Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in a satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 am
That’s from the BBC.

As I said, there are more religions out there than what the history of America and Britain has told people about…

What makes a religious ritual satanic?

How is the worship of Santa Muerte satanic?

"For those who find themselves in hostile environments, both economically and socially, Santa Muerte is seen as a protector, offering her devotees a sense of security in Mexico, Central America, and the United States, all countries plagued by violence and poverty. Wielding her oversized scythe as a shield, she is a guardian of the weak, serving as a source of comfort and reassurance in the face of adversity. People involved in criminal activities such as drug cartels or gangs often face danger and violence, even the risk of murder; narcos, for instance, may beseech Santa Muerte for protection from harm and retribution. Her ritual paraphernalia is often found in the safehouses of these groups, symbolizing a supernatural guardian who watches over them. In Central America and Mexico, where the legal system fails to protect disenfranchised individuals involved in such activities, Santa Muerte offers a sense of security.

Santa Muerte can serve as a symbol of hope and salvation, especially for those who have led a life of crime or addiction, who often see the skeleton saint as a path to spiritual transformation and an opportunity to escape their troubled pasts. She offers a means to seek forgiveness, make amends, and find a new purpose in life. For those serving prison sentences, Santa Muerte represents the possibility of redemption and transformation. In Mexican and U.S. prisons, inmates commonly erect small altars to her in their cells. In fact, Santa Muerte is so popular among both inmates and prison guards in Mexico that she can be considered the patron saint of the entire Mexican penal system. Both inmates and guards ask the death saint to protect them from the constant dangers of prison life, while the former also pray to her for a speedy release."
https://uscatholic.org/articles/202310/ ... -guardian/

Christians have become conditioned to use "satanic" to describe anything that is deemed evil. This killing of the teenager was an evil act but was it satanic?

There are plenty of religions worldwide but only the Abrahamic faiths have the concept of Satan.

MS-13 is horrible and scary. They are not only a violent street gang but a transnational criminal organization. They are evil bad guys. I just don't think we need to label them as satanic to make them what? Scarier?
They are self described Satanists…The person who wrote the article said *probably because of Santa Muerte…*

When the people performing the ritual say it is satanic…

What makes for a satanic religion?
When the people within the religion say they are worshipping satan.

I don’t give a shit about what MS-13 does… though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid enough to be counted as a religion…
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am SHE is a religious icon to many in Mexico.....

"Santa Muerte: The rise of Mexico’s death 'saint' - BBC News" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-am ... 804243.amp
Yes, but that is a link from BBC saying that they are not worshipping satan…

I included a link from a specific area of Mexico that states- from the people involved in the religion- that they are worshipping satan.

One existing does not negate the ability for the other to exist…
When it comes to religion, people reinterpret the origins to fit their personal agendas and beliefs.

Just about every religion experiences this.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am SHE is a religious icon to many in Mexico.....

"Santa Muerte: The rise of Mexico’s death 'saint' - BBC News" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-am ... 804243.amp
Yes, but that is a link from BBC saying that they are not worshipping satan…

I included a link from a specific area of Mexico that states- from the people involved in the religion- that they are worshipping satan.

One existing does not negate the ability for the other to exist…
When it comes to religion, people reinterpret the origins to fit their personal agendas and beliefs.

Just about every religion experiences this.
Of course… that’s why even within christianity there are over 30,000 different sects…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 pm We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
a self-proclaimed sorcerer celebrating a black mass – a Satan-worshipping ceremony. No one could see clearly, but everyone heard the goat screeching as the sorcerer slit its throat. An uneasy silence followed the sacrifice. Satan worshippers waited impatiently to be anointed with goat blood, while social media influencers wondered how to explain what they had seen to their followers. And this was only the first act.

the goat’s bleating says it all. “Speak!” he demands as he cuts off its head. “Speak!” Someone shouts, “Hail Lucifer!” The animal falls silent. One of the sorcerers has collected a bowl of goat blood. “Strength, power, healing,” everyone says in unison. Marthen ascends a small, pyramidical altar with an upside-down cross. He puts the goat blood bowl on the floor and pulls out a hospital blood bag.

“Tonight, for the first time, we will shed human blood,” said Marthen.

A naked Satan figure presides over the private ceremony in a cave illuminated by red lights. About 40 people with press credentials wait outside. Two journalists from EL PAÍS are invited inside, where three young girls swathed in thin, black cloth sit around a table, undulating slowly. It’s suffocatingly hot in the packed room. Without much fanfare, Marthen tells the crowd to petition Satan for a need in the coming year. When everyone has finished, Marthen opens a bottle of wine and tells the girls to reveal themselves. They remove the black garments to display nearly nude bodies

Mexico’s unfinished First Church of Satan. The goat head sits on a table with pirul branches for cleansing and a satanic prayer book. Prayers are read before Enrique Marthen approaches the six-pointed star and silently sets it ablaze. “Long live Lucifer,” shouts the crowd in the red light of the bonfire.

