IMPORTANT: Do Not Copy and Paste Entire Articles

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wow, actually a DMCA notice for a republishing / copywriter infringement violation? Or since you mention Google - their advice is not to allow it due to their strategy for optimizing search engines by reducing duplicate content?

I guess this is what Billie asked above, sorry for the duplicate question.

I appreciate just the link and a summary - some of those full articles are so long to read. Although many news sites now require a digital subscription, so reading at the links is going to be really difficult.

ERA - just saw your reply!
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It appears no notice -

Yep- just google, being google.

(I never understand why busybodies that don't know the answer to a question have to insert themselves)
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm Wow, actually a DMCA notice for a republishing / copywriter infringement violation? Or since you mention Google - their advice is not to allow it due to their strategy for optimizing search engines by reducing duplicate content?

I appreciate just the link and a summary - some of those full articles are so long to read. Although many news sites now require a digital subscription, so reading at the links is going to be really difficult.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yea, google is very strict on what they do and don’t allow. I get notices from them daily about things that need changed but this was my first real theat.

The other sites that I deal with are all original blog content. I’ve never had an entire forum group demonetized before for dmca violations but the forums that I ran before were much different than this one.
Billie.jeens wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm It appears no notice -

(I never understand why busybodies that don't know the answer to a question have to insert themselves)
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm Wow, actually a DMCA notice for a republishing / copywriter infringement violation? Or since you mention Google - their advice is not to allow it due to their strategy for optimizing search engines by reducing duplicate content?

🤓The Admin 🤓
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I guess Google assumes they are helping you. But I wouldn't say they can prove a DMCA violation - they have no way of knowing if (example here) I have written authorization from the original author to republish - and some news sites give blanket authorization to republish as long as you retain their guidelines and agree to the terms of republishing.

But erring on the side of caution is best. It also helps you with a track record of compliance - you can show you earned us and you'll need to remove violating posts. By doing so, you won't have to turn over individual users information .

Thanks for the additional detail.
12skipafew wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm Yea, google is very strict on what they do and don’t allow. I get notices from them daily about things that need changed but this was my first real theat.

The other sites that I deal with are all original blog content. I’ve never had an entire forum group demonetized before for dmca violations but the forums that I ran before were much different than this one.

12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Things also get more difficult with a forum. If I reposted an article with written authorization or shared it within guidelines on a blog, I could appeal to google with my evidence and have the content indexed and monetized again.

With a forum, I would have to research each source and request authorization either from the source or have the person who posted acquire authorization and then submit evidence. At this point news and politics has a lot of topics made and most of them are articles.

My options at this point are to either delete all of the current posts made, go through myself and adjust the posts, or request the topic authors to change the posts, then resubmit to google and hope that it’s good enough.

I really don’t want to start fresh with news and politics but it would be the easier option since this is the main group they are upset about. I’m going to think of ways I can do this without effecting things too much. One option I was thinking about is to delete older posts and change up the newer ones to fit the guidelines.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm I guess Google assumes they are helping you. But I wouldn't say they can prove a DMCA violation - they have no way of knowing if (example here) I have written authorization from the original author to republish - and some news sites give blanket authorization to republish as long as you retain their guidelines and agree to the terms of republishing.

But erring on the side of caution is best. It also helps you with a track record of compliance - you can show you earned us and you'll need to remove violating posts. By doing so, you won't have to turn over individual users information .

12skipafew wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm Yea, google is very strict on what they do and don’t allow. I get notices from them daily about things that need changed but this was my first real theat.

🤓The Admin 🤓
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Big challenges.
I'd vote for starting fresh - just group delete. I fear your reports will increase though as people will mainly be fighting over opinions without being able to post articles that support their opinion. As I said before, many sites are requiring subscriptions- so I know when I see a Washington Post link I won't even click on it - can't read it. But this is a necessary evil for you to remain searchable and monetized by Google. Trying to maintain lists of authorizations would be a nightmare.
12skipafew wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm Things also get more difficult with a forum. If I reposted an article with written authorization or shared it within guidelines on a blog, I could appeal to google with my evidence and have the content indexed and monetized again.

With a forum, I would have to research each source and request authorization either from the source or have the person who posted acquire authorization and then submit evidence. At this point news and politics has a lot of topics made and most of them are articles.

My options at this point are to either delete all of the current posts made, go through myself and adjust the posts, or request the topic authors to change the posts, then resubmit to google and hope that it’s good enough.

I really don’t want to start fresh with news and politics but it would be the easier option since this is the main group they are upset about. I’m going to think of ways I can do this without effecting things too much. One option I was thinking about is to delete older posts and change up the newer ones to fit the guidelines.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm I guess Google assumes they are helping you. But I wouldn't say they can prove a DMCA violation - they have no way of knowing if (example here) I have written authorization from the original author to republish - and some news sites give blanket authorization to republish as long as you retain their guidelines and agree to the terms of republishing.

morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Delete this group? Then what?
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 pm Big challenges.
I'd vote for starting fresh - just group delete. I fear your reports will increase though as people will mainly be fighting over opinions without being able to post articles that support their opinion. As I said before, many sites are requiring subscriptions- so I know when I see a Washington Post link I won't even click on it - can't read it. But this is a necessary evil for you to remain searchable and monetized by Google. Trying to maintain lists of authorizations would be a nightmare.
12skipafew wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm Things also get more difficult with a forum. If I reposted an article with written authorization or shared it within guidelines on a blog, I could appeal to google with my evidence and have the content indexed and monetized again.

KAG
Mean Girl
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When the idiot progressives figure out what monetize means, they are going to be pissed anyway.

“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not going to call them idiots, but progressives really may have an issue with it.

Myself, as a capitalist, I'm happy to help figure out the best way to improve or optimize monetization, without me subscribing that is.
Billie.jeens wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:23 pm When the idiot progressives figure out what monetize means, they are going to be pissed anyway.

Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Are you getting a cut?
KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 pm I'm not going to call them idiots, but progressives really may have an issue with it.

Myself, as a capitalist, I'm happy to help figure out the best way to improve or optimize monetization, without me subscribing that is.
Billie.jeens wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:23 pm When the idiot progressives figure out what monetize means, they are going to be pissed anyway.

Locked Previous topicNext topic