NYC Jewish community on high alert from protests threatened with trio of bomb threats at synagogues

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:28 pm Thing is, this has never been “pro Palestine”. And antisemitism isn’t the result of Israel’s actions. Israel hatred is a result of antisemitism.
These people didn’t suddenly start hating Jews because Israel got attacked by Hamas and retaliated. These people attack and demonize Israel because they hate Jews. It’s just that it’s now cool and trendy to do so. And you just have to say you’re “criticizing Israel actions” or you just “don’t like Netanyahu” and you can go chanting for the destruction of Israel and the genocide of Jews feeling you’re being moral and noble.
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm One of my fears of equating pro Palestine with antisemitism is that people take Israel’s actions as a whole out of the Jewish people. Of course violence, especially toward random civilians, should never be used in protest, but beyond that the Jewish people are not responsible for Israel’s military actions just like Muslims aren’t responsible for Hamas’s horrible actions. The call for peace for all people is lost when violence is used to persecute a group of innocent people who have the right to practice their faith. A message can not be spread through fear.
That's YOUR narrative. Your OPINION.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

For many, it very much is about pro Palestine and not anti Israel. Antisemitism isn’t the result of Israel’s actions. Protesting against Israel’s actions is about Israel’s actions. I have no doubt that antisemitism exists and is an active problem, as shown by these bomb threats, and I am sure some are using Palestine as an excuse to show their antisemitism. But that doesn’t mean every person who protests Israel’s current actions is antisemitic.

I very much support Israel and the Jewish peoples right to peacefully practice their culture and religion without fear of others. I don’t support the current Israeli militaries actions. Not because it’s cool or because it’s Israel, but because I don’t support the mass killing of innocent civilians, especially children, regardless of who is doing the killing or why. Just like I don’t support Hamas’s attack on Israel or beijings actions against the Uyghurs and I don’t think the US military did enough to prevent civilian deaths during the war in Iraq. It has nothing to do with the religion of the military because the military is made up of humans who do not define a religion. One of my many fears of the current situation in Palestine is that all of these people who are left with dead families don’t care that they were killed in an attempt to target a terrorist, they just know their baby or parent or sibling is dead and it will just create another cycle of hatred toward Israel.

My mother is French and has relatives who were members of the French resistance and who advocated for the original creation of Israel. My father is Japanese and has relatives who both were both in the US and in Japan during the war. I know what it’s like for civilians who live on the wrong side of a war. My grandmother cries when she watches action movies because any screaming and chaos reminds her of the bombings. My great grandfather was in an internment camp and cried when he found out my father was moving to the US, because it was the country that betrayed him and that caused innocent relatives to starve to death and die in bombings. I know the hatred that can come from it and I don’t want that for Palestine or Israel.

Violence and fear in protests is not acceptable and should be condemned. But every protest around here has been very peaceful. We have local synagogues who have hosted vigils in support of a ceasefire. No one I know who disapproves of the Israeli militaries actions wants Israel to end or holds this against the Jewish people. I’m not saying there aren’t many antisemites who do, but that isn’t the entirety. I just hope for safety for all groups involved who want nothing but to live in peace.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:28 pm Thing is, this has never been “pro Palestine”. And antisemitism isn’t the result of Israel’s actions. Israel hatred is a result of antisemitism.
These people didn’t suddenly start hating Jews because Israel got attacked by Hamas and retaliated. These people attack and demonize Israel because they hate Jews. It’s just that it’s now cool and trendy to do so. And you just have to say you’re “criticizing Israel actions” or you just “don’t like Netanyahu” and you can go chanting for the destruction of Israel and the genocide of Jews feeling you’re being moral and noble.
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm One of my fears of equating pro Palestine with antisemitism is that people take Israel’s actions as a whole out of the Jewish people. Of course violence, especially toward random civilians, should never be used in protest, but beyond that the Jewish people are not responsible for Israel’s military actions just like Muslims aren’t responsible for Hamas’s horrible actions. The call for peace for all people is lost when violence is used to persecute a group of innocent people who have the right to practice their faith. A message can not be spread through fear.

