U.S. says foreign students may have to leave if their school goes online-only

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"WASHINGTON — The government announced Monday that international students will not be allowed to stay in the country if the institution in which they're enrolled is holding online-only courses this fall, and those failing to comply with the rules will risk deportation.

Students on F-1 and M-1 visas who face such a situation "must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status," the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a news release."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... l-n1233026
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Luckily my kid is here and if he has to start classes online, so be it. He’ll travel when it’s safe.
Something tells me Trump wanted to get into Harvard and couldn’t. That’s why he’s bitching it at it 😂
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm Luckily my kid is here and if he has to start classes online, so be it. He’ll travel when it’s safe.
Something tells me Trump wanted to get into Harvard and couldn’t. That’s why he’s bitching it at it 😂
I think it's his attempt to strong arm universities into opening and screw over foreign national students at the same time (win-win in his feeble mind). Foreign students are major income for most colleges and universities not to mention what this will do to the students themselves.

Does your son's school have a fair number of foreign national students? Do they live in different time zones or not have reliable internet? These are the ones who are going to be shit out of luck.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm Luckily my kid is here and if he has to start classes online, so be it. He’ll travel when it’s safe.
Your 'something' is way off. Wharton is the top business school in the country. It's a part of the prestigious University of Pennsylvania.
-----------------

Is Wharton better than Harvard?

"Wharton is slightly more prestigious than Harvard for finance in today's world due to its superior reputation for the technical (quants/programming skills) elements of finance."
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LOL!
Man, you people can’t take a joke if it involves your guru.
Mommamia wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 pm
Your 'something' is way off. Wharton is the top business school in the country. It's a part of the prestigious University of Pennsylvania.
-----------------

"Wharton is slightly more prestigious than Harvard for finance in today's world due to its superior reputation for the technical (quants/programming skills) elements of finance."
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I also think he’s trying to do something regarding immigration before the election, since that’s yet another of his unfulfilled promises and COVID just gave him an opening.

My son is still in high school, so it seems this won’t affect him. And the foreign students are basically from Mexico and Canada, the time zones aren’t that big of a deal. They also have a few students from different states within the U.S. I don’t think any of them has issues with internet access, though. They all finished the year online.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:22 pm
I think it's his attempt to strong arm universities into opening and screw over foreign national students at the same time (win-win in his feeble mind). Foreign students are major income for most colleges and universities not to mention what this will do to the students themselves.

Does your son's school have a fair number of foreign national students? Do they live in different time zones or not have reliable internet? These are the ones who are going to be shit out of luck.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 pm LOL!
Man, you people can’t take a joke if it involves your guru.
-----------------

Oh, that was a joke? You're really not good at making jokes.
Mommabearof2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I thought I heard on the news yesterday that it was already the standard procedure (law) to return nonimmigrant students if they could only do on line classes. The law was modified for the last spring semester but will not be extended into the new school year.
Fliptopz4
Countess
Countess

Unread post

If the classes are all online, why do they need to be in the country to attend?
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, Wharton is now prestigious. When trump applied, it was not as difficult to get in. A dean of admissions attested to that. As a matter of fact, trump's brother reached out to a friend ( the dean of admissions who received trump's application and said that at the time of trump's application, it was not difficult to get in to the school ) at Wharton to help him get in.

Meanwhile, JK's daddy "donated" $2.5M right before he was admitted to Harvard in 1999.

Sadly, despite trump attending Wharton, he's still a horrible businessman. Looks like the only thing he learned was to file bankruptcy after losing other people's money.

I read somewhere that some people in high society in NYC had a saying ...," Want to make a small fortune? Give trump a big fortune."

-----------------

Locked Previous topicNext topic