Bullying

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
hsvettelater
Villein
Villein

Unread post

My daughter was removed from public school almost a decade ago due to bullying. The bullying was by one student in particular. I also showed up unexpectedly to the school as I wondered what was going on in her classroom due to her behavior changing. I walked in on the teacher verbally embarrassing my daughter in front of the whole class.
This teacher also would do this picking game, with an odd number of kids in the class, which meant there would always be **one** child who was left out. That might sound like not a big deal to some people, but for a child who is having social problems, the fact that no one picks this child, just magnifies the problem. My child was never picked quite often. I even went and talked to this teacher about this issue/game, and asked her to please stop doing it. She kept on.
This school (it was K, 1st, and 2nd grades) had a no-bullying policy posted on the front door; they never enforced it though. This district also has problems at the other schools. The middle school constantly has the police there, and the high school isn't much better.
We are an extremely rural area. The bullying runs rampant and the district/teachers look the other way. Obviously, nothing has changed, as there was a teen girl who attempted suicide last year due to bullying.
--Lynn--Mom to one great teenager and three fur-babies. Grateful to still be breathing.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

hsvettelater wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:06 pm My daughter was removed from public school almost a decade ago due to bullying. The bullying was by one student in particular. I also showed up unexpectedly to the school as I wondered what was going on in her classroom due to her behavior changing. I walked in on the teacher verbally embarrassing my daughter in front of the whole class.
This teacher also would do this picking game, with an odd number of kids in the class, which meant there would always be **one** child who was left out. That might sound like not a big deal to some people, but for a child who is having social problems, the fact that no one picks this child, just magnifies the problem. My child was never picked quite often. I even went and talked to this teacher about this issue/game, and asked her to please stop doing it. She kept on.
This school (it was K, 1st, and 2nd grades) had a no-bullying policy posted on the front door; they never enforced it though. This district also has problems at the other schools. The middle school constantly has the police there, and the high school isn't much better.
We are an extremely rural area. The bullying runs rampant and the district/teachers look the other way. Obviously, nothing has changed, as there was a teen girl who attempted suicide last year due to bullying.
That entire situation is terrible. That teacher should know better.
hsvettelater
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 am
hsvettelater wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:06 pm My daughter was removed from public school almost a decade ago due to bullying. The bullying was by one student in particular. I also showed up unexpectedly to the school as I wondered what was going on in her classroom due to her behavior changing. I walked in on the teacher verbally embarrassing my daughter in front of the whole class.
That entire situation is terrible. That teacher should know better.
Yeah, it wasn't good. Don't get me wrong; I know public school teachers are extremely busy, but I think a good teacher is someone who recognizes when one of their students is struggling socially. When kids have problems fitting in, are being bullied, etc, the negative effects spill over into other areas (academics, their self-esteem, self-confidence, etc.). This teacher could have tried to help my child; she chose to go the opposite route and let the whole class know that she didn't really like my daughter. That, in no way, could have helped. I reported the situation (the student bullying and the incompetent teacher) to the principal. I might as well have been telling him the pb&j sandwiches in the cafeteria sucked; he literally didn't care. We were done with this district the same day.
--Lynn--Mom to one great teenager and three fur-babies. Grateful to still be breathing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic