UPenn board of trustees holds emergency meeting amid calls for president to resign over antisemitism hearing

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The University of Pennsylvania Board of Trustees held an emergency meeting on Thursday after the school's president faced backlash over her comments on antisemitism during a congressional hearing.

According to the school's newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian, the meeting began at 9 a.m. and ended sometime in the afternoon. University of Pennsylvania President Liz Magill was still in her position by the end of the meeting, according to the report.

A planned Board of Trustees Budget & Finance Committee Executive Committee meeting scheduled for Thursday was canceled, online records show.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/upenn- ... sm-hearing
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I could swear that I saw a video of Magill apologizing for her testimony.

I cringed watching this and from president's of Ivy League universities, too.

I'm repulsed in general by the antisemitism we're seeing across this country and I'm on neither side of this current war.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:15 pm I could swear that I saw a video of Magill apologizing for her testimony.

I cringed watching this and from president's of Ivy League universities, too.

I'm repulsed in general by the antisemitism we're seeing across this country and I'm on neither side of this current war.
She did try to back track.

She should resign.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The first amendment comes before anything.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It was both painful and satisfying to watch, I confess. Painful, because this apparently the reality of Jews in America: antisemitism is fair game, it requires “context” before condemning it. It’s valid, as long as you can disguise it under the mask of “social justice”. And It was satisfying because I knew that it will come back to bite those lousy bitches in the ass. And it did. Harvard “president” also tried to backtrack, but too little, too late, for both of them. The statements they made in their sorry excuses for “apologies” should’ve been the things to say at that hearing. It was pathetic and comical watching them, Ivy League “presidents” and they all sounded like telemarketers sticking to the script to try to sell you something. They hired the same 2 cent lawyer to coach them in the same 3 arguments they should stick to. And it backfired, even the White House called this a disgrace. So now they’re attempting to smooth things over with hypocritical “apologies” and too late backtracking? We’re not that stupid anymore.
Kick all those bitches out.
And my favorite bit

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/07/upenn ... n-donation

“ Penn loses $100 million donation over antisemitism hearing”

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Della wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm The first amendment comes before anything.
Would a student group's freedom of speech be upheld if they called for a return to segregation or if a student group demanded Muslims be wiped out?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Really? So if a bunch of white students started calling for the genocide of blacks, or a Christian group called for killing gays, that will only be “freedom of speech” to you, I’m sure… I mean, it will also require “context” to see if it’s valid or not?
Della wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm The first amendment comes before anything.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:45 pm Really? So if a bunch of white students started calling for the genocide of blacks, or a Christian group called for killing gays, that will only be “freedom of speech” to you, I’m sure… I mean, it will also require “context” to see if it’s valid or not?
Misgendering is hate speech, immediately punishable by shaming and cancelling. But calling for genocide means wait around and wait for conduct. Got it.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly. It was like they say yelling “gas the Jews” is fine… “freedom of speech”! But when someone actually gasses a Jew, maybe they’ll look into it to see if it’s actually bullying and harassment. Chances are even then they’ll have to look at the “context”.
TBH, this is one time when I’m grateful to live in Mexico. Sure, there have been a couple of protests, nothing major. But we’re pretty much left alone. DH and my son walk on Shabbat all the way to the shul and back, they haven’t been called out at all. My David is now at the University, no one has said anything vile to him, even with wearing a yarmulke and when he bought an IDF T-shirt and wears it proudly to school.
I’m so happy Congress already declared that Antizionism is antisemitism- truth- but now if they could take a clue out of Austria and say that the phrase “from the river to the sea palestine will be free” is a call for genocide and a death threat, that will be awesome. Rashida Taliban and the rest of the Squad morons would have a stroke!
Lexy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:45 pm Really? So if a bunch of white students started calling for the genocide of blacks, or a Christian group called for killing gays, that will only be “freedom of speech” to you, I’m sure… I mean, it will also require “context” to see if it’s valid or not?
Misgendering is hate speech, immediately punishable by shaming and cancelling. But calling for genocide means wait around and wait for conduct. Got it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:56 pm Exactly. It was like they say yelling “gas the Jews” is fine… “freedom of speech”! But when someone actually gasses a Jew, maybe they’ll look into it to see if it’s actually bullying and harassment. Chances are even then they’ll have to look at the “context”.
TBH, this is one time when I’m grateful to live in Mexico. Sure, there have been a couple of protests, nothing major. But we’re pretty much left alone. DH and my son walk on Shabbat all the way to the shul and back, they haven’t been called out at all. My David is now at the University, no one has said anything vile to him, even with wearing a yarmulke and when he bought an IDF T-shirt and wears it proudly to school.
I’m so happy Congress already declared that Antizionism is antisemitism- truth- but now if they could take a clue out of Austria and say that the phrase “from the river to the sea palestine will be free” is a call for genocide and a death threat, that will be awesome. Rashida Taliban and the rest of the Squad morons would have a stroke!
Lexy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 pm

I am glad to hear your son is not affected by this.
Locked Previous topicNext topic