another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:34 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:26 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 pm

This is like a SNL skit at this point…

Do you know what the satirical implication behind the article was?
That basically if a population is of a majority religion, they don't feel the need to apologize, defend, or be fearful of reprisal of acts perpetrated in the name of that religion. For example, Christians in our country feel justified in "requiring" Muslims to atone for the sins of ISIS and yet we don't require Christians to atone for the sins of "a devout Christian President of Russia [] bombing Ukraine". Adherents of a particular religion don't normally see faults or actions within that religion as being indicative of their religion: "speaking about the lunch he purchased on land stolen by his religious forefathers from the local Mi’kmaq people and paid for with his wages earned from the church responsible for rampant sexual abuse of minors since before Confederation" and in fact don't think about it. But people are quick to think about events that occur in the name of those minority religions to be indicative of that group as a whole.

Considering the timing of the article, I imagine it is particularly inspired by the need for Palestinians to apologize and die for the acts of Hamas but I'm just guessing.
Ok. So just taking that first sentence there-

That basically if a population is of a majority religion, they don't feel the need to …be fearful of reprisal of acts perpetrated in the name of that religion.

I was saying actually, they do.
Satire is meant to be an exaggeration using irony and humor. If you try to "disprove" a satiric work by listing exceptions, I think you're missing the point of satire.

It seems as if you are a very black and white thinker and there's nothing wrong with that (my son is the same) but it does mean that many people are going to mis-interpret what you are saying and you are going to mis-interpret what they are saying as most people think, speak and write with nuance.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:46 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:26 pm

That basically if a population is of a majority religion, they don't feel the need to apologize, defend, or be fearful of reprisal of acts perpetrated in the name of that religion. For example, Christians in our country feel justified in "requiring" Muslims to atone for the sins of ISIS and yet we don't require Christians to atone for the sins of "a devout Christian President of Russia [] bombing Ukraine". Adherents of a particular religion don't normally see faults or actions within that religion as being indicative of their religion: "speaking about the lunch he purchased on land stolen by his religious forefathers from the local Mi’kmaq people and paid for with his wages earned from the church responsible for rampant sexual abuse of minors since before Confederation" and in fact don't think about it. But people are quick to think about events that occur in the name of those minority religions to be indicative of that group as a whole.

Considering the timing of the article, I imagine it is particularly inspired by the need for Palestinians to apologize and die for the acts of Hamas but I'm just guessing.

That basically if a population is of a majority religion, they don't feel the need to …be fearful of reprisal of acts perpetrated in the name of that religion.

Satire is meant to be an exaggeration using irony and humor. If you try to "disprove" a satiric work by listing exceptions, I think you're missing the point of satire.

It seems as if you are a very black and white thinker and there's nothing wrong with that (my son is the same) but it does mean that many people are going to mis-interpret what you are saying and you are going to mis-interpret what they are saying as most people think, speak and write with nuance.
Ok…go ahead and laugh at an incorrect basis for a satirical joke.

I’m going to point out the reality that makes the joke less funny… I don’t really find it hilarious when atheists make fun of Christians… sorry.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:15 am

I’m going to point out the reality that makes the joke less funny… I don’t really find it hilarious when atheists make fun of Christians… sorry.
I feel that a white Christian in the US has more days of "not feeling unsafe" than a Jew, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, or any other US minority religion and I think you can change countries and religions but the message would be the same. You are free to argue that that is not the case. The article is not making fun of Christians per se, but Christians are the majority in Canada and it's pointing out privilege of majority populations. I don't know what, if any, religion the author is but The Beaverton is a Canadian news satire publication so it kinda pokes fun at everyone just like our "The Onion".
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:41 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:15 am

I feel that a white Christian in the US has more days of "not feeling unsafe" than a Jew, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, or any other US minority religion and I think you can change countries and religions but the message would be the same. You are free to argue that that is not the case. The article is not making fun of Christians per se, but Christians are the majority in Canada and it's pointing out privilege of majority populations. I don't know what, if any, religion the author is but The Beaverton is a Canadian news satire publication so it kinda pokes fun at everyone just like our "The Onion".
Ok.
I also think Christians Feel more safe… other than the ones that were murdered at church or in their religious school, or they belong to one of the hundreds of churches that have had pipe bombs found, or threats made… other than them I’m sure most Christians feel very safe.

Is it ok with you though if think differently than you though when it comes to what’s funny?
Locked Previous topicNext topic