Now- taking away everything you think might be “scary” and just looking at this at face value—-

If THEY SAY they are satanists, performing satanic rituals, and praying to satan…. How is it even possible that so many of the momconfession experts on world religions can counter that with “ No you’re not”
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Another page for the "Yeah, people are weird" file but other than that, what?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 am

That’s from the BBC.

As I said, there are more religions out there than what the history of America and Britain has told people about…

"For those who find themselves in hostile environments, both economically and socially, Santa Muerte is seen as a protector, offering her devotees a sense of security in Mexico, Central America, and the United States, all countries plagued by violence and poverty. Wielding her oversized scythe as a shield, she is a guardian of the weak, serving as a source of comfort and reassurance in the face of adversity. People involved in criminal activities such as drug cartels or gangs often face danger and violence, even the risk of murder; narcos, for instance, may beseech Santa Muerte for protection from harm and retribution. Her ritual paraphernalia is often found in the safehouses of these groups, symbolizing a supernatural guardian who watches over them. In Central America and Mexico, where the legal system fails to protect disenfranchised individuals involved in such activities, Santa Muerte offers a sense of security.

Santa Muerte can serve as a symbol of hope and salvation, especially for those who have led a life of crime or addiction, who often see the skeleton saint as a path to spiritual transformation and an opportunity to escape their troubled pasts. She offers a means to seek forgiveness, make amends, and find a new purpose in life. For those serving prison sentences, Santa Muerte represents the possibility of redemption and transformation. In Mexican and U.S. prisons, inmates commonly erect small altars to her in their cells. In fact, Santa Muerte is so popular among both inmates and prison guards in Mexico that she can be considered the patron saint of the entire Mexican penal system. Both inmates and guards ask the death saint to protect them from the constant dangers of prison life, while the former also pray to her for a speedy release."

Christians have become conditioned to use "satanic" to describe anything that is deemed evil. This killing of the teenager was an evil act but was it satanic?

There are plenty of religions worldwide but only the Abrahamic faiths have the concept of Satan.

MS-13 is horrible and scary. They are not only a violent street gang but a transnational criminal organization. They are evil bad guys. I just don't think we need to label them as satanic to make them what? Scarier?
They are self described Satanists…The person who wrote the article said *probably because of Santa Muerte…*

I don’t give a shit about what MS-13 does… though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid…
"though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid"

I'm a home grown atheist but I think someone's personal beliefs are valid regardless of who you worship or your rituals (just don't go killing people). All religions are valid, even the Satanic Temple of Catemaco. I don't think Satanic rituals are evil (just don't go killing people) as I went to a lovely Satanic wedding last year. However, I am not naive enough to assume that everyone or even most people share my views and know that images of Satan, or mention of satanic rituals give a whole lot of people the hee bee gee bees and has been used since the the 13th century to vilify peoples. I also happen to think that MS-13 is evil and should be vilified but because of their actions, not because who they purportedly worship.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:41 pm

I don’t give a shit about what MS-13 does… though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid…
"though it is weird that so many of you can decide that since you read a European link, you now have the ability to decide that *other people’s* religions are not valid"

I'm a home grown atheist but I think someone's personal beliefs are valid regardless of who you worship or your rituals (just don't go killing people). All religions are valid, even the Satanic Temple of Catemaco. I don't think Satanic rituals are evil (just don't go killing people) as I went to a lovely Satanic wedding last year. However, I am not naive enough to assume that everyone or even most people share my views and know that images of Satan, or mention of satanic rituals give a whole lot of people the hee bee gee bees and has been used since the the 13th century to vilify peoples. I also happen to think that MS-13 is evil and should be vilified but because of their actions, not because who they purportedly worship.
Ask your opinion on what?

I posted about two people being sentenced and the first reply was “that’s not satanic” and we went from there…

So what should I ask your opinion on?
Whether or not you believe that there are some people that worship satan, or whether or not these two people got a harsh enough sentence for killing someone?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:41 pm

I posted about two people being sentenced and the first reply was “that’s not satanic” and we went from there…

So what should I ask your opinion on?
Whether or not you believe that there are some people that worship satan, or whether or not these two people got a harsh enough sentence for killing someone?
I think I and others pointed out that worshipping Santa Muerta is not satanic so why the need to paint it as such?

I don't care who these guys worship whether God or Donkey Kong, they should have the book thrown at them and rot in jail.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 pm

Correction, the first response was "That's based on Catholic beliefs and not actually Satanism".

Not "That's not satanic". Maybe pocket your own biases before commenting on the religions of others.

It was a gang related murder, not Satanism.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic