Biden, at Muslim voters summit, says ‘I wish we taught more in our schools about the Islamic faith’

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommabearof2 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 pm As long as all religions are taught, I'm fine with it. If they only want to teach one or two then no.
It would be impossible to teach all religions (there are roughly 4300) but I agree that the major world religions need to be taught. One challenge is how define the "major" religions?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Another challenge is to find people who will teach properly. I’ve seen so called “religious scholars” and at least when they talk about Judaism sometimes show serious ignorance. I imagine they don’t do much better when talking about other religions.
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm
Mommabearof2 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 pm As long as all religions are taught, I'm fine with it. If they only want to teach one or two then no.
It would be impossible to teach all religions (there are roughly 4300) but I agree that the major world religions need to be taught. One challenge is how define the "major" religions?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm And the problem is?
Are you that prejudiced that you hate the idea of learning g about different cultures and beliefs? Do you feel the same way about kids learning about Christmas or Hanukkah, or is it only Islam you don’t want them to know evaluar because Trump told you they were bad guys?
LMAO, triggered much? I feel like I am being interrogated by you.

I just said it would be great to teach Islam and LGBT side by side. it's great to teach incompatible world views so students can see that not all people agree and not all parts of the world have the same morals as Professor bike lock at Berkeley.

However, Biden is obviously pandering :lol:
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So? All politicians pander. Trump is a master panderer.
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:08 pm
Are you that prejudiced that you hate the idea of learning g about different cultures and beliefs? Do you feel the same way about kids learning about Christmas or Hanukkah, or is it only Islam you don’t want them to know evaluar because Trump told you they were bad guys?

I just said it would be great to teach Islam and LGBT side by side. it's great to teach incompatible world views so students can see that not all people agree and not all parts of the world have the same morals as Professor bike lock at Berkeley.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

No, you need to teach all of them or that is discrimination. Just like trans people only being one percent of the population shouldn't exclude them in curriculum. its okay, lets just cut biology or something and make room for more inclusive classes. social justice is the most important education and you can't have SJ and equity without educating those bigoted children on all of the religions of the world.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:10 pm So? All politicians pander. Trump is a master panderer.
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:08 pm

do you simp for trump this passionately when he panders ?

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:08 pm Another challenge is to find people who will teach properly. I’ve seen so called “religious scholars” and at least when they talk about Judaism sometimes show serious ignorance. I imagine they don’t do much better when talking about other religions.
That was my problem with my daughter's 4th grade comparative religion class. The religions covered were Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Catholicism - the country we were living in was 99% Catholic. Students were separated by the religion they most aligned with and the remainder (like my Protestant at the time daughter) put in "other" group. I asked the teacher why Catholicism rather than Christianity and she just looked at me and said they were "one in the same". One parent who was an evangelical preacher raised a stink and was able to teach one of the classes - parents were invited to attend. It ended up as a holy roller sermon with a lot of bashing. The terms "heathen" and "godless" were used repeatedly. <sigh>

While I think such a class is incredibly important, the development of the curriculum has to be non-biased, accurate, and sensitive. "Great Courses" has an awesome comparative religion class where scholars in each religion teach that unit with no "contrast/compare". Something like that modified for younger audiences would be fab.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I taught about Islam (and other religions) in my Bible class in a Christian school. Its important.

My concern is whether the education will be objective. There is good and bad. I taught the bad parts of Christianity and Christian history too. We can't sugar coat Islam and feed it to kids.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:04 am And? why shouldn’t Americans know about more than Christianity and Judaism?
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 am Emgage Action, the country’s largest Muslim American PAC, endorsed Biden in April after endorsing Bernie Sanders during the Democratic primary.

Biden told the voters he would end President Trump's travel ban affecting *SOME* Muslim-majority countries on day one of his presidency

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... amic-faith
Oh, are they taught Christianity and Judaism in your public schools? I'm pretty sure, positive in fact, in my country (USA) that's not allowed.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Emandab wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:22 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:04 am And? why shouldn’t Americans know about more than Christianity and Judaism?
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 am Emgage Action, the country’s largest Muslim American PAC, endorsed Biden in April after endorsing Bernie Sanders during the Democratic primary.

Biden told the voters he would end President Trump's travel ban affecting *SOME* Muslim-majority countries on day one of his presidency

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... amic-faith
Oh, are they taught Christianity and Judaism in your public schools? I'm pretty sure, positive in fact, in my country (USA) that's not allowed.
It’s absolutely not illegal for public schools to teach about religion in an academic way (especially as it impacts things like current events, history, literature, etc.). It’s simply illegal for any religion to be preached about and taught as fact by a teacher.
Locked Previous topicNext topic