Has anyone tried CBT?

Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

The pediatrician is suggesting it for DS's anxiety. I'm having difficulty finding someone who will work with adolescents.

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 pm Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

The pediatrician is suggesting it for DS's anxiety. I'm having difficulty finding someone who will work with adolescents.
I’ve never heard of it, what do they do?

Unread post

No, but DH is a pediatric psychiatrist and a big believer in it.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

No but I'm trying to find someone here for my kid. She also has an Executive Function disorder that fuels the anxiety. I've been reading up on it and that can be helped too.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:31 pm

I’ve never heard of it, what do they do?
As far as I understand it, CBT trains you to change your internal dialogue so you eventually have a different reaction to a situation. For instance, if you get anxious whenever you have to speak in public, your usual reaction might be to panic and shut down when asked. Instead, you could retrain yourself to think positive thoughts by gradually working things around to what is likely to happen. "What are you scared of if you speak in public?"
I'm scared that someone might laugh at me.
"Why is that not likely?"
That's unlikely because they are also scared of speaking in public. The things I have to say are important. Other people are also nervous. Most of the people I'm speaking in front of know me and are supportive.

I think that for the behavioral part you then speak in public and find out that no one laughs at you and that afterward people say you did a good job.

Instead of spinning yourself up about how awful things are, you retrain your brain so that you can do what you need to do. With anxiety, you start the "fight or flight" response to little things that you know you can do. So, you retrain your brain that it's a situation you can handle and gradually get rid of the fight or flight.

It's a short term therapy with a specific goal.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 pm No, but DH is a pediatric psychiatrist and a big believer in it.
Does he have any suggestions for where to look and what questions I should ask to make sure that the clinician actually can do CBT and isn't just saying it's a specialty? There are a lot of names on the insurance list and it doesn't list what kind of therapies they do. If I can't find someone who's covered with insurance, how much should I be paying out-of-pocket? Thanks in advance.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:20 pm

No but I'm trying to find someone here for my kid. She also has an Executive Function disorder that fuels the anxiety. I've been reading up on it and that can be helped too.
That's interesting because DS has ADHD and major Executive Functioning issues.
Linaluo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I know someone that does this and it works for them. I would love to see if it works for my son
"We were born free and we will stay free" -President Trump 2020
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is a good resource for locating the right therapy for yourself or your teens.

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/Famil ... Caregivers
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My daughter has had CBT on and off for years. It does help considerably for her to manage her anxiety and bipolar symptoms. When I see her starting to go off track we get her in for a "tune up" as her therapist calls it. This usually happens after med adjustments.
Locked Previous topicNext topic