I’m not anti-choice

Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:51 pm
Yoloo wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 pm
DSamuels wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Since you do not seem to be smart enough to be able to give me a specific brand I will go with a popular one

https://www.centerwatch.com/directories ... norgestrel

. Although the primary mechanism of this action is inhibition of ovulation, other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus (which increase the difficulty of sperm entry into the uterus) and changes in the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation).

I can prove it with any brand of hormonal birth control.
I have neither the time nor inclination to give you brands of BCP to you. You seem to be the not-so-smart one as you don’t seem to understand the difference between different hormonal birth control. They do not all work the same. Progestin, not progesterone, changes the cervical mucus. In combination hormonal birth control pills the objective is no ovulation.
Combination hormonal birth control stops ovulation. Progestin-only birth control only stops ovulation in about 40% of women, but its other effects on the cervical mucus and uterine lining act to prevent pregnancy if ovulation occurs.
And I would never, ever trust information from some stranger claiming to know things, calling me stupid, telling me my doctors are shitty and yet claiming multiple articles from medical websites, including PP, are wrong.

Nice try troll. Good night.
Lol guess you better call the FDA up and tell them they are wrong.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yoloo wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 pm
DSamuels wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Not much of a reader of comments I guess. My first sentence to you was

Hmm, I was told that hormonal birth control pills prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation.
Lol oh the irony. You didn't even read the website. Hormonal birth control pills do thin the lining of the uterus. Your own website says that.

You really are not very smart.
BTW I meant specific brand.
Really? The last line talks about the lining and that it pertains to progestin pills only. I guess you either skipped or didn’t comprehend the first part of the article.

How hormonal birth control prevents pregnancy

By Dawn Stacey, PhD, LMHC Medically reviewed by
Hormonal birth control supplies a steady level of both progestin and/or estrogen every day. This steady supply of hormone helps birth control stop ovulation. 1In order to get pregnant, there must be an egg for the sperm to fertilize. So, when birth control stops ovulation, an egg is not released from the ovary. With no egg for the sperm to join, pregnancy is prevented.

Combination birth control methods (such as the birth control pill, the patch, and NuvaRing) have the main goal each month of preventing your body from releasing an egg. Sometimes, progestin-only birth control (like Depo-Provera, the minipill, Mirena, Nexplanon, and Skyla) can also do this. The estrogen and/or progestin found in these methods can cause birth control to stop ovulation.
I guess the BCP that were available when we needed them were quite different from the ones out there today! Used to be that while the main purpose of the pill was to prevent ovulation, there was a chance that the amount of the hormone was not right, and an egg MIGHT be released, so there were other hormones to prevent oregnancy in other ways (cervical mucus and thinning the lining). Every body is different, so a one-size-fits-all hormonal birth control pill will not work for every woman. And then, even with all the ways that the pill prevents pregnancy, it IS still possible to become pregnant while taking the pill...
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm
Yoloo wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 pm
Lol oh the irony. You didn't even read the website. Hormonal birth control pills do thin the lining of the uterus. Your own website says that.

You really are not very smart.
BTW I meant specific brand.
Really? The last line talks about the lining and that it pertains to progestin pills only. I guess you either skipped or didn’t comprehend the first part of the article.

How hormonal birth control prevents pregnancy

By Dawn Stacey, PhD, LMHC Medically reviewed by
Hormonal birth control supplies a steady level of both progestin and/or estrogen every day. This steady supply of hormone helps birth control stop ovulation. 1In order to get pregnant, there must be an egg for the sperm to fertilize. So, when birth control stops ovulation, an egg is not released from the ovary. With no egg for the sperm to join, pregnancy is prevented.

Combination birth control methods (such as the birth control pill, the patch, and NuvaRing) have the main goal each month of preventing your body from releasing an egg. Sometimes, progestin-only birth control (like Depo-Provera, the minipill, Mirena, Nexplanon, and Skyla) can also do this. The estrogen and/or progestin found in these methods can cause birth control to stop ovulation.
I guess the BCP that were available when we needed them were quite different from the ones out there today! Used to be that while the main purpose of the pill was to prevent ovulation, there was a chance that the amount of the hormone was not right, and an egg MIGHT be released, so there were other hormones to prevent oregnancy in other ways (cervical mucus and thinning the lining). Every body is different, so a one-size-fits-all hormonal birth control pill will not work for every woman. And then, even with all the ways that the pill prevents pregnancy, it IS still possible to become pregnant while taking the pill...
It is possible, but I think in most cases the pregnancy is caused by user error, ie forgetting to take the pill or contraindications like antibiotic use. The combo with estrogen and progestin is meant and designed to stop ovulation. There were different levels so the lowest level may not prevent ovulation and you might need to bump the strength up. The progestin only pills were the ones that worked with the cervical mucus and uterine lining.

I believe that some of the IUDs on the market also have hormones. Those I have not looked at to see if they prevent ovulation. The IUD was originally designed to prevent implantation which is why some people are not comfortable using it.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Will you ever just admit to being wrong?

Why is this medication prescribed?
Oral contraceptives (birth-control pills) are used to prevent pregnancy. Estrogen and progestin are two female S*x hormones. Combinations of estrogen and progestin work by preventing ovulation (the release of eggs from the ovaries). They also change the lining of the uterus (womb) to prevent pregnancy from developing and change the mucus at the cervix (opening of the uterus) to prevent sperm (male reproductive cells) from entering.

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a601050.html
DSamuels wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am

It is possible, but I think in most cases the pregnancy is caused by user error, ie forgetting to take the pill or contraindications like antibiotic use. The combo with estrogen and progestin is meant and designed to stop ovulation. There were different levels so the lowest level may not prevent ovulation and you might need to bump the strength up. The progestin only pills were the ones that worked with the cervical mucus and uterine lining.

I believe that some of the IUDs on the market also have hormones. Those I have not looked at to see if they prevent ovulation. The IUD was originally designed to prevent implantation which is why some people are not comfortable using it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's what I meant, the different levels. If the doc prescribed a pill that was too low, it might not work as it was supposed to. But, having had my tubes tied 21 years ago, it really hasn't been a huge issue for me.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Care to share with the rest of us where you got all your training? What school did you attend, what is your specialty? Did you stay with the OB/GYN or move on to something more exciting? You can't come on here and act like you're the professional without at least offering up something to back your ass up.
Yoloo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:04 am Will you ever just admit to being wrong?

Oral contraceptives (birth-control pills) are used to prevent pregnancy. Estrogen and progestin are two female S*x hormones. Combinations of estrogen and progestin work by preventing ovulation (the release of eggs from the ovaries). They also change the lining of the uterus (womb) to prevent pregnancy from developing and change the mucus at the cervix (opening of the uterus) to prevent sperm (male reproductive cells) from entering.

Expand your thinking

Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LMAO! What am I wrong about? You just put it there. When are you going to admit that you are wrong? No ovulation = no fertilized egg = no pregnancy. That is what the pill is designed to do period. IF it somehow fails (usually because of user error or antibiotic use) and some sperm miraculously get through then the lining isn’t as hospitable to implantation although it’s not impossible.

All along I have been talking about the main purpose of the BCP, to PREVENT ovulation first.

Edited to change “fertile days” to “fertilized”

Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You don't have to attend school for this to know the basics of how birth control works.

I did back up everything I have said. Do you think the FDA and the manufacturers of the birth control are wrong?

29again wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:11 am Care to share with the rest of us where you got all your training? What school did you attend, what is your specialty? Did you stay with the OB/GYN or move on to something more exciting? You can't come on here and act like you're the professional without at least offering up something to back your ass up.

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

OK, so you know exactly as much as DSam and myself. But we at least understand that the main purpose of hormonal birth control pills is to PREVENT OVULATION in the first place. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time with that simple concept. Maybe you're trying too hard to sound like you know something you really don't know??
Yoloo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:14 am You don't have to attend school for this to know the basics of how birth control works.

I did back up everything I have said. Do you think the FDA and the manufacturers of the birth control are wrong?

29again wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:11 am Care to share with the rest of us where you got all your training? What school did you attend, what is your specialty? Did you stay with the OB/GYN or move on to something more exciting? You can't come on here and act like you're the professional without at least offering up something to back your ass up.

Expand your thinking

Try it.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I never once said it doesnt prevent ovulation. She is the one who quoted me to argue. Her initial comment was incorrect.

All hormonal birth control works in the same three ways.
29again wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 am OK, so you know exactly as much as DSam and myself. But we at least understand that the main purpose of hormonal birth control pills is to PREVENT OVULATION in the first place. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time with that simple concept. Maybe you're trying too hard to sound like you know something you really don't know??
Yoloo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:14 am You don't have to attend school for this to know the basics of how birth control works.

Locked Previous topicNext topic