Candace Owens’ GoFundMe campaign for Parkside owner removed

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Candace Owens, a conservative commentator and political activist, launched a GoFundMe campaign in support of Michael Dykes, a Birmingham bar owner who slammed the George Floyd protests, calling Floyd a “thug” and protesters “idiots.”
https://www.al.com/life/2020/06/candace ... owner.html
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If it violates ToS, it violates ToS. Not surprising she’d ignore the violation and try to make it about what it’s not. Some people have a tendency to do this.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Beyond the guy sounding like an obvious bigot, who would want to associate themselves with someone who sounds like such a whiny child? Doesn’t Candace usually preach against what she calls a “victimhood mentality”?

“I was just complaining about the situation,” Dykes said during a phone interview. “I’m angry that some of my friends own businesses downtown and they’re boarded up. It just makes me angry. I just wish it would stop.”

Dykes also said he considered the text a private communication between managers at Parkside that was never meant for public viewing. As a result, he said, his foot-in-the-mouth moment has been taken out of context and misinterpreted.

“I feel like I’ve been raked over the coals," Dykes said. “It was a heat-of-the-moment thing. I’m very frustrated, because it was way misconstrued. I was just mad. I didn’t get the chance to explain myself. ... I think this has gotten blown way out of control.”

“I’m not a racist. I have many black friends. I have friends from Gambia and other places," Dykes said. “Yes, I made a mistake and called Mr. Floyd a thug. I regret that. I really do regret that. ... I am sorry for what I said. I did not mean disrespect to Mr. Floyd, ever."

Dykes said his cell phone has been “blowing up” with calls and texts because of the controversy, some of them derogatory.

“This is so hurtful,” Dykes said. “I feel like everybody just wants me out of Parkside.”
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And what? “Owens’ GoFundMe campaign, listed under the header “Mob rule has no place in America”

Isn’t the usual conservative line that anti discrimination laws are overreach, and that free market capitalism will put racist or homophobic establishments out of business? But when people decide to boycott a business because of the owner’s sentiments, it’s “mob rule”? How does this work?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dykes considered the text a private communication? How dumb is he to not realize that not everyone believes as he does?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic