another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A satire with a point relevant to current news and politics:
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/11/ch ... id-crimes/
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Weirdly enough, in America we’re having attacks on churches all the time… everything from vandalism to mass murder.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

The FRC has been tracking attacks on churches within the US since January 2018 and their records continue until September 2022. In that time-frame, the organization has noted an overwhelming amount of attacks on churches, in the form of vandalism, arson, bomb threats, and more. It should be noted that the 420 recorded attacks were only on churches, but the figure rises to nearly 500 when taking pro-life pregnancy centers into consideration.

National Terrorism Advisement System has warned that the Christmas season, as well as the upcoming anniversary of January 6, could present threat actors with more opportunities for violence. The DHS has warned that potential targets include faith-based institutions, LGBT communities, and minority groups

https://aleteia.org/2022/12/22/420-chur ... s-unaware/

69 churches attacked in the first 3 months of 2023: report

The document listed the mass shooting that occurred at The Covenant School, a Christian school in Nashville, Tennessee, two weeks ago as a “gun-related incident,” along with the firing of 50 rounds at a Mennonite church building in Versailles, Missouri, and a late-night shooting at Praise Temple Baptist Church in Shreveport, Louisiana, that sent four to the hospital.

Bomb threats documented in the report included the discovery of a pipe bomb outside St. Dominic Catholic Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a threat directed at Gracelife Chapel near Peverly, Ohio, and a false bomb threat at a church in Nashville. One of the incidents classified as “other” was a stabbing at Crossfire Church in Springfield, Oregon.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/sixt ... eport.html
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Then if you start looking in other countries…

52,250 Nigerian Christians murdered since 2009

According to its findings, over the past 14 years at least 52,250 Nigerian Christians have been brutally murdered at the hands of Islamist militants, more than 30,000 of whom during the eight-year presidency of former Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, often criticized during his tenure for not doing enough to combat growing insecurity in the country.

18,000 churches set on fire
In the same period 18,000 Christian churches and 2,200 Christian schools were set ablaze. Approximately 34,000 moderate Muslims also died in Islamist attacks.
The outlook for 2023 does not seem any better, with over 1,000 Christians killed since the beginning of the year.

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/church/ne ... mists.html
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lol
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:39 am Then if you start looking in other countries…

I agree with you - there are quite a few countries where being a Christian isn't as safe as belonging to the majority religion in that country.

But possibly, since the satire was about pointing out how some forms of privilege are so well establish they are just though of as 'normality' - to the point where writing a news-story about such people's experience would actually seem weird, they were not talking about places where Christianity isn't the dominant social force in that area?
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:19 pm
SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:39 am Then if you start looking in other countries…

I agree with you - there are quite a few countries where being a Christian isn't as safe as belonging to the majority religion in that country.

But possibly, since the satire was about pointing out how some forms of privilege are so well establish they are just though of as 'normality' - to the point where writing a news-story about such people's experience would actually seem weird, they were not talking about places where Christianity isn't the dominant social force in that area?
Nigeria is 50%Christian… so they kind of are a majority religion.

But if you want to leave African countries out of it…Hence the first response … the mass murders, bomb threats and violence is happening in America.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I used to think the world would be better off without Christianity. It has so much baggage! But, that could take awhile. Lately I think it would be faster if Christianity had a New Reformation. There's a good message there that everybody already knows. We'd just need to convince people that fighting for the poor and against climate change is What Jesus Would Do.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:55 pm I used to think the world would be better off without Christianity. It has so much baggage! But, that could take awhile. Lately I think it would be faster if Christianity had a New Reformation. There's a good message there that everybody already knows. We'd just need to convince people that fighting for the poor and against climate change is What Jesus Would Do.
I think this might read differently to different people.

To Christians, it reads as though you’re saying the world would be a better place without them in it.

But also, why do you think Jesus would fight against Climate Change? Wouldn’t it be God’s will making climate change happen?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:11 am
SallyMae wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:55 pm I used to think the world would be better off without Christianity. It has so much baggage! But, that could take awhile. Lately I think it would be faster if Christianity had a New Reformation. There's a good message there that everybody already knows. We'd just need to convince people that fighting for the poor and against climate change is What Jesus Would Do.
I think this might read differently to different people.

To Christians, it reads as though you’re saying the world would be a better place without them in it.

But also, why do you think Jesus would fight against Climate Change? Wouldn’t it be God’s will making climate change happen?
Most Christians believe man was tasked by God to be good stewards of his creation (Earth). Climate change precipitated by man is the antithesis of being a good steward.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic