The 'Defund the Police' Movement is Growing.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:25 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Whew Jesus. It’s startling to see him hit the ground like that. I hope he is okay and the officer(s) are reprimanded.
Apparently the department issued a statement saying that he "tripped and fell" and was injured. Which is another problem with police. Closing ranks like that. I get they need to be a unit and trust each other and all that, but all that does is protect bad cops. If this wasn't captured on video, nothing would have happened. And nothing might still happen, unless there is a a larger public outcry again. This is why cops feel comfortable kneeling on people for 9 minutes. Or at least did. Because they got away with it.
The cop has been identified according to this Twitter feed.

Good. Sounds like an IA investigation will be happening. Thank god for cell phone videos.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:34 pm "Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1007254/
Not calling the cop for stupid shit doesn’t mean they need to be defunded.
People call the cops for these sorts of things when there’s no one else they know of equipped to handle it efficiently. Why isn’t anyone else equipped to efficiently handle it? They’re not as well funded as the police. It’s a circular problem.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:25 pm

Apparently the department issued a statement saying that he "tripped and fell" and was injured. Which is another problem with police. Closing ranks like that. I get they need to be a unit and trust each other and all that, but all that does is protect bad cops. If this wasn't captured on video, nothing would have happened. And nothing might still happen, unless there is a a larger public outcry again. This is why cops feel comfortable kneeling on people for 9 minutes. Or at least did. Because they got away with it.

Good. Sounds like an IA investigation will be happening. Thank god for cell phone videos.
This video feels like so many of the problems being discussed this week, distilled into a few seconds - the needless violence, followed by the officer who was going to help the man getting pulled back by another.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm Please tell me there are more people in this group that has more sense than this.
Common sense and reality are just words to most of the members on here. They're only good for sponging up the bs the lefties and MSM feeds them.
Let every city that wants to defund the police do so, they can set up block by block groups. Give them walkie talkies as well. Also, since there will be no police, no EMS or Fire Department either, the police protect them as well.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's not just common sense that some are lacking. It's reading comprehension too.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:24 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm

This video feels like so many of the problems being discussed this week, distilled into a few seconds - the needless violence, followed by the officer who was going to help the man getting pulled back by another.
It's not even the only video I've seen of police pushing an old man. Can you think of any other profession that would get away with something like this?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Defunding police services is the stupidest thing (are we still allowed to say the word "stupid") I have heard in a while. If we take away police funding both the U.S. would turn into a nation of warlords.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm Please tell me there are more people in this group that has more sense than this.
I agree that this isn’t a rational. What do you think is a reasonable solution?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I think reallocating funds within the Police department for initiatives that will build a better relationship with the communities they serve (community policing programs), address issues that has them over stressed and more accountability for racial profiling/abuse of power. I think defunding will do more harm than good and police who aren’t racist assholes still needs the resources to do their job.

I commend them for coming up with suggestions, so I’ll disagree with bringing other ideas to the table instead of dwelling on what a bad idea this is.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

five seconds ago you were arguing for the cops to be called to deal with mentally ill people and dog attacks, now those things are “calling the cops for stupid shit”? pick a lane, damn.
BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:34 pm "Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1007254/
Not calling the cop for stupid shit doesn’t mean they need to be defunded.
Locked Previous topicNext topic