U.S. says foreign students may have to leave if their school goes online-only

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:28 pm It makes sense. Why would they need to be here if they're not physically going to class? They can turn their computer on from their home country the same as here, can't they? I'm not understanding the upset. Just because "orange man bad"? I don't find this upsetting in the least.

What is actually upsetting is the huge ripoff of these universities not operating a physical institution for these students, but they're not discounting the tuition. That's something to complain about. That's not fair to these kids and their families AT ALL! That would infuriate me if I had a kid in school.
There are 1 million foreign national students attending colleges/universities in the US. They are undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate students. Many are continuing their studies (not new students) so have housing, either on or off campus, secured. Can you see how this would be difficult for students who are already here in the US? Most universities that are offering on-line only classes are still allowing students to use their research facilities (labs, libraries, etc.). These students that need these resources will not be able to access them out of the country. Can you see how this would be problematic? Most universities that have switched to online studies are doing so with the same course schedule as in-class studies, i.e., 11:30-1:00 TTh. Can you not see how this would be difficult for students who live in different time zones, have limited access to internet, or their internet use is censored?

There is no reason for these students to not be allowed to attend brick and mortar schools who have adjusted to online learning because of the pandemic. None, except to financially punish colleges and universities and to be cruel to international students. Some schools are implementing "work arounds" and I hope all schools/and students affected are able to do that. It's just so incredibly stupid that they have to.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And the irony of it is that his bachelor's degree is in Wharton is in economics! LOL!
Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:46 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 am Yes, Wharton is now prestigious. When trump applied, it was not as difficult to get in. A dean of admissions attested to that. As a matter of fact, trump's brother reached out to a friend ( the dean of admissions who received trump's application and said that at the time of trump's application, it was not difficult to get in to the school ) at Wharton to help him get in.

Meanwhile, JK's daddy "donated" $2.5M right before he was admitted to Harvard in 1999.

Sadly, despite trump attending Wharton, he's still a horrible businessman. Looks like the only thing he learned was to file bankruptcy after losing other people's money.

I read somewhere that some people in high society in NYC had a saying ...," Want to make a small fortune? Give trump a big fortune."

Mommamia wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Your 'something' is way off. Wharton is the top business school in the country. It's a part of the prestigious University of Pennsylvania.
-----------------

Is Wharton better than Harvard?

"Wharton is slightly more prestigious than Harvard for finance in today's world due to its superior reputation for the technical (quants/programming skills) elements of finance."
To get an MBA at Wharton is prestigious. Something Trump doesn’t have. Trump went to a commuter school for his first two years and then transferred to the undergraduate program at Wharton. Not even close to the same as its graduate school.

Trump is the only modern day president without an advanced degree. His voters were too impressed with The Apprentice to notice.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 pm 81 is too old ... Hmm... But you have no problem hanging on and defending the word of a 74 "stable genius" who erroneously claims he doesn't know and no one knows what the 19 in CovId-19 stands for; and allegedly asked around and no one is able to tell him what the 19 is ...?

JK - jared k

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 am Yes, Wharton is now prestigious. When trump applied, it was not as difficult to get in. A dean of admissions attested to that. As a matter of fact, trump's brother reached out to a friend ( the dean of admissions who received trump's application and said that at the time of trump's application, it was not difficult to get in to the school ) at Wharton to help him get in.

Meanwhile, JK's daddy "donated" $2.5M right before he was admitted to Harvard in 1999.

Sadly, despite trump attending Wharton, he's still a horrible businessman. Looks like the only thing he learned was to file bankruptcy after losing other people's money.

I read somewhere that some people in high society in NYC had a saying ...," Want to make a small fortune? Give trump a big fortune."

Right. I don't put a lot into the memories of an 81 year old man.

Who's JK?
It's a well known fact that universities and the people they employ are progressive dems. Progressive dems hate Trump. So, the ruminations of an old man who obviously hates Trump aren't worth a flying rat's ass.

And as for Jared''s father donating millions to the school he went too, it happens all of the time with the rich. Should it get them preferential treatment? No, but it's just another one of those unfair things that happens in life. How do you think Harvard has accumulated a $40B endowment fund. A fund that should be used for those who can't afford expensive schools.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:01 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 pm

It is shameful that they are even in the position to do this behind such a trash move.
It really is. And there is no real logic to it other than to be cruel. There are on average 1 million international students in the US. Making students and universities scramble at this point is ludicrous. It's just Trump's way to once again appeal to his base - sticking it to higher education and foreign nationals at the same time.
Our numbers are steady climbing because he has politicized this pandemic to death, stirring up confusion and refusing to quit damn doing it.

It’s disgusting to cause problems for these universities and picking on students as if getting an education isn’t stressful enough with all this going on. I couldn’t imagine having to deal with this when I was in college with no pandemic.

He is trash for this.
Both sides have politicized the pandemic, especially the dems.

Biden is using the pandemic as a lame excuse to hide out in his basement because he and his handlers know he'll expose his failing mind to the public even more than he already has when asked any questions that haven't been scripted for him..
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:46 pm

Mommamia wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Your 'something' is way off. Wharton is the top business school in the country. It's a part of the prestigious University of Pennsylvania.
-----------------

Is Wharton better than Harvard?

"Wharton is slightly more prestigious than Harvard for finance in today's world due to its superior reputation for the technical (quants/programming skills) elements of finance."
To get an MBA at Wharton is prestigious. Something Trump doesn’t have. Trump went to a commuter school for his first two years and then transferred to the undergraduate program at Wharton. Not even close to the same as its graduate school.

