U.S. says foreign students may have to leave if their school goes online-only

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Students at Berkeley are creating one in-person student led class for international students. I hope other colleges and Universities do the same.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I can think of a few reasons... many countries have poor internet access. There's also the issue of time zones, students outside of the country they're taking courses in may have to attend online lectures at all hours of the night. And of course studying abroad also generally subjects students to the culture of the country where they're earning their degree, it's not JUST about attending school, that's lost if they're sent back to their home country.
Fliptopz4 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am If the classes are all online, why do they need to be in the country to attend?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

justagirl wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:34 am I can think of a few reasons... many countries have poor internet access. There's also the issue of time zones, students outside of the country they're taking courses in may have to attend online lectures at all hours of the night. And of course studying abroad also generally subjects students to the culture of the country where they're earning their degree, it's not JUST about attending school, that's lost if they're sent back to their home country.
Fliptopz4 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am If the classes are all online, why do they need to be in the country to attend?
Heck, some developed countries (Canada and USA) have poor internet access in some areas. Also some courses are not set up to be done remotely, anything that requires a lab would be impossible to do on line.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I see no reason why foreign students should not be allowed to remain here if they are attending on-line classes only. They are still paying for housing, food, and many other things, helping our economy when we need all the help we can get. What would be the point? This is just more Trump BS.
Conspiracytheorist
Villein
Villein

Unread post

It’s all part of the plan
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And on his recent twitter rant he now said he’ll defund schools unless they reopen. And he’s accusing Democrats to want to keep schools closed to try to undermine him in November.
Lol... as it’s looking right now, he’s doing that very well all by himself. Threatening to defund schools is just another example of how all this “presidency” is about stroking his sick ego and. It about doing anything right. I mean, he’s threatening to leave kids without an education unless everybody does what he wants.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am And on his recent twitter rant he now said he’ll defund schools unless they reopen. And he’s accusing Democrats to want to keep schools closed to try to undermine him in November.
Lol... as it’s looking right now, he’s doing that very well all by himself. Threatening to defund schools is just another example of how all this “presidency” is about stroking his sick ego and. It about doing anything right. I mean, he’s threatening to leave kids without an education unless everybody does what he wants.
His twitter page has been more crazy and unhinged than usual. I was looking at his train wreck of a timeline yesterday.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:21 am Students at Berkeley are creating one in-person student led class for international students. I hope other colleges and Universities do the same.
It is shameful that they are even in the position to do this behind such a trash move.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:21 am Students at Berkeley are creating one in-person student led class for international students. I hope other colleges and Universities do the same.
It is shameful that they are even in the position to do this behind such a trash move.
It really is. And there is no real logic to it other than to be cruel. There are on average 1 million international students in the US. Making students and universities scramble at this point is ludicrous. It's just Trump's way to once again appeal to his base - sticking it to higher education and foreign nationals at the same time.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Man, and he’s meeting with the Mexican President today or tomorrow. I don’t think he speaks a word of English, the idiot barely speaks Spanish, lol. If Trump is more on edge than usual, therefore more incoherent than usual, that’ll be a fun meeting, lol.
Hopefully they’ll bond over the fact that no one likes them anymore 😂. They can support each other, become BFFs.
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am And on his recent twitter rant he now said he’ll defund schools unless they reopen. And he’s accusing Democrats to want to keep schools closed to try to undermine him in November.
His twitter page has been more crazy and unhinged than usual. I was looking at his train wreck of a timeline yesterday.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic