Hydroxychloroquine when give early in hospitals saves more lives

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm
Mommamia wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm

OMG. I guess that means Gilead won't be making more of this medication.
You were the one saying that Remdesivir trials were unreliable and it shouldn't be the drug of choice. I was just pointing out that currently, the Trump administration feels that it is the drug of choice - so much so that they have bought up the CURRENT world stock of Remdesivir. You didn't know this? What news sources to you read?

"The US bought up 90% of the world's supply of remdesivir for the next 3 months, and patents mean many countries won't be able to get any"

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-buys ... ths-2020-7
Do you understand what a patent on a drug means? It doesn't mean other countries won't be able to purchase the drug. New drugs always have a patent anywhere from 10 to 20 years. Having a patent prevents any other companies from making the same drug. A drug that a pharmaceutical company spent on average $350M to develop. Seeing that Gilead got a fast track on this drug, their costs weren't anywhere near that. I personally think they are ripping off not only our gov't, but any gov't, hospital, whatever anywhere.

How quickly you all forget that Trump was excoriated for not having pandemic supplies stockpiled, when it was Obama who used up most of the stockpiles for SARS and MERS, and never replaced any of it.

So, I would say that Trump is making sure that's not going to happen again.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
Um, yes, I do know what a patent means. Gilead Science's patent on Remdesivir allows low and middle income countries to reproduce it but they are not allowed to sell their product to high income countries. High income countries must purchase through Gilead and it will be available for those countries to purchase at $2300ish a course of treatment. US has purchased all Gilead's current stock plus 90% of future stock through August.

Why do you feel that Hydroxchloroquine is a better treatment than Remdesivir despite studies showing otherwise? Do you feel that the Trump administration is making a very expensive mistake in stockpiling Remdesivir? Do you feel that Trump bears any responsibility for lack of stockpiled PPE equipment in light of the fact that he has been in office for 3 1/2 years?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm

You were the one saying that Remdesivir trials were unreliable and it shouldn't be the drug of choice. I was just pointing out that currently, the Trump administration feels that it is the drug of choice - so much so that they have bought up the CURRENT world stock of Remdesivir. You didn't know this? What news sources to you read?

"The US bought up 90% of the world's supply of remdesivir for the next 3 months, and patents mean many countries won't be able to get any"

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-buys ... ths-2020-7
Do you understand what a patent on a drug means? It doesn't mean other countries won't be able to purchase the drug. New drugs always have a patent anywhere from 10 to 20 years. Having a patent prevents any other companies from making the same drug. A drug that a pharmaceutical company spent on average $350M to develop. Seeing that Gilead got a fast track on this drug, their costs weren't anywhere near that. I personally think they are ripping off not only our gov't, but any gov't, hospital, whatever anywhere.

How quickly you all forget that Trump was excoriated for not having pandemic supplies stockpiled, when it was Obama who used up most of the stockpiles for SARS and MERS, and never replaced any of it.

Um, yes, I do know what a patent means. Gilead Science's patent on Remdesivir allows low and middle income countries to reproduce it but they are not allowed to sell their product to high income countries. High income countries must purchase through Gilead and it will be available for those countries to purchase at $2300ish a course of treatment. US has purchased all Gilead's current stock plus 90% of future stock through August.

Why do you feel that Hydroxchloroquine is a better treatment than Remdesivir despite studies showing otherwise? Do you feel that the Trump administration is making a very expensive mistake in stockpiling Remdesivir? Do you feel that Trump bears any responsibility for lack of stockpiled PPE equipment in light of the fact that he has been in office for 3 1/2 years?
I am not saying one treatment is better than another. Hydroxy is best used in the early stages and shows good positive results. Remdesivir is used in advanced stages. The FDA is ignoring proven studies of hydroxy by rescinding approval. I still believe that hydroxy is being put down because Trump promoted it. It is all political. Everything to do with this virus is political. Nothing has anything to do with the welfare of Americans and people in every other country.

Is Trump making a mistake by stockpiling Remdesivir? Who knows. We'll only have an idea on that way on down the road when we see how much was actually needed by the time this pandemic is over. But I can understand why he is probably doing it.

No I don't think Trump is responsible for Obama's blunders. It was Obama's responsibility to replenish the stockpiles after SARS and MERS, not kick the can down the road to the next president. Are you responsible for blunders that say your mother made before you? Should you be criticized and have to pay for her mistakes? Same kind of thing.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If I take a job that includes ordering certain supplies, and find out that the person who had the job before me didn’t reorder supplies that had been depleted, then almost four years later we needed the supplies and did not have them, do you think my boss would accept “well Jane never ordered them,” do as an answer?
Mommamia wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 pm

I am not saying one treatment is better than another. Hydroxy is best used in the early stages and shows good positive results. Remdesivir is used in advanced stages. The FDA is ignoring proven studies of hydroxy by rescinding approval. I still believe that hydroxy is being put down because Trump promoted it. It is all political. Everything to do with this virus is political. Nothing has anything to do with the welfare of Americans and people in every other country.

Is Trump making a mistake by stockpiling Remdesivir? Who knows. We'll only have an idea on that way on down the road when we see how much was actually needed by the time this pandemic is over. But I can understand why he is probably doing it.

No I don't think Trump is responsible for Obama's blunders. It was Obama's responsibility to replenish the stockpiles after SARS and MERS, not kick the can down the road to the next president. Are you responsible for blunders that say your mother made before you? Should you be criticized and have to pay for her mistakes? Same kind of thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic