I’m not anti-choice

Deleted User 670

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:34 pm
EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 am What a load of bullshit. It's a fetus not a baby. There is NO scientific evidence that "life" begins at conception-that is just religious claptrap. So no, you don't get to make decisions about other women's bodies.
At what point does this human growing inside a woman go from fetus to baby?
When it is breathing air and outside the woman's body and completely independent from her physically (ie no longer attached via an umbilical cord and placenta is no longer attached to the woman's uterus .
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Yoloo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:52 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 pm I do believe that life begins at conception and for myself, during my child-bearing years, I could never have had an abortion.

A few people I know personally have had one and I completely respect their legal right to choose for themselves what they did with their own bodies. Their situations have all been unique and it was not a matter of no birth control or lack of ANY type of control.

We cannot dictate as a collective whole what others do with their own bodies. We may not like their choices but that's just it......it was THEIR decisions to make, and this includes women who opt to have a legal, safe abortion.
So if you believe life starts at concept did you ever use hormonal birth control?
I did at one time. This would have been 1994. I was placed on a bcp called Ovcon 35 and was on it for several months.

I did end up becoming pregnant and not aware I was. A lot of things were going on with my family, including my late dad being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and dying 16 days later. I was also still breast-feeding our son and not having a period.

A month later, we did a home pregnancy test which came back positive. Went into my gyn the next day to have HIM confirm, which he did. He put me at 6 weeks pregnant.

Long story short, which includes a miscarriage that had me in the hospital for three days (due to the baby/fetus still being alive at the time I was losing her), I was actually 18 weeks pregnant. My cervix had dilated prematurely at some point, allowing for the amniotic sac to fall through intact, leaving her without it.

While I believe that life begins at conception, I also feel very strongly that not only do forms of bc work for every woman, they're not a disregard to the sentiment of life beginning at conception.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:29 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 pm I do believe that life begins at conception and for myself, during my child-bearing years, I could never have had an abortion.

A few people I know personally have had one and I completely respect their legal right to choose for themselves what they did with their own bodies. Their situations have all been unique and it was not a matter of no birth control or lack of ANY type of control.

We cannot dictate as a collective whole what others do with their own bodies. We may not like their choices but that's just it......it was THEIR decisions to make, and this includes women who opt to have a legal, safe abortion.
So if you believe life starts at concept did you ever use hormonal birth control?
I did at one time. This would have been 1994. I was placed on a bcp called Ovcon 35 and was on it for several months.

I did end up becoming pregnant and not aware I was. A lot of things were going on with my family, including my late dad being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and dying 16 days later. I was also still breast-feeding our son and not having a period.

A month later, we did a home pregnancy test which came back positive. Went into my gyn the next day to have HIM confirm, which he did. He put me at 6 weeks pregnant.

Long story short, which includes a miscarriage that had me in the hospital for three days (due to the baby/fetus still being alive at the time I was losing her), I was actually 18 weeks pregnant. My cervix had dilated prematurely at some point, allowing for the amniotic sac to fall through intact, leaving her without it.

While I believe that life begins at conception, I also feel very strongly that not only do forms of bc work for every woman, they're not a disregard to the sentiment of life beginning at conception.
Sorry but your logic doesn't make much sense. You say life begins at conception and then you support birth control that is designed to make sure a fertilized egg doesn't turn into a pregnancy. That is a direct contradiction.

I am sorry for what you went through though.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Abortion has always been and still is a choice. Those who are pro-choice wish it to remain legal and safe. Those who are pro-life wish to make it illegal and unsafe.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Yoloo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Sorry but your logic doesn't make much sense. You say life begins at conception and then you support birth control that is designed to make sure a fertilized egg doesn't turn into a pregnancy. That is a direct contradiction.

The TRUE beauty of "choice" is not just about abortion. It's also about beliefs in general and what someone feels is best for their own, private life.

Not everything in life is black or white, and this includes politics and beliefs such as when life begins.

It's not a contradiction except perhaps to the traditional beliefs (and/or the perception of those beliefs by others) of a lot of pro life women. That is also their choice.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 pm

The TRUE beauty of "choice" is not just about abortion. It's also about beliefs in general and what someone feels is best for their own, private life.

Not everything in life is black or white, and this includes politics and beliefs such as when life begins.

It's not a contradiction except perhaps to the traditional beliefs (and/or the perception of those beliefs by others) of a lot of pro life women. That is also their choice.
I am 100% pro choice and have no issue with birth control

I'm not sure how you don't see that hormonal birth control is a direct contradiction to life beginning at conception.

Hormonal birth control works to "kill" a fertilized egg which would already be alive if you think life begins at conception. It is pretty black and white in this case.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

[/quote..

Hormonal birth control prevents ovulation. Therefore, there is no fertilized egg.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 pm

[/quote..

Hormonal birth control prevents ovulation. Therefore, there is no fertilized egg.
That is just one of the ways it works. It also thins the uterine lining so a fertilized egg can not implant. Feel free to look it up or give an example of any hormonal birth control and I will provide the information for you.

It is for this exact reason there are so many pro life people who do not use hormonal birth control. It prevents life after conception and one of the goals of hormonal birth control is for a fertilized egg to be expelled not implanted.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yoloo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:45 pm

[/quote..

That is just one of the ways it works. It also thins the uterine lining so a fertilized egg can not implant. Feel free to look it up or give an example of any hormonal birth control and I will provide the information for you.

It is for this exact reason there are so many pro life people who do not use hormonal birth control. It prevents life after conception and one of the goals of hormonal birth control is for a fertilized egg to be expelled not implanted.
So, let me make sure I understand. One of the ways hormonal bc works is by not allowing the woman to ovulate, so then the non-ovulated fertilized egg can't be implanted??

If the body does not ovulate, there simply is no egg to be fertilized. That is logic. It doesn't matter what else the hbc does or does not do, if the egg is not released, it cannot be fertilized.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hormonal birth control works in three main ways
1. Trying to prevent ovulation
2. Making the cervical mucus thicker so sperm can not reach the egg
3. Thinning the uterine lining so that a fertilized egg can not implant.

It is number 3 that people who truly believe life starts at conception have an issue with. There is no way for a normal woman to know each month which mechanism or combination of mechanisms worked to prevent pregnancy. There is no guarantee that birth control will stop ovulation which is exactly why it has more than one mechanism of action.

I do remember a study where it shows the longer you were on birth control the less likely it was to prevent ovulation.
29again wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:49 pm
Yoloo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:45 pm

So, let me make sure I understand. One of the ways hormonal bc works is by not allowing the woman to ovulate, so then the non-ovulated fertilized egg can't be implanted??

If the body does not ovulate, there simply is no egg to be fertilized. That is logic. It doesn't matter what else the hbc does or does not do, if the egg is not released, it cannot be fertilized.
Locked Previous topicNext topic