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess you’ll have to live it to see it.
Even you, who says you support Israel and Jews, then go with “but”… and then say you believe the bunch of lies, tropes and blood libels thrown at Israel. I’ve asked all around, no one seems to be able to give an explanation for the blatant double standard Israel goes through. You do realize “pro Palestine” protests started before Israel’s retaliation?
And tell me, if a group of Mexican narcos entered the U.S and did what Hamas did on October 7th: brutally murdered Americans in their homes, raped women, mutilated men, women and children, burned people alive and then took hundreds of American hostages into Mexico. And these cartel people were accompanied by Mexican “civilians”. Then as innocent hostages are dragged through the streets of Mexico and the bodies of those raped and murdered are paraded, Mexicans celebrate, cheer, spit on the Americans and help keep them captive for over half a year. What would YOU expect the American military to do? And then have the world
tell America that not only they shouldn’t themselves, they should provide aid to all those Mexicans who were complicit and agree with the cartel’s actions. And even after going above and beyond to protect civilian lives, the world turns and starts accusing America of a “genocide” that’s not happening and “war crimes” they’re not committing. And then there are protests questioning how legitimate the U.S and that it shouldn’t exist, because it should be all Mexico.
THAT is what happening to Israel. THAT’s what even the most good intentioned person is seeing as perfectly acceptable.
So why is Israel held to an impossible standard when defending herself from terrorists? Why all the lies that, as I said, even good hearted people just believe without question? There are many wars and true genocides going on in the world, where are the protests? Why is it only when Israel is involved that people suddenly care? I feel so sorry for the pool people of Nigeria, going through an actual genocide, their young women kidnapped to be sold as S*x slaves, and no one cares. No one protests, no one demands action, because OMG! Israel is doing something!!!
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:04 pm For many, it very much is about pro Palestine and not anti Israel. Antisemitism isn’t the result of Israel’s actions. Protesting against Israel’s actions is about Israel’s actions. I have no doubt that antisemitism exists and is an active problem, as shown by these bomb threats, and I am sure some are using Palestine as an excuse to show their antisemitism. But that doesn’t mean every person who protests Israel’s current actions is antisemitic.

I very much support Israel and the Jewish peoples right to peacefully practice their culture and religion without fear of others. I don’t support the current Israeli militaries actions. Not because it’s cool or because it’s Israel, but because I don’t support the mass killing of innocent civilians, especially children, regardless of who is doing the killing or why. Just like I don’t support Hamas’s attack on Israel or beijings actions against the Uyghurs and I don’t think the US military did enough to prevent civilian deaths during the war in Iraq. It has nothing to do with the religion of the military because the military is made up of humans who do not define a religion. One of my many fears of the current situation in Palestine is that all of these people who are left with dead families don’t care that they were killed in an attempt to target a terrorist, they just know their baby or parent or sibling is dead and it will just create another cycle of hatred toward Israel.

Violence and fear in protests is not acceptable and should be condemned. But every protest around here has been very peaceful. We have local synagogues who have hosted vigils in support of a ceasefire. No one I know who disapproves of the Israeli militaries actions wants Israel to end or holds this against the Jewish people. I’m not saying there aren’t many antisemites who do, but that isn’t the entirety. I just hope for safety for all groups involved who want nothing but to live in peace.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:52 pm if a group of Mexican narcos entered the U.S and did what Hamas did on October 7th: brutally murdered Americans in their homes, raped women, mutilated men, women and children, burned people alive and then took hundreds of American hostages into Mexico. And these cartel people were accompanied by Mexican “civilians”. Then as innocent hostages are dragged through the streets of Mexico and the bodies of those raped and murdered are paraded, Mexicans celebrate, cheer, spit on the Americans and help keep them captive for over half a year. What would YOU expect the American military to do?
[/quote]
[/quote]

I would NEVER support the kind of response out of the United States military that the world has seen from the country of NEVER AGAIN.
306/232

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:52 pm I guess you’ll have to live it to see it.
Even you, who says you support Israel and Jews, then go with “but”… and then say you believe the bunch of lies, tropes and blood libels thrown at Israel. I’ve asked all around, no one seems to be able to give an explanation for the blatant double standard Israel goes through. You do realize “pro Palestine” protests started before Israel’s retaliation?
And tell me, if a group of Mexican narcos entered the U.S and did what Hamas did on October 7th: brutally murdered Americans in their homes, raped women, mutilated men, women and children, burned people alive and then took hundreds of American hostages into Mexico. And these cartel people were accompanied by Mexican “civilians”. Then as innocent hostages are dragged through the streets of Mexico and the bodies of those raped and murdered are paraded, Mexicans celebrate, cheer, spit on the Americans and help keep them captive for over half a year. What would YOU expect the American military to do? And then have the world
tell America that not only they shouldn’t themselves, they should provide aid to all those Mexicans who were complicit and agree with the cartel’s actions. And even after going above and beyond to protect civilian lives, the world turns and starts accusing America of a “genocide” that’s not happening and “war crimes” they’re not committing. And then there are protests questioning how legitimate the U.S and that it shouldn’t exist, because it should be all Mexico.
THAT is what happening to Israel. THAT’s what even the most good intentioned person is seeing as perfectly acceptable.
So why is Israel held to an impossible standard when defending herself from terrorists? Why all the lies that, as I said, even good hearted people just believe without question? There are many wars and true genocides going on in the world, where are the protests? Why is it only when Israel is involved that people suddenly care? I feel so sorry for the pool people of Nigeria, going through an actual genocide, their young women kidnapped to be sold as S*x slaves, and no one cares. No one protests, no one demands action, because OMG! Israel is doing something!!!
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:04 pm For many, it very much is about pro Palestine and not anti Israel. Antisemitism isn’t the result of Israel’s actions. Protesting against Israel’s actions is about Israel’s actions. I have no doubt that antisemitism exists and is an active problem, as shown by these bomb threats, and I am sure some are using Palestine as an excuse to show their antisemitism. But that doesn’t mean every person who protests Israel’s current actions is antisemitic.

I understand and respect your view. However you need to understand that others will have and are entitled to another view without being anti-Semitic. The issue become that the general public are no longer seeing this as a war against Hamas, they are seeing the Humanitarian crisis this war has created and it is one sided in that aspect. They are seeing the 100,000 already displaced persons being told to evacuate yet again, they are seeing Israeli tanks on the streets of Rafah, they are hearing the UN state that Northern Gaza is experiencing extreme famine conditions.

They are not seeing the Hamas fighters, they are not seeing Hamas members taking the aid meant for the civilians, they are not seeing how Hamas really does not care about the civilians of Gaza and is instead hell bent on destroying Israel. I also hate to say but long gone is the memory of the initial attack for many people. Hamas controls everything that comes out of the country and of course they are going to make Israel look like the big bad wolf.

The thing is if Israel keeps displacing the civilians it is going to (and is) lose the support of its allies. I am not saying they will turn their backs on them, but they will stop supporting them, and may even create a rift. It is a thin line and a difficult one at that, where Israel needs to tread carefully - on one side it is the ability to fully defends itself, and on the other hand is the support of allied nations, who themselves need to tread just as carefully.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:54 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:52 pm I guess you’ll have to live it to see it.

I understand and respect your view. However you need to understand that others will have and are entitled to another view without being anti-Semitic. The issue become that the general public are no longer seeing this as a war against Hamas, they are seeing the Humanitarian crisis this war has created and it is one sided in that aspect. They are seeing the 100,000 already displaced persons being told to evacuate yet again, they are seeing Israeli tanks on the streets of Rafah, they are hearing the UN state that Northern Gaza is experiencing extreme famine conditions.

They are not seeing the Hamas fighters, they are not seeing Hamas members taking the aid meant for the civilians, they are not seeing how Hamas really does not care about the civilians of Gaza and is instead hell bent on destroying Israel. I also hate to say but long gone is the memory of the initial attack for many people. Hamas controls everything that comes out of the country and of course they are going to make Israel look like the big bad wolf.

The thing is if Israel keeps displacing the civilians it is going to (and is) lose the support of its allies. I am not saying they will turn their backs on them, but they will stop supporting them, and may even create a rift. It is a thin line and a difficult one at that, where Israel needs to tread carefully - on one side it is the ability to fully defends itself, and on the other hand is the support of allied nations, who themselves need to tread just as carefully.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/17/opin ... srael.html
306/232

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:24 pm
Della wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:38 pm

It brought back memories of Catholic school and local news reports.
What happened?
We had to evacuate or close the school and church buildings several times a year. Seeing my school on the news and hearing what it was about (cause they wouldn't tell us at school). It's an awful feeling.
That sounds awful. :-( Sorry you had to go through that. ❤️
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic