Please explain why this double standard is pervasive on the left

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree with that 100%.
Thing is... I’m not sure these castings are “regardless”. I think that, in most cases, it’s done intentionally. And when you’re giving preference to black actors to jump on the PC wagon, that’s discrimination as well.
Like with “The Little Mermaid”, for example. Take first “Aladdin”, Disney admits it took them a while to find the lead actors who “looked the part” and could do the singing. So obviously they didn’t audition Caucasians for the role, it would’ve been inconsistent. But then they choose a black girl to be Ariel? Do you seriously think that there weren’t countless actresses that “looked the part” and could do it just as well or even better? But I bet they purposely chose a black actress, just to be PC. That’s not right either. That’s discrimination. And yet, people applaud that as “equality”.
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm Who cares?? Honestly. What is the problem with having an actor that auditioned and won the part play the character? Case in point- Hamilton. All of the people represented in the musical were white..several were slaveholders. Every single character was played by a person of color in the original broadway cast. It was cast perfectly. I'm all for it. Cast whomever is best for the part regardless of color, creed, religion, sexuality, etc.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. And for me that means “NO racism” and “NO sexism”, no vilifying whites and men.
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm I am in complete support of “No racism tolerated “ and “ No sexism tolerated”.

But I support that for myself and my sons as well as everyone else in the world.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:41 pm I can’t say I disagree with that. It seems in America feminism now means misandry and equality means vilifying whites. It’s very sad and disturbing to see. Why can’t people find a healthy middle ground?
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:36 pm

In America it is perfectly fine to employ people based on “No White people allowed” and “ No men allowed”.

In other countries they would call that racism and sexism.

In America it is thought of as a way to end racism and sexism.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm King Arthur to be played by a black actor in Netflix show "Cursed"

So Netflix = "Left" ???
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm King Arthur to be played by a black actor in Netflix show "Cursed"

So Netflix = "Left" ???
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:13 pm

So Netflix = "Left" ???
LMAO, I hope you're kidding.

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix ... ves-2018-5

Democrats have a huge fundraising advantage across Silicon Valley but an astronomical edge among Netflix and Apple employees

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/25/apple-n ... icans.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... ph-2018-11

These 17 Netflix Documentaries Will Help You Stay Woke
https://www.bustle.com/p/these-17-netfl ... woke-36707
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

So what I have got is no one has an answer
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My only answer is that sometimes there’s a fine line between fighting for justice and equality before that equality doesn’t apply to the perceived “oppressors” and you start feeling that they deserve a backlash. As it was once said on “Charmed”, a fine line between “protecting the innocent and punishing the guilty” 🤷🏼‍♀️
It seems America is pulling at extremes, an ideological tug-of-war and no one seems to get to a healthy middle ground.
Mr.Smile wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 pm So what I have got is no one has an answer
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Only the right care. We on the left don't give a flying f**k. King Arthur is an imaginary person anyway. Just like Snow White. And Ariel. They're ACTORS playing a part.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You miss the point. It’s not about the characters, it’s about discrimination and catering to a demographic because if you don’t, you’re accused of racism. If white actors were playing parts of a character traditionally portrayed as a different race, I’m sorry, but I’m thinking you’d be at the forefront of the indignation, crying racism an what not. So why is it something to shrug off if it’s the other way around?

Because as I said, I’m all for the best actor getting a role REGARDLESS of race as long as it’s a character with whom you can do that- and let’s face it, a 5th century king of England, he was surely white. But if it’s racist for an actor to get a part because he’s white, when race isn’t an issue in the story, then it’s equally racist for an actor to get a part because he’s black, unless the part demands it,
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm Only the right care. We on the left don't give a flying f**k. King Arthur is an imaginary person anyway. Just like Snow White. And Ariel. They're ACTORS playing a part.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm Who cares?? Honestly. What is the problem with having an actor that auditioned and won the part play the character? Case in point- Hamilton. All of the people represented in the musical were white..several were slaveholders. Every single character was played by a person of color in the original broadway cast. It was cast perfectly. I'm all for it. Cast whomever is best for the part regardless of color, creed, religion, sexuality, etc.
There was a great interview with Lin Manuel Miranda on NPR's "Fresh Air" a few days ago. Growing up, he wanted to be on the stage, particularly musicals, but realized early on that there were no parts written for people of color (other than West Side Story). When reading the book and coming up with the score, he immediately went to hip-hop and realized that this would be an opportunity for POC to act in a stage production. It's sad, IMO, to see people see this as racism rather than what it is - celebrating Black music as well as giving POC the opportunity to be on the stage. No one complains that period pieces in general are cast with predominantly white characters but yet complain when a few pieces are cast with predominantly POC characters.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic