Pennsylvania uses 'weighted lottery' to distribute lifesaving remdesivir in favor of low-income patients

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MommyTutu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not really sure what your point is. I'd agree that the rich have more access to most goods and services, since those things can generally be bought. That doesn't influence my opinion on this matter, not even a bit.
SallyMae wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:40 am
MommyTutu wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:09 am It's interesting. When there is a limited supply, there has to be some criteria for deciding who gets the goods. I'm not sure that favoring the low income patients is the way to go with something like medication, but it's certainly interesting. I do wonder how "weighted" this system is.
All of society's resources are heavily weighted for the rich. This is a switcheroo.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:50 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm Eh, this is too reductive. They aren't getting weighed more *just* because they are poor, but because they are poor they are more at risk due to various comorbidities, as well as more likely to be essential workers who will go back out to the community because they can't afford not to.
Epidemiological data reveal a disproportionate burden of COVID-19 in low income communities and certain racial/ ethnic minorities. For example, a recent study found that individuals who resided in a low-income area had increased odds of a hospital admission from COVID-19.ii Health inequities may arise from multiple causes, including higher burdens of comorbid disease, poor health care access, infeasibility of social distancing due to living in densely-populated neighborhoods and households, the higher proportion of economically disadvantaged individuals who work in jobs classified as "essential" during the pandemic, and the need to continue to work in public-facing occupations due to economic hardship.
https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/diseas ... ework.aspx
No, it's states playing God and deciding who they want to save and who they don't. This will hurt the middle class more than anyone. The poor will get the medicine and the rich can pay for it themselves. That leaves the middle class out in the cold. One more economic nail in the middle class coffin.

The poor don't have exclusivity on diabetes, obesity, heart problems, etc. Millions of people have comorbidities that make them highly likely to die if they get COVID. In fact young people can die from this virus because they have underlying health problems. So, the suburban mom can figuratively kiss her child goodbye because some dr decided that a poor person was more deserving of that lifesaving med, simply because he/she is poor.

How is a poor person's life worth more than the farmer in the next room or cubicle who is just as sick?

This is one of those very slippery slopes. With this SJW move, it's not going to stop at Remdisivir. Hospitals, drs, et al will feel justified in picking who gets the med the next time there is a shortage of some life saving drug.
And yet, HCQ costs mere pennies in comparison. No need to ration that medication.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

29again wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:39 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm Eh, this is too reductive. They aren't getting weighed more *just* because they are poor, but because they are poor they are more at risk due to various comorbidities, as well as more likely to be essential workers who will go back out to the community because they can't afford not to.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/diseas ... ework.aspx
No, it's states playing God and deciding who they want to save and who they don't. This will hurt the middle class more than anyone. The poor will get the medicine and the rich can pay for it themselves. That leaves the middle class out in the cold. One more economic nail in the middle class coffin.

The poor don't have exclusivity on diabetes, obesity, heart problems, etc. Millions of people have comorbidities that make them highly likely to die if they get COVID. In fact young people can die from this virus because they have underlying health problems. So, the suburban mom can figuratively kiss her child goodbye because some dr decided that a poor person was more deserving of that lifesaving med, simply because he/she is poor.

How is a poor person's life worth more than the farmer in the next room or cubicle who is just as sick?

This is one of those very slippery slopes. With this SJW move, it's not going to stop at Remdisivir. Hospitals, drs, et al will feel justified in picking who gets the med the next time there is a shortage of some life saving drug.
And yet, HCQ costs mere pennies in comparison. No need to ration that medication.
Ah, but there's the elephant in the room. Dr's can't and/or won't give HCQ. So patients get sicker and sicker, then some doc gets to decide that the poorer person is more worthy of getting Remdisivir.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 am

Ah, but there's the elephant in the room. Dr's can't and/or won't give HCQ. So patients get sicker and sicker, then some doc gets to decide that the poorer person is more worthy of getting Remdisivir.
Didn't I just read an article that credited HCQ for the success in the most densely packed slum in India? I don't believe that politics should play ANY part in health care, which prescriptions can be given. Fauci even said that HCQ worked for SARS (the first one) but now he seems to think it will kill us all.... I'm tired of the lies. If HCQ works, and there are plenty of studies that suggest that it actually does, then all this needs to stop and we need to give it to those who need it instead of politicizing a virus.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

29again wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 am
Mommamia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 am

Didn't I just read an article that credited HCQ for the success in the most densely packed slum in India? I don't believe that politics should play ANY part in health care, which prescriptions can be given. Fauci even said that HCQ worked for SARS (the first one) but now he seems to think it will kill us all.... I'm tired of the lies. If HCQ works, and there are plenty of studies that suggest that it actually does, then all this needs to stop and we need to give it to those who need it instead of politicizing a virus.
Yup, you just read that article correctly. You know, Fauci not only is a fraud, but a dem to boot. I haven't trusted him from the beginning.

The minute Trump mentioned HCQ, he put the death nail into it. The libs would rather see hundreds of thousands of people die, than let Trump be right. We all know the MSM is stoking COVID fears and covering up any proof of HCQ working by not reporting the positive studies. The dems politicize every thing.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did HCQ stop the last Coronavirus (2003)? Was it the proven treatment used?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is more BS from the Trump camp wanting to scare you into voting for the idiot whose gross incompetence has made the pandemic difficult to combat in the first place.
Locked Previous topicNext topic