Please explain why this double standard is pervasive on the left

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:33 pm You miss the point. It’s not about the characters, it’s about discrimination and catering to a demographic because if you don’t, you’re accused of racism. If white actors were playing parts of a character traditionally portrayed as a different race, I’m sorry, but I’m thinking you’d be at the forefront of the indignation, crying racism an what not. So why is it something to shrug off if it’s the other way around?

Because as I said, I’m all for the best actor getting a role REGARDLESS of race as long as it’s a character with whom you can do that- and let’s face it, a 5th century king of England, he was surely white. But if it’s racist for an actor to get a part because he’s white, when race isn’t an issue in the story, then it’s equally racist for an actor to get a part because he’s black, unless the part demands it,
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm Only the right care. We on the left don't give a flying f**k. King Arthur is an imaginary person anyway. Just like Snow White. And Ariel. They're ACTORS playing a part.
White actors have traditionally played parts of different races since forever.

All screen writers and playwrights have an image of what they want a character to look like. If they want that character to be a POC when in the past is was traditionally played by a white actor/actress, why not? If they think that the play or movie will appeal to a wider demographic, why not? If they feel that actors of color have not traditionally been given strong roles on the stage or in film and want to give them the opportunity, why not?

Theater especially has traditionally been a "white" profession with few roles and opportunity for actors of color in any substantial role and when you think about plays and musicals, they are meant to be a story told to an audience. No one for a minute believes that that is actually Alexander Hamilton on the stage so why does it matter if the actor is white, Black, or blue? Isn't the story still told?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 670

Unread post

No I didn't miss the point. Hollywood has had white actors play ethnic parts for 80 some years. Jewish guys and white guys played indians in all those westerns. Audrey Hepburn played a chinese woman in Dragon Seed. It's been going on forever. It's about time black actors start getting screen time.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:33 pm You miss the point. It’s not about the characters, it’s about discrimination and catering to a demographic because if you don’t, you’re accused of racism. If white actors were playing parts of a character traditionally portrayed as a different race, I’m sorry, but I’m thinking you’d be at the forefront of the indignation, crying racism an what not. So why is it something to shrug off if it’s the other way around?

Because as I said, I’m all for the best actor getting a role REGARDLESS of race as long as it’s a character with whom you can do that- and let’s face it, a 5th century king of England, he was surely white. But if it’s racist for an actor to get a part because he’s white, when race isn’t an issue in the story, then it’s equally racist for an actor to get a part because he’s black, unless the part demands it,
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm Only the right care. We on the left don't give a flying f**k. King Arthur is an imaginary person anyway. Just like Snow White. And Ariel. They're ACTORS playing a part.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't know if I'd call it a double standard. The issue with white people getting called out usually has to do with "whitewashing" a character that in the source material is a POC (for example, Sarlett Johannson getting cast as a character that was originally Japanese, name and all). There might not be a reason that character couldn't be white, but it's generally felt that it's already harder for POC to get roles, so it's an extra insult when a role goes to a white person when that character was originally a POC. Why not just cast a Japanese actress, KWIM?

So this is more balancing the scales than it is a double standard, IMO. I mean, technically I can see the "issue" but it has been unequal for so long, I just can't say I'm bothered by this.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So you agree that was unfair.
So why isn’t it when it’s the other way around? Two wrongs don’t make a right, you know? Racism goes both ways.
If it was racist and unfair for white actors to take ethnic roles, then it’s racist and unfair for black actors to take roles of characters that should be white.
Otherwise we’re not talking about equality, we’re talking about revenge.

And really, what you said was that you don’t give a damn, but it sounds to me like you gave a damn when the situation was reversed. And if these are imaginary persons anyway, why would you care if they’re portrayed by white actors, even if it’s historically inaccurate, right? I mean, we now shouldn’t care that they’re portrayed by black actors, even if historically inaccurate, so why care if it goes the other way?
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 pm No I didn't miss the point. Hollywood has had white actors play ethnic parts for 80 some years. Jewish guys and white guys played indians in all those westerns. Audrey Hepburn played a chinese woman in Dragon Seed. It's been going on forever. It's about time black actors start getting screen time.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I do not see the issue. These are roles that traditionally went to white actors. POC have been poorly represented on film and stage. I honestly do not care if a black actor plays King Arthur. White actors have been playing the lead in Othello for years. I don't see it as a double standard and I don't care.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 pm So you agree that was unfair.
So why isn’t it when it’s the other way around? Two wrongs don’t make a right, you know? Racism goes both ways.
If it was racist and unfair for white actors to take ethnic roles, then it’s racist and unfair for black actors to take roles of characters that should be white.

And really, what you said was that you don’t give a damn, but it sounds to me like you gave a damn when the situation was reversed. And if these are imaginary persons anyway, why would you care if they’re portrayed by white actors, even if it’s historically inaccurate, right? I mean, we now shouldn’t care that they’re portrayed by black actors, even if historically inaccurate, so why care if it goes the other way?
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 pm No I didn't miss the point. Hollywood has had white actors play ethnic parts for 80 some years. Jewish guys and white guys played indians in all those westerns. Audrey Hepburn played a chinese woman in Dragon Seed. It's been going on forever. It's about time black actors start getting screen time.

jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is "being white" central to the plot or character of King Arthur?
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Jake Gyllenhal played the Prince of Persia...

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Why should a role "demand" a certain race? As a principal dancer in ABT, Misty Copeland has played the role of Cinderella, Swan Princess, Juliet, and many others. Should her roles be limited to only playing traditional POC roles in ballet? I saw Lawrence Brownlee perform in the "Barber of Seville". Was it racist that he, as a Black opera singer, was given the role of Count Almaviva?

I do agree that sometimes the character's race is important to the story, i.e., stories about minority experience. "12 Years a Slave" would not have been effective or appropriate with a white primary actor. I just think we tend to blur the line when the race of the actor is important to the story and when it is just traditionally expected.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Charlton Heston as Moses is another one.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 pm So what I have got is no one has an answer
Or more importantly no one cares. Idk the show. I would be mildly annoyed because historically King Arthur, if he existed was probably Caucasian. But since it was a chance kid that pulled the sword out i guess he could have been black. "Shrug" I didn't like them changing Nick Fury either in the movies because in the Marvel comic the character is Caucasian. But Samuel L Jackson was good in the role so whatever. Same here. I don't know the show and so it doesn't worry me a lot.
Locked Previous topicNext topic