Trump is the only modern day president without an advanced degree. His voters were too impressed with The Apprentice to notice.
A commuter school? Fordham is a very good university. So, if a college being in a city where students can commute to is bad..............then so are DePaul, Loyola, Univ of IL at Chicago, Northwestern....NYC schools: Columbia, NYU, Fordam, Barnard, and on and on.

Your elitist attitude really makes for one ugly person.

PS.....I never watched the Apprentice, and don't know anyone who did. Shove your anti-Trump supporter bs where the sun don't shine, dearie.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:28 pm It makes sense. Why would they need to be here if they're not physically going to class? They can turn their computer on from their home country the same as here, can't they? I'm not understanding the upset. Just because "orange man bad"? I don't find this upsetting in the least.

What is actually upsetting is the huge ripoff of these universities not operating a physical institution for these students, but they're not discounting the tuition. That's something to complain about. That's not fair to these kids and their families AT ALL! That would infuriate me if I had a kid in school.
There are 1 million foreign national students attending colleges/universities in the US. They are undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate students. Many are continuing their studies (not new students) so have housing, either on or off campus, secured. Can you see how this would be difficult for students who are already here in the US? Most universities that are offering on-line only classes are still allowing students to use their research facilities (labs, libraries, etc.). These students that need these resources will not be able to access them out of the country. Can you see how this would be problematic? Most universities that have switched to online studies are doing so with the same course schedule as in-class studies, i.e., 11:30-1:00 TTh. Can you not see how this would be difficult for students who live in different time zones, have limited access to internet, or their internet use is censored?

There is no reason for these students to not be allowed to attend brick and mortar schools who have adjusted to online learning because of the pandemic. None, except to financially punish colleges and universities and to be cruel to international students. Some schools are implementing "work arounds" and I hope all schools/and students affected are able to do that. It's just so incredibly stupid that they have to.
There is no reason for any of these universities/colleges to remain closed. They are the ones causing all of this trouble for foreign students.

They all should contact Tulane University to learn how to keep their schools open while maintaining as much safety for students and teachers as is possible.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Can you ever get through a post without saying orange man bad. It doesn’t make any sense.

Because the United States can’t get the virus in control, there is no way to get a flight to Europe and other places because flights from the US are banned.. One million students. How are they supposed to get home? And tens of thousands of empty rentals if they all had to leave. bankrupt landlords.
Can you ever get through a post no matter what the topic is without twisting it into a Trump/Trump supporters hate piece?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:01 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm

It really is. And there is no real logic to it other than to be cruel. There are on average 1 million international students in the US. Making students and universities scramble at this point is ludicrous. It's just Trump's way to once again appeal to his base - sticking it to higher education and foreign nationals at the same time.
Our numbers are steady climbing because he has politicized this pandemic to death, stirring up confusion and refusing to quit damn doing it.

It’s disgusting to cause problems for these universities and picking on students as if getting an education isn’t stressful enough with all this going on. I couldn’t imagine having to deal with this when I was in college with no pandemic.

He is trash for this.
Both sides have politicized the pandemic, especially the dems.

Biden is using the pandemic as a lame excuse to hide out in his basement because he and his handlers know he'll expose his failing mind to the public even more than he already has when asked any questions that haven't been scripted for him..
Biden isn’t President and if people feel like he isn’t visible enough, they can just choose not to vote for him. If he wins President and starts making f’ed up decisions, I’ll complain about him too.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fred trump jr’s friend hated/s d trump? You get this from him saying his application gave no indication of a genius and was a run of the mill application?
Yet, trump himself doesn’t want to disclose his genius level transcripts.

He never attended an MBA program at Wharton. That program is considered highly prestigious.

trump was only at Wharton for two years and got a bachelor’s in economics. He went on to put his genius in action by having his businesses declare bankruptcy six times.

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 pm 81 is too old ... Hmm... But you have no problem hanging on and defending the word of a 74 "stable genius" who erroneously claims he doesn't know and no one knows what the 19 in CovId-19 stands for; and allegedly asked around and no one is able to tell him what the 19 is ...?

JK - jared k

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Right. I don't put a lot into the memories of an 81 year old man.

Who's JK?
It's a well known fact that universities and the people they employ are progressive dems. Progressive dems hate Trump. So, the ruminations of an old man who obviously hates Trump aren't worth a flying rat's ass.

And as for Jared''s father donating millions to the school he went too, it happens all of the time with the rich. Should it get them preferential treatment? No, but it's just another one of those unfair things that happens in life. How do you think Harvard has accumulated a $40B endowment fund. A fund that should be used for those who can't afford expensive schools.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:14 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm

There is no reason for any of these universities/colleges to remain closed. They are the ones causing all of this trouble for foreign students.

They all should contact Tulane University to learn how to keep their schools open while maintaining as much safety for students and teachers as is possible.
Tulane's summer sessions are currently online. Tulane won't open to on-campus learning until middle of August. I did look at the Tulane's website and measures for opening in the Fall are impressive. 5% of the university population will be tested daily, contract tracing will be conducted for all who test positive, masks are required, social distancing is required in all university spaces, faculty and staff who have been exposed will quarantine in their residences. Students will quarantine in the infirmary.

While impressive, there is a risk in this plan. If a significant number of staff, faculty, and or students are exposed, what does that do to the feasibility of on-campus learning? Also, the plan has a caveat: "These recommendations and university plans could change based on developments and policies enacted on the local, state and national level."

My daughter's college is planning to open with similar measures in place, however, they recognize that they may have to go back to online learning if there are a significant number of Covid-19 cases on campus or if state policy dictates closure. What would that mean for the international students who make up 25% of the student population?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic