Religious nut Senator Tom Cotton claims slavery and holocaust were necessary

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:58 pm
Aletheia wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:10 am Some people believe that everything happens for a reason, everyone who was tortured, raped, killed and set on fire had it done to them in the unfolding of a plan that had already been decided before time began.

The belief that humans have free will and at the same time will have their every move foreknown is not a contradiction, it’s a belief based on small glimpses of knowing your child will make a mistake, but allowing them to learn on their own because the lesson is more important than the pain.
There's a difference between letting a child burn a finger on a hot saucepan so that particular child, later in life, might avoid greater harm...

and allowing a child to be killed horrifically so that A DIFFERENT child might learn a lesson from it.
What is the difference if you think humanity is an entity ? ...
it’s almost irrelevant what a single person goes through in the grand scheme of things so long as it is God’s will.
John 10:14
I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me

John 10:3
To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

Matthew 10:29-31
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I also believe that everything happens for a reason. But that doesn’t mean that that was the only way to achieve that end. We still have free will and while we may have zero saying in our destination, we definitely choose the path we take. And if that path is long or short, easy or difficult, pleasant or painful that’s where our actions come into place.
What I find disturbing about his “the Holocaust was necessary” theory is that he’s claiming Hitler didn’t have the choice and therefore, how can we accuse him of wrongdoing if it was really “God’s doing”? Obviously he’s not off the hook just because God puts us in front of paths to reach a certain destination.
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm Of the Jewish Holocaust Cotton told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:
Ignoring the issue of whether the creation of the state of Israel now (instead of, say, in 500 years time) is sufficiently important to justify committing the Holocaust, were that an EITHER / OR choice, and that even the Jews wouldn't agree it was a good trade...

he's wrong from a logical point of view. It would only count as "necessary" in order to achieve it if it could have been achieved in no other possible way. And there are many possible ways it could have been achieved by an omnipotent deity who has (on occasion, it is claimed) taken a direct hand in things, destroying whole cities and manipulating the thoughts of leaders (such as Egypt's Pharaoh).
He is of the faith that everything happens for a reason and God set into motion those reasons.
So everything in all of history that has ever happened until now has been necessary.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What a moron. And no, most people in this country are not right wing extremist evangelicals, thankfully.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Of course Hitler had a choice, but he was evil.

In that sort of religious belief, the demons are put in our path for a reason also.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm I also believe that everything happens for a reason. But that doesn’t mean that that was the only way to achieve that end. We still have free will and while we may have zero saying in our destination, we definitely choose the path we take. And if that path is long or short, easy or difficult, pleasant or painful that’s where our actions come into place.
What I find disturbing about his “the Holocaust was necessary” theory is that he’s claiming Hitler didn’t have the choice and therefore, how can we accuse him of wrongdoing if it was really “God’s doing”? Obviously he’s not off the hook just because God puts us in front of paths to reach a certain destination.
Aletheia wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Ignoring the issue of whether the creation of the state of Israel now (instead of, say, in 500 years time) is sufficiently important to justify committing the Holocaust, were that an EITHER / OR choice, and that even the Jews wouldn't agree it was a good trade...

he's wrong from a logical point of view. It would only count as "necessary" in order to achieve it if it could have been achieved in no other possible way. And there are many possible ways it could have been achieved by an omnipotent deity who has (on occasion, it is claimed) taken a direct hand in things, destroying whole cities and manipulating the thoughts of leaders (such as Egypt's Pharaoh).
He is of the faith that everything happens for a reason and God set into motion those reasons.
So everything in all of history that has ever happened until now has been necessary.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:21 pm
Aletheia wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm
There's a difference between letting a child burn a finger on a hot saucepan so that particular child, later in life, might avoid greater harm...

and allowing a child to be killed horrifically so that A DIFFERENT child might learn a lesson from it.
it’s almost irrelevant what a single person goes through in the grand scheme of things so long as it is God’s will.

To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
That’s all talking about why Jesus should be their leader and how great everything will be in heaven. Part of the belief is that you will get the answers as to why so much suffering had to happen once you’re there.

There’s no promise that life on earth will be easy or free from pain. In fact, it is warned of.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm

That’s all talking about why Jesus should be their leader and how great everything will be in heaven. Part of the belief is that you will get the answers as to why so much suffering had to happen once you’re there.

There’s no promise that life on earth will be easy or free from pain. In fact, it is warned of.
It does imply that God/Jesus (depending on your sect) knows people as individuals, by name, rather than just treats them as replaceable parts of a larger entity: humanity.

Though to be fair, if you're looking at the Bible impartially, the view it most points towards is the basic unit God deals with / punishes is _the_tribe_. For example, his chosen people. His destroying cities down to the children of the offenders. The quotes about "visited upon the children, yea, unto the seventh generation". There are specific instances of him saying he knows a particular individual (usually a king or a prophet), but that's the exception. And a handful of instances where he makes species-level promises.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly.
So by saying that it was necessary, it sounds as if he’s saying God didn’t give Hitler a choice. He “made him do it” because it was necessary. That to me seems as if he’s taking blame off Hitler
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 pm Of course Hitler had a choice, but he was evil.

In that sort of religious belief, the demons are put in our path for a reason also.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm I also believe that everything happens for a reason. But that doesn’t mean that that was the only way to achieve that end. We still have free will and while we may have zero saying in our destination, we definitely choose the path we take. And if that path is long or short, easy or difficult, pleasant or painful that’s where our actions come into place.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That is true.
I don’t believe the purpose of life is suffering, though. God made many beautiful things for us to enjoy. But this isn’t a world of leisure, it’s a world of hard work and growth. And for that, pain is sometimes necessary. We may not always be able to choose the challenges we face, but we choose how we face them. That’s where our free will comes in.
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, it’s that God made demons too.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am Exactly.
So by saying that it was necessary, it sounds as if he’s saying God didn’t give Hitler a choice. He “made him do it” because it was necessary. That to me seems as if he’s taking blame off Hitler
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 pm Of course Hitler had a choice, but he was evil.

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Ah, well. That’s probably why I can’t see eye to eye on that one. I don’t believe in demons. I know Kabbalah talks about certain demons, but they’re definitely not humans with a free will just created “demonic”. They’re different entities and like angels, lack free will.
But it’s pretty much the same. If God made him that way, then it’s not really his fault that he did what he was supposed to do, right? I mean, if God made him evil for that specific purpose, then he had no choice in being good and he had to fulfill that purpose.
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 pm No, it’s that God made demons too.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am Exactly.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic