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

4Toomany wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:35 pm My son is 20 mons. Says mom(ma,mum, mommy) all day, once and a while will day dad or dog, also hello and bye. That's it. He used to say thank you but it has been months since he said it and he has had no new words in as long as 4 months. He does point, wave, give high fives, plays peekaboo. He knows where his eye is but no other body parts, no shapes or colors. Doesn't follow simple instructions such as get the ball or put this in the trash ect. Hes also started tippy toe walking in the last month(or possibly I just noticed this recently)

Am I worrying too much? Seems my other kids knew/did more by this age?
What does his pediatrician say? It's been a long time since I had a toddler but my daughter did know her body parts as well as her colors at that point. If you are concerned, you definitely should talk to your pediatrician and push for an evaluation. Get his hearing checked to make sure there are no problems there. But follow your gut. If he's behind, early intervention is really a good idea.
4Toomany
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

He hasn't been to the pediatrician recently, I didn't think I should worry until someone brought up his walking as a sign of autism. I don't think he has autism but I looked up what he should be doing developmentally and he seems a little behind from what I read online
4Toomany
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Bump. I really want to know if others would be worried?
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Both of my boys didn’t say much until 2. My ods didn’t say anything, just made noises. My ods started speech at 4 and he has apraxia of speech. My other ds is 3 and just started speech but he is much easier to understand than ods ever was.
4Toomany wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:20 am Bump. I really want to know if others would be worried?
🤓The Admin 🤓
4Toomany
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Thanks for the reply.
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Just in case you didn’t know how, you can quote a reply by clicking on the quotation marks next to the comment that you want to quote.
60895EBC-5D4D-4798-90FF-3B621B871A46.jpeg
Sometimes it helps bring people back to the topic if you quote 😊
4Toomany wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 pm Thanks for the reply.
🤓The Admin 🤓
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Your gut tells you something is wrong. I think there is. He has a speech delay. Cause? IDK. Pedi should direct you to Early Interventions- a federal entitlement.

Call your local EI. Get him assessed/evaluated. Bc he’s not the only/first child, there is a clear and legitimate concern. Ask about evaluation for autism if only to make a clear rule out of such diagnosis. EI is only til age 3.

Good luck. Do not let anyone tell you to just wait and see. They may mean well, but it is not in your child ‘s best interest.
Locked Previous topicNext topic