Crowd sourcing ideas about hives/rash

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So last week my YDS7 woke up with mainly his torso covered in red/pinkish welts/bumps/splotches. I’ll attach a few photos for reference. Took him to the doctor, and she believed it was because of a virus he had the week before. He was tested for strep multiple times to rule that out. It’s not strep. She mentioned it could been mono at the time, but didn’t test for it. Ultimately he only had a fever and was actively sick for like 2 1/2 days or so. The rash/hives showed up a little less than a week later, so it could be related or not. I’m not entirely sure. The rash would fade but not completely disappear around bedtime everyday, and then in the morning it would be bright red and itchy again all over again with slight improvement for a week. Yesterday I sent him to school, because it looked like it was almost gone. Well, this morning he woke up with welts on his face, neck, and butt mostly and his left eye is swollen. He’s had a dose of Benadryl, and will be seeing the doctor, but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with something like this?

*The ones of his torso were taken last week, and the other one was taken this morning.

Sort of an update: We just got back from the doctor and hospital. His pediatrician prescribed allergy medicine and a steroid for the next 2 weeks. We also went to the hospital for blood work and chest x-rays. His tonsils and lymph nodes in his neck are still swollen from when he was sick two weeks ago, and she believes the lymph nodes have gotten bigger since last week. So hopefully we’ll have answers in the next few days.
Attachments
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5781.jpeg
IMG_5782.jpeg
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Wash his sheets with a hypoallergenic detergent,

Have him take a bath with camomile tea bags in the water
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Cute little fella. No advice, but I hope he feels better soon.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My grandchildren (2 & 4) became ill a couple of weeks ago and developed a rash, but it wasn't as prominent I don't think. The ER could find nothing to explain it. It went away but they keep having respiratory issues; coughing and phlegm.

Let us know what you find out 🤗
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

New detergent or body wash? New food(s) he's been trying? New vitamins or eating too many of the gummy form because they taste good (our son did this when he was 11🙄)? New sunscreen?

Just writing down the list of things we encountered when our kid's were younger. None of them may apply to your son, however.

I hope he gets better!!
just an old coot 😉🌵
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 pm New detergent or body wash? New food(s) he's been trying? New vitamins or eating too many of the gummy form because they taste good (our son did this when he was 11🙄)? New sunscreen?

Just writing down the list of things we encountered when our kid's were younger. None of them may apply to your son, however.

I hope he gets better!!
No, nothing new or anything like that. I’ve been racking my brain trying to think of anything that would cause it. Pediatrician is convinced it was connected to the virus he had the week before this started. Idk…they’re testing for the Epstein Barr Virus along with your standard labs I think.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 pm New detergent or body wash? New food(s) he's been trying? New vitamins or eating too many of the gummy form because they taste good (our son did this when he was 11🙄)? New sunscreen?

I hope he gets better!!
No, nothing new or anything like that. I’ve been racking my brain trying to think of anything that would cause it. Pediatrician is convinced it was connected to the virus he had the week before this started. Idk…they’re testing for the Epstein Barr Virus along with your standard labs I think.
I'm not too familiar with Epstein Barr virus but I have heard of it.

My fingers are crossed for you guy's that you find out what's causing this and can get treatment for it if necessary. 💞
just an old coot 😉🌵
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My son had that kind of reaction with a couple of meds. You've probably ruled that out but just wanted to put it out there.

It's terrible when our kids are in discomfort. Hope you get some answers soon!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So cute. I hope he is better. ❤️❤️❤️
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our son had a similar situation a little over a month ago. It started on his cheek. Nothing of note in diet. Pedi thought it could've been poison ivy but it was too early in the season despite the e ups and downs in temps. There was some poison ivy near the playground at his school but it is on the other side of the fence.
We used topical steroids but it did nithing and it quickly spread. In the morning it was better but by evening it was red and angry looming especially after showering. It spread to his eyelids, neck torso ... it was awful.

Pedi said it was systemic so notopical steroids would do it. She told us not to use Benadryl ( as the antihistamine). She put him on a 5 day prednisone twice a day and zyrtec 10 mg daily. It literally started to calm down a couple of hours after the first dose. By day 3 it was almost gone but for the pinkish patches where he scratched. By day 4 all gone. We still finished the 5 day treatment.
She just noted it as contact dermatitis.
I hope the treatment given works for your son. Skin issues are just awful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic