Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Dr. Anthony Fauci “doesn’t know what he’s talking about”

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd trust a person in the science field with an MD and experience over a politician any day of the week. I thought that was common sense.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Aren't the hospitals in Austin reaching capacity right now because of a surge in covid cases?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

As Texas sets records for new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations day after day, the state’s hospital capacity — one of the key metrics that Gov. Greg Abbott cited as he allowed businesses to reopen — has become the focus of increased attention and concern.

But the state isn’t releasing the information it collects about how many beds individual hospitals have available. And only a fraction of the state’s hospitals, cities and counties are providing that information to the public on their own.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/02 ... ronavirus/
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:51 am
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 am The only important number in all of this is the death rate, not how many people have tested positive.
An increase in the number testing positive this week will tend to lead to an increase in the number dying 2 weeks later.

They're linked.

As such, sensible people keep an eye on both trends.
An increase in testing doesn't have any correlation to the number who die. As is happening in TX and FL, the majority of new cases are 20-40 year olds. Very few people in that age group die from COVID.

What is the common denominator, here? That's the age group that is most likely to be partying hard, taking chances with their health, congregating in bars, etc.

So, large increases in positive tests doesn't really worry me since the more tests performed, the more positives you will find. Should that suddenly turn to similar large increases in death, then I would worry.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 pm
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 am The only important number in all of this is the death rate, not how many people have tested positive.
An increase in the number testing positive this week will tend to lead to an increase in the number dying 2 weeks later.

They're linked.

An increase in testing doesn't have any correlation to the number who die. As is happening in TX and FL, the majority of new cases are 20-40 year olds. Very few people in that age group die from COVID.

What is the common denominator, here? That's the age group that is most likely to be partying hard, taking chances with their health, congregating in bars, etc.

So, large increases in positive tests doesn't really worry me since the more tests performed, the more positives you will find. Should that suddenly turn to similar large increases in death, then I would worry.
Aren't you assuming that the 20-40 year olds haven't had recent contact with the elderly or otherwise at risk?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am Just heard a doctor on CNN discuss care rationing in Texas right now. They have exceeded ICU capacity and the case rates are still climbing.
Intensive care units in one of the world’s largest medical centers are operating at 102% capacity as coronavirus cases surge in Texas, according to a report Wednesday from Texas Medical Center in Houston.

Texas was one of the first states to push for an aggressive strategy to reopen businesses and activities after quarantine regulations forced a national shutdown. Abbott ordered bars to shut down again and called for restaurants to operate at 50% capacity after allowing them to reopen.

Meanwhile, county and city officials in Texas have began enacting face mask requirements to try to slow the surge.

On Tuesday, the state saw 6,975 new COVID-19 cases in a single day, marking a new record for the state.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/houston- ... 52460.html
MonarchMom,

Stop spreading CNN lies. Not all or even most Texas hospitals are at capacity for ICU beds. TMC (Texas Medical Center) member hospitals have 3 levels of ICU beds. Phase 1 levels are full, but only 38% of those are COVID (just like the Gov said,,,,most ICU beds are occupied by people very sick from other conditions). Phase 2 level 79% full, but only 30% are covid. Phase 3 level 61% full with only 23% covid. Then Phase 4...further capacity can be obtained by converting reg surgical/medical beds to ICU.

Lots of informative stuff can be found here.....

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates ... occupancy/
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 pm

They're linked.

Aren't you assuming that the 20-40 year olds haven't had recent contact with the elderly or otherwise at risk?
That really has nothing to do with a correlation or lack there of of a major increase in positives to a major increase in deaths.

In some ways, more positive test results put us closer to herd immunity, which is more likely to bring an end to this disaster than illegally closing businesses down and ordering people to stay in their homes.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:47 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 pm

That really has nothing to do with a correlation or lack there of of a major increase in positives to a major increase in deaths.

In some ways, more positive test results put us closer to herd immunity, which is more likely to bring an end to this disaster than illegally closing businesses down and ordering people to stay in their homes.
There is no evidence that contracting Covid-19 conveys long-term immunity.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They're linked.

An increase in testing doesn't have any correlation to the number who die.

So, large increases in positive tests doesn't really worry me, since the more tests performed, the more positives you will find.
Note my use of the word "tend".

It is possible to get an increase of the number of positive test results without there being an increase in the fraction of people infected, just by increasing the absolute number being tested per week.

But you're assume that is the only factor, and it quite obviously isn't.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

wildflowers25 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:53 pm A lot of the problem in Texas and other states is people screaming about their Constitutional rights to go out and "assemble", from what I've seen, read and heard usually for parties and going to bars and restaurants. I went to two places this morning, not because I wanted to but I had to to get what we need. I wore my mask in both. Most are refusing to even with cases rising weekly where we are.

Honestly, I'm trusting the supposed experts about as much as I trust politicians right now. They've waffled too much in the last several months and told us one thing after another with no real research done, only to reverse their advice later. Common sense at this point looks like social distancing, masks when in public and not being in crowded places just because people want to, but common sense isn't common.
Part of the problem is that this is a new virus or virus mutation. We, in general, want all the answers in less than a year. Answers that usually takes years to answer. So the experts are going to continually revise information because the research is still in progress.

Now as far as politicians, it seems like many of them are more concerned over their perceived image than our actual health. Whether it’s those downplaying it, like Trump, or those making ridiculous requests that they know will never be granted like Pelosi. None of them give a damn about us, just themselves. We, again general, need to realize this. This virus doesn’t care what your political affiliation is. We, again general, need to stand together and collectively tell our government that we aren’t going to play their political games at the expense of our lives.
Locked Previous topicNext topic