another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:53 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:39 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:04 pm

Why would you think I am trying to deny that Catholics aren’t part of the Majority Christian Voting community?

They’re watching FOX too. They listen to Beck too. They’re just as much a part of the culture as Baptists, Lutherans, Latvian Orthodox… all of them.

It’s the way the majority vote, when taking into account all of them.
Oh for goodness sake. Let me try to break it down.

White Evangelicals make up 14% of the US population and 61% of them view Fox
White Mainline Protestants make up 16% of the US population and 40% of them view Fox
White Catholics make up 12% of the US population and 50% of them view Fox
Mormons make up 1% of the US population and 53% view Fox
Orthodox make up 0.5% of the US population and 56% view Fox
Black Protestants make up 7% of the US population and 26% view Fox
Hispancic Protestants make up 4% of the US population and 42% view Fox
Hispanic Catholics make up 8% of the US population and 42% view Fox

White Evangelicals are a minority of the Christian population and a minority of Christians view Fox.
I have no clue why you keep pointing out what white evangelicals do…

There are White People, Black People, Asian people, Polynesian People, allllllllllllllllllllllllll races that take part in this culture.
https://new.nsf.gov/science-matters/pac ... st-climate

This isn’t true either.

Polynesians are HUGE on battling climate change and so are the Asians who share the islands with them.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:58 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:47 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:42 pm

“Climate change is not spurred on by man” is not a white only perspective.

Candace Owens has been very loud about having that opinion… she is a major part of the Majority Christian Voters who is on the right channels, the right radio shows and the right social media pages to be a big voice… her skin color doesn’t matter, she’s representing the voting culture.

It is only that voting population and it’s culture that I am talking about, and it’s pointless to divide by skin color.

When you say “The general comment that Christians don’t believe climate change is man made is not true and doesn’t apply to everybody.” you’re absolutely right… and it’s not meant to apply to everyone… it’s meant to apply to a voting demographic.
I’m not talking about extremists who help their respective political party pander or one offs. Most Black voters treat climate change as a political issue that does not conflict with religion like LGBT rights or abortion.

Unless you have attended more all Black churches than I have….I am not asking you, I’m telling you….that the other ladies are correct. You are lumping everyone in the same category as white evangelicals because this is not common in Black churches.
There’s nothing about what goes on in Black churches that is relevant here.

“Most Black Voters” is an entirely separate demographic than the one being discussed… Most Black voters would not be in this demographic, period.

The one being discussed today has Black Media Heads that are extremely popular. It has White Media Heads that are extremely popular. It has Asian Media Heads that are popular. It has its own television, radio and social media populate and it isn’t based on race, it’s based on right-wing narratives shaping biblically aimed political sway. “ Their respective political parties” are literally the conversation, not their skin color.

This is a discussion about a different culture entirely…
You’re not Black, so you have no say in what is irrelevant in our churches.

I was confused at first but now I see why you are getting the feedback you are getting now. You are reaching to manipulate and spin the conversation to fit a white evangelical narrative instead of listening to what people are trying to tell you.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:02 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:39 pm

Oh for goodness sake. Let me try to break it down.

White Evangelicals make up 14% of the US population and 61% of them view Fox
White Mainline Protestants make up 16% of the US population and 40% of them view Fox
White Catholics make up 12% of the US population and 50% of them view Fox
Mormons make up 1% of the US population and 53% view Fox
Orthodox make up 0.5% of the US population and 56% view Fox
Black Protestants make up 7% of the US population and 26% view Fox
Hispancic Protestants make up 4% of the US population and 42% view Fox
Hispanic Catholics make up 8% of the US population and 42% view Fox

White Evangelicals are a minority of the Christian population and a minority of Christians view Fox.

There are White People, Black People, Asian people, Polynesian People, allllllllllllllllllllllllll races that take part in this culture.

This isn’t true either.

Polynesians are HUGE on battling climate change and so are the Asians who share the islands with them.
Oh Jesus Christ… you guys are seriously not understanding this.

What I just said has nothing to do with Polynesians or Asians as a whole.

Not at all.

Nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

What I said has to do with the SMALL, TINY, MINUSCULE Population of them that are living WITHIN THE POLITICAL CHRISTIAN CULTURE of Fox News, Glenn Beck and Candace Owens…
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:07 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:47 pm

I’m not talking about extremists who help their respective political party pander or one offs. Most Black voters treat climate change as a political issue that does not conflict with religion like LGBT rights or abortion.

Unless you have attended more all Black churches than I have….I am not asking you, I’m telling you….that the other ladies are correct. You are lumping everyone in the same category as white evangelicals because this is not common in Black churches.

“Most Black Voters” is an entirely separate demographic than the one being discussed… Most Black voters would not be in this demographic, period.

The one being discussed today has Black Media Heads that are extremely popular. It has White Media Heads that are extremely popular. It has Asian Media Heads that are popular. It has its own television, radio and social media populate and it isn’t based on race, it’s based on right-wing narratives shaping biblically aimed political sway. “ Their respective political parties” are literally the conversation, not their skin color.

I was confused at first but now I see why you are getting the feedback you are getting now. You are reaching to manipulate and spin the conversation to fit a white evangelical narrative instead of listening to what people are trying to tell you.
Again…. I am not commenting AT ALL about what is relevant in Black Churches…

You are not understanding the premise… you keep telling me irrelevant information to the topic at hand…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:14 pm

This isn’t true either.

Not at all.

Nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

What I said has to do with the SMALL, TINY, MINUSCULE Population of them that are living WITHIN THE POLITICAL CHRISTIAN CULTURE of Fox News, Glenn Beck and Candace Owens…
No, your arguments don’t make sense and it’s like you keep digging a deeper whole.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:49 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:50 am

Lol no…

People keep quoting me and the thread tree trying to argue the point I was making… so when that happens, I continue to explain my point.
Oh no. 😂😂😂😂.

I’m not a white evangelical, so I tend to do more listening and learning on these religion threads unless it’s something I have experienced. I have no idea what a large number of them believe.

I removed the tree because I wasn’t chiming in on the conversation but I relate to what Jules is saying. As she explained, I was pointing out that is how I was raised and how my faith works.

That’s great explainer video. A large number only agree on a few generalities (born again, high view of the Bible, etc).
Thank you for posting! I love Phil Vischer and his ability to explain complex themes so simply - especially when it comes to Christianity in America. Since I lived through it, I knew there was a huge difference between Billy Graham and Jerry Fallwell but didn't understand the why or how. I've also been guilty of lumping white evangelicals together and wondered, but didn't know, why there was a difference between what are stereo-typical white evangelicals and Black evangelicals if the theology was the same. Also been guilty of lumping together evangelicals with fundamentalists. This video makes things so much clearer to me.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:16 pm

You are not understanding the premise… you keep telling me irrelevant information to the topic at hand…
It doesn’t matter. It is not enough Black churches for you to include Christians as a group.

No, I’m telling you that the other ladies are correct. That is relevant to the topic and I understand the topic just fine.

As a group, you are only speaking for white evangelicals and Republicans.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:20 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:34 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:15 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about white evangelicals you've spoken with because in general, white evangelicals are pretty evenly divided over whether the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity or mostly due to natural patterns (https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... te-change/). But regardless, is this belief theological or political? If it were theological, one would assume that Black Evangelicals would be similarly divided as they share the same theology but they aren't with the majority of Black Evangelicals believing (or unsure) that the earth is getting warmer mostly due to human activity. If it's political rather than theological (or scientific), do you think that minds could be changed?
Don’t speak for all but this is true from my experience. I don’t know a lot of Black people who don’t believe climate change isn’t a man made problem.
I don't either. I also don't know any farmers who don't believe in anthropogenic climate change.

IMO, it's easy to dismiss climate change as being naturally occurring if your community is not currently at risk from its affects.
Polynesian islands have definitely been affected by it. It is WIDELY considered a man made problem that was created by the main people who keep denying it.

What is the political benefit of blaming God for it? I don’t get that.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:20 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:14 pm

This isn’t true either.

Not at all.

Nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

No, your arguments don’t make sense and it’s like you keep digging a deeper whole.
I don’t even know how to put this into an easier to understand way…

Ok.

If I say “ Most New Yorkers are American”
That can be a true statement…

But that doesn’t mean I am trying to say “ All Americans are New Yorkers”
Because that would be an untrue statement…

I am Not. At. All. Saying the majority of Black people would fit into this religious/political culture that people like Candace Owens promote… I am saying there are Black people within the group that Candace Owens speaks to.
Which is the same for Polynesians, Asians, Hispanics ect…

This whole thing started with me saying I didn’t think it was helpful to try and separate people by skin color when it was a specific political culture because it isnt logically correct… but you two disagreed, and have now been confused about what I’m talking about for an hour now …
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:30 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:16 pm

It doesn’t matter. It is not enough Black churches for you to include Christians as a group.

No, I’m telling you that the other ladies are correct. That is relevant to the topic and I understand the topic just fine.

As a group, you are only speaking for white evangelicals and Republicans.
The group I am speaking about is quite literally all Republican… yes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic