260 test positive at Georgia children's camp

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It’s probably best to assume any font is my sarcasm font 😉
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 pm
moviestar wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm impossible

conservatives have assured me children are not at risk
Ya forgot your sarcasm font, lol.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Something the CDC report fails to mention is just how many of those kids were sick enough to require hospitalization? And the CDC report starts out with:

Limited data are available about transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), among youths.

The findings in this report are subject to at least three limitations. First, attack rates presented are likely an underestimate because cases might have been missed among persons not tested or whose test results were not reported. Second, given the increasing incidence of COVID-19 in Georgia in June and July, some cases might have resulted from transmission occurring before or after camp attendance.†† Finally, it was not possible to assess individual adherence to COVID-19 prevention measures at camp A, including physical distancing between, and within, cabin cohorts and use of cloth masks, which were not required for campers.

It's obvious this is an outlier. You put 15 kids in a cabin, they sing, shout, do everything together 24/7 and you're going to get sick kids. Not only did the camp not require them to wear masks, they neglected to have windows open and lots of ventilation. This place was a major petrie dish just like those cruise ships.

Big difference between overnight camps that obviously didn't take all of the precautions suggested and kids going back to school wearing masks, social distancing as much as possible, with schools following as many of the reopening guidelines as they can.

Considering this camp was June 21 and the CDC is just now reporting this leads one to think they aren't all that worried about transmission between children under 17.

Personally, I would never send a child to an overnight camp this summer. But I would send them to school. Unfortunately, teachers' unions are winning this battle. So, we'll just dumb this generation down even more.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Studies are being cranked out left and right where I live ( Boston) as they are in Italy China Sweden , etc. There is a lot of information tid bits that needs to be made sense of at a grander scale, I suppose. There is a study out now that found children who are midly symptomatic ( no hospitalization) are just as contagious as older children and adults. So when a child has cold-luke symptoms ( sniffles for example ) but otherwise no temp, and are positive, they are very contagious to those around them like any other adult who’s positive.

I agree with you re overnight camps. I would not send my child either. But re schools, why do you think a whole generation is being dummied down? It’s at most ( hopefully) one academic year. Serious question, not baiting you. There are plenty of children who miss school for long periods of time who do just fine upon return. Older kids take a year off before going to university, or bc they had an illness that prevented them from attending school, etc.
I’m just wondering what your thoughts are on thus matter. You’re not the only one who’s said this.
Mommamia wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 am Something the CDC report fails to mention is just how many of those kids were sick enough to require hospitalization? And the CDC report starts out with:

Limited data are available about transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), among youths.

The findings in this report are subject to at least three limitations. First, attack rates presented are likely an underestimate because cases might have been missed among persons not tested or whose test results were not reported. Second, given the increasing incidence of COVID-19 in Georgia in June and July, some cases might have resulted from transmission occurring before or after camp attendance.†† Finally, it was not possible to assess individual adherence to COVID-19 prevention measures at camp A, including physical distancing between, and within, cabin cohorts and use of cloth masks, which were not required for campers.

It's obvious this is an outlier. You put 15 kids in a cabin, they sing, shout, do everything together 24/7 and you're going to get sick kids. Not only did the camp not require them to wear masks, they neglected to have windows open and lots of ventilation. This place was a major petrie dish just like those cruise ships.

Big difference between overnight camps that obviously didn't take all of the precautions suggested and kids going back to school wearing masks, social distancing as much as possible, with schools following as many of the reopening guidelines as they can.

Considering this camp was June 21 and the CDC is just now reporting this leads one to think they aren't all that worried about transmission between children under 17.

Personally, I would never send a child to an overnight camp this summer. But I would send them to school. Unfortunately, teachers' unions are winning this battle. So, we'll just dumb this generation down even more.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In this case the counselors had to wear masks, but not the campers. Everyone was required to be tested within 12 days before attending camp, and kids were kept in separate "pods."

This is more precautions than the schools will take. Georgia will provide masks, but is not requiring masks for students or teachers when returning to schools. They only require masks while on the buses. And all social distance measures are “where feasible.”
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:21 am In this case the counselors had to wear masks, but not the campers. Everyone was required to be tested within 12 days before attending camp, and kids were kept in separate "pods."

This is more precautions than the schools will take. Georgia will provide masks, but is not requiring masks for students or teachers when returning to schools. They only require masks while on the buses. And all social distance measures are “where feasible.”
My county is going virtual until the 17th..My Church's school goes back Monday for FTF. Now, here's the kicker to that. A month ago, our Church opened for limited activity- social distancing service, limited people allowed in, no youth or kids' meetings, no small groups.. Two weeks ago, a man contacted the head pastor and told him he had been at service the day before and tested positive for covid. The Church shut down completely and went back to online only. Now, they are opening up the Church completely tomorrow and the school on Monday.. I am just baffled. We have not been back since March and will continue to watch online as Georgia is a red zone and so is my freaking county. It's disheartening to see the idiocy in the state of GA and how horrible our leadership is.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 am Studies are being cranked out left and right where I live ( Boston) as they are in Italy China Sweden , etc. There is a lot of information tid bits that needs to be made sense of at a grander scale, I suppose. There is a study out now that found children who are midly symptomatic ( no hospitalization) are just as contagious as older children and adults. So when a child has cold-luke symptoms ( sniffles for example ) but otherwise no temp, and are positive, they are very contagious to those around them like any other adult who’s positive.

I agree with you re overnight camps. I would not send my child either. But re schools, why do you think a whole generation is being dummied down? It’s at most ( hopefully) one academic year. Serious question, not baiting you. There are plenty of children who miss school for long periods of time who do just fine upon return. Older kids take a year off before going to university, or bc they had an illness that prevented them from attending school, etc.
I’m just wondering what your thoughts are on thus matter. You’re not the only one who’s said this.
Mommamia wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 am Something the CDC report fails to mention is just how many of those kids were sick enough to require hospitalization? And the CDC report starts out with:

I agree- about all the science that still needs analysis and correlation. There is still so much that isn’t known also.

I worry about kids not being in the classroom, I think it will impact them but I wouldn’t use the dummies down phrasing - I don’t think it will be as bad as some have said.

I agree that people miss a year or two all the time or months due to illness and they do fine. The difference I see is that when someone is sick or takes time off they return to where they left off. This online learning BS we are seeing is the kids are still progressing, just not with as much knowledge as if they were being taught. Many of the schools in my area have children without internet at home or parents with low education or working multiple jobs so there is no educating happening. The kids get packets of activities to work on at their own pace and can call via phone a teacher with questions and leave a message as the teacher most likely is online with the other students who have internet or they are actually teaching their own kids.

This online learning is really a detriment and I’m a big supporter of home schooling - which this is not. Lower income and rural kids will be educationally left behind. They won’t get the benefit of a level playing field which in person schooling provides.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I get so sick of hearing about positive tests. Kids are less susceptible to this virus, that’s been proven. However, they can get it and can be contagious. Most likely they were all or mostly exposed by their families before going to camp and if they had been tested at home probably all show the same results. Unless none of these kids went to Walmart to purchase supplies to take with them 🙄
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 am Studies are being cranked out left and right where I live ( Boston) as they are in Italy China Sweden , etc. There is a lot of information tid bits that needs to be made sense of at a grander scale, I suppose. There is a study out now that found children who are midly symptomatic ( no hospitalization) are just as contagious as older children and adults. So when a child has cold-luke symptoms ( sniffles for example ) but otherwise no temp, and are positive, they are very contagious to those around them like any other adult who’s positive.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 100934.htm

Studies of children in many countries have been found to have a 2%-5% chance of getting COVID. They also have been found not to have spread it to other children and/or adults. Through contact tracing, the children have caught it from adults in their lives. One researcher thinks it has to do with the receptors in human cells that the corona virus latches on to are less developed in younger people.

The latest reports of 'studies' use the qualifiers of 'may' and 'possibility' which really leaves things up in the air.

Dumbing down of our children. Here is an excellent article from 2015 which still holds true to this day........

https://atlantadailyworld.com/2015/04/1 ... education/

George Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' was a disaster. All it accomplished was teachers teaching children how to take the test, and quite a bit of fraud.

Obama's 'Common Core' was an unmitigated disaster for our children. He bribed (tied funds to it) the states to institute it. The only people to benefit from that were the people who wrote and published the books.

As for kids who miss a lot of school because of a severe illness or maybe a bad accident, they can do well because they are getting assignments from the teachers, they often get tutors supplied by school districts, and other help to keep them abreast of what the kids in the classes are learning.

Here in IL a few years ago the state education board informed all public schools to develop an e-learning plan that could be used in the event that schools could be closed for a long period of time, such as a pandemic.. They were to submit these plans to the state for approval. Only about 20% of the schools in the entire state bothered to do this.

Schools were closed effective 3/31/20. The week before was spring break. Because most schools had no e-learning plans to use, teachers scrambled to find platforms. Then with e-learning, not every child has a computer, so what were they supposed to do?

Besides the dismal failure of my granchildren's schools and having talked to many parents from other school districts, it was pretty much the same thing.....teacher's came on told the kids to do this, this and that and said "I'll be here for two hours if you need any help." That was the extent of their 'school day'.

So many kids across the country stopped tuning into their e-learning classes all together, studies have shown.

This is just another example of the educational system failing the children big time.

In jr high and high school I don't see how kids can advance to their next level of math or science when they've missed 6 months to a year of their current levels.

I really don't think e-learning is going to be any better in these schools in the fall. In person learning is also so necessary for the mental health and well being of kids. Suicide rates for 10-14 year olds have skyrocketed to unprecedented numbers. And think of all of those special needs kids who are not getting any help at all.

Sorry I got off to a rant about school closings continuing, but I just feel so strongly that the kids should go back to school. It is the teacher's unions who are continuing to dumb down our children by refusing to go back to school and do their jobs.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So true. Also, a gym owner opened his gym in opposition to the governor, stating “there’s no science or data”. Darwinism at its best.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:10 pm And this week in Jefferson Georgia, schools are opening without any mask mandate. Two girls from the high school were so concerned that they started an on-line petition asking that masks be required. They got 600 signatures. Not to be outdone the science deniers started their own petition asking that they not be mandatory. 200 signed this petition with comments like . “Only liberals can get rona and I’m not a liberal,” Another wrote - “TRUMP2020 no mask fo me.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/us/c ... masks.html
Proof that we're not putting in nearly enough money for education.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's true re returning to where they left off. In this situation, we're talking about millions of children, so the notion of returning to where they left off is not feasible. It would mean they'd all essentially repeat the academic year.

From the very get go, the news reported on the lack of internet in many areas when remote learning was touted. I remember an article that stated that children in rural areas and in low income areas were going to be adversely affected because of this. Even in some densely populated urban areas, teachers reported that they lost contact with their students who were already at risk academically. They feared they just gave up, had no access, no support, got sick, ...who knows?

We are fortunate that our district has done a great job with remote learning. Is it as good or better than unperson? Absolutely not; and I am aware that in other areas, the quality of remote learning varies.

I'm going to go off on a tangent here. We pay a crap load on property taxes. A significant amount of the funding comes from our taxes ( our superintendent did a presentation on this as other things were proposed and were to come to a vote prior to CoVid). So if a school district decides to do all remote and the time and quality of the academics is diminished, I don't see why we should pay school employees their full salaries. I'm sure I'll get flack for this comment, but I think people should get paid accordingly.

As for children with special needs, one district here is giving or proposed giving children with special needs the option of going in person for 4 days ( I think). I think it is very important that the most vulnerable of our children continue to have access to the services they need. But I also think it has to be done in a way that minimizes risks. The logistics of this must be overwhelming and I do not envy the school district administrators' jobs in figuring this out.

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 pm

I agree- about all the science that still needs analysis and correlation. There is still so much that isn’t known also.

I worry about kids not being in the classroom, I think it will impact them but I wouldn’t use the dummies down phrasing - I don’t think it will be as bad as some have said.

I agree that people miss a year or two all the time or months due to illness and they do fine. The difference I see is that when someone is sick or takes time off they return to where they left off. This online learning BS we are seeing is the kids are still progressing, just not with as much knowledge as if they were being taught. Many of the schools in my area have children without internet at home or parents with low education or working multiple jobs so there is no educating happening. The kids get packets of activities to work on at their own pace and can call via phone a teacher with questions and leave a message as the teacher most likely is online with the other students who have internet or they are actually teaching their own kids.

This online learning is really a detriment and I’m a big supporter of home schooling - which this is not. Lower income and rural kids will be educationally left behind. They won’t get the benefit of a level playing field which in person schooling provides.
Locked Previous topicNext topic