Chasing the Virus: How India Did What the US Cannot Do

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Chasing the Virus:
How India's largest slum beat back a pandemic
When coronavirus claimed its first victim in India's largest slum in April, many feared the disease would turn its narrow, congested streets into a graveyard, with social distancing or contact tracing all but impossible.

But three months on, Mumbai's Dharavi offers a rare glimmer of hope with new infections shrinking, thanks to an aggressive strategy that focused on "chasing the virus, instead of waiting for disaster", according to city official Kiran Dighavkar.

. . .

"Social distancing was never a possibility, home isolation was never an option, and contact tracing was a huge problem with so many people using the same toilet," Dighavkar told AFP.

. . .

But, with infections rising fast and fewer than 50,000 people checked for symptoms, officials needed to move quickly and get creative.

Each day, medical workers set up a "fever camp" in a different part of the slum, so residents could be screened for symptoms and tested for coronavirus if needed.

Schools, wedding halls and sports complexes were repurposed as quarantine facilities that offered free meals, vitamins and "laughter yoga" sessions.

Strict containment measures were deployed in virus hotspots that were home to 125,000 people, including the use of drones to monitor their movements and alert police, while a huge army of volunteers swung into action, distributing rations so they didn't go hungry.

. . .

By late June, more than half the slum's population had been screened for symptoms and around 12,000 tested for coronavirus.

So far Dharavi has reported just 82 deaths—a fraction of Mumbai's more than 4,500 fatalities.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... demic.html
Testing, contact tracing and separating the sick from the general population because isolation in Dharavi isn't possible with a million people living in a 1 mile square area. A poor district did what the US still hasn't been able to accomplish. Thanks to the inept governing of Trump. We should be past it now. We should be able to open schools and be confident that there won't be more surges. But we still lack tests that can come back in one day. We still lack contact tracers. And people refuse to wear masks.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

China has an app that can trace for Covid. It has a badge. Green, yellow and red.
If your badge turns yellow, it means you had been in close proximity to someone who tested positive and you should get tested. Red means isolation. Restaurants and stores would check your phone and only those with green badges could enter.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:31 pm China has an app that can trace for Covid. It has a badge. Green, yellow and red.
If your badge turns yellow, it means you had been in close proximity to someone who tested positive and you should get tested. Red means isolation. Restaurants and stores would check your phone and only those with green badges could enter.
We can't even get everyone to wear masks. I doubt that app would fly here.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I was just looking at the death count in India over the last weekend and was wondering why it was so low. I would have thought it would have been massive with that amount of people crowded into such a tiny amount of space.

I came across this:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/th ... hloroquine
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm I was just looking at the death count in India over the last weekend and was wondering why it was so low. I would have thought it would have been massive with that amount of people crowded into such a tiny amount of space.

I came across this:

OMG.....Don't burst their ignorant bubble. Since I'm sure none of them will bother to read your article, I'll post some of it for their edification.

Reports credit the huge turnaround to various factors. Most focused on Dharavi's use of widespread testing and contact tracing. One is the use of an anti-malarial drug. But they ignored the policy most responsible. Indian doctors used hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for prophylaxis (preventive) treatment — the same drug the American media have politicized.

Dharavi's COVID-19 infection rate dropped drastically from April through June. In July, new infections were very low, almost reaching zero on July 9.

Officials have credited this turnaround to "[a] combination of hydroxychloroquine, vitamin D, and zinc tablets along with homeopathic medicines."

India has exported tons of HCQ to the U.S, Canada, and dozens of other countries in the past few months. Despite having stockpiles, these nations have resisted its use. The American media and bureaucracies should move beyond their obsession with politics and honestly consider HCQ's efficacy.
Cupcake_mama_jzd
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:31 pm China has an app that can trace for Covid. It has a badge. Green, yellow and red.
We have this APP in Ontario, Canada as well. So far it's optional.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm I was just looking at the death count in India over the last weekend and was wondering why it was so low. I would have thought it would have been massive with that amount of people crowded into such a tiny amount of space.

I came across this:

OMG.....Don't burst their ignorant bubble. Since I'm sure none of them will bother to read your article, I'll post some of it for their edification.

Reports credit the huge turnaround to various factors. Most focused on Dharavi's use of widespread testing and contact tracing. One is the use of an anti-malarial drug. But they ignored the policy most responsible. Indian doctors used hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for prophylaxis (preventive) treatment — the same drug the American media have politicized.

Dharavi's COVID-19 infection rate dropped drastically from April through June. In July, new infections were very low, almost reaching zero on July 9.

Officials have credited this turnaround to "[a] combination of hydroxychloroquine, vitamin D, and zinc tablets along with homeopathic medicines."

India has exported tons of HCQ to the U.S, Canada, and dozens of other countries in the past few months. Despite having stockpiles, these nations have resisted its use. The American media and bureaucracies should move beyond their obsession with politics and honestly consider HCQ's efficacy.
Was Mr. Cain on the medications recommended by the doctor from Texas?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:15 pm

I came across this:

Just another empty contribution to the discussion from you.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 am

Why so defensive?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am
Mommamia wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 am

Why so defensive?
Because you pointed out the inaccuracies of the claims. If in fact these doctors “on the front line” were telling the truth, Herman Cain would be alive. Trump would have made sure his friend got the drug that the doctor claimed saved 100% of her 350 patients.

And these doctors naming themselves Doctors on the Front Line is disgraceful and an insult to all the doctors and nurses and others who actually treat these very sick patients. None of them have been able to verify actually treating these patients in any hospital.
Locked Previous topicNext topic