The 'Defund the Police' Movement is Growing.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm Please tell me there are more people in this group that has more sense than this.
Common sense and reality are just words to most of the members on here. They're only good for sponging up the bs the lefties and MSM feeds them.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 pm Gosh, I stand corrected. Guns aren't the problem. Cops are just assholes, apparently. Do we have red flag laws for cops? Because we should. (This is graphic, be careful)

Whew Jesus. It’s startling to see him hit the ground like that. I hope he is okay and the officer(s) are reprimanded.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:22 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 pm Gosh, I stand corrected. Guns aren't the problem. Cops are just assholes, apparently. Do we have red flag laws for cops? Because we should. (This is graphic, be careful)

Whew Jesus. It’s startling to see him hit the ground like that. I hope he is okay and the officer(s) are reprimanded.
Apparently the department issued a statement saying that he "tripped and fell" and was injured. Which is another problem with police. Closing ranks like that. I get they need to be a unit and trust each other and all that, but all that does is protect bad cops. If this wasn't captured on video, nothing would have happened. And nothing might still happen, unless there is a a larger public outcry again. This is why cops feel comfortable kneeling on people for 9 minutes. Or at least did. Because they got away with it.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:34 pm "Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1007254/
Not calling the cop for stupid shit doesn’t mean they need to be defunded.
Did you read it?
Read it and examples like calling the cops for a loose dog, call the dog catcher! Yes the police say they get ridiculous calls to deal with. That’s not the cops fault. Idiot people call the cops about stupid shit. I really don’t see how defunding the cops is going to stop that. But hey, let those states try it for awhile. They can be the guinea pigs. The rest of us can sit back and watch. I’m sure there will be plenty of news to watch.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Did you read it?
Read it and examples like calling the cops for a loose dog, call the dog catcher! Yes the police say they get ridiculous calls to deal with. That’s not the cops fault. Idiot people call the cops about stupid shit. I really don’t see how defunding the cops is going to stop that. But hey, let those states try it for awhile. They can be the guinea pigs. The rest of us can sit back and watch. I’m sure there will be plenty of news to watch.
Not necessarily. When NYPD went "on strike", crime actually dropped.

https://www.latimes.com/science/science ... story.html
Each week during the slowdown saw civilians report an estimated 43 fewer felony assaults, 40 fewer burglaries and 40 fewer acts of grand larceny. And this slight suppression of major crime rates actually continued for seven to 14 weeks after those drops in proactive policing — which led the researchers to estimate that overall, the slowdown resulted in about 2,100 fewer major-crimes complaints.

The broken windows theory posits that fighting smaller crimes helps to prevent the larger ones. But in this case, it seems that the opposite may have been true.

“In their efforts to increase civilian compliance, certain policing tactics may inadvertently contribute to serious criminal activity,” the researchers wrote. “The implications for understanding policing in a democratic society should not be understated.”

The findings show that experts may need to reconsider their assumptions about what is and isn’t effective in law enforcement practices, the authors said.

“Our results imply not only that these tactics fail at their stated objective of reducing major legal violations, but also that the initial deployment of proactive policing can inspire additional crimes that later provide justification for further increasing police stops, summonses and so on,” the authors wrote.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Did you read it?

Each week during the slowdown saw civilians report an estimated 43 fewer felony assaults, 40 fewer burglaries and 40 fewer acts of grand larceny. And this slight suppression of major crime rates actually continued for seven to 14 weeks after those drops in proactive policing — which led the researchers to estimate that overall, the slowdown resulted in about 2,100 fewer major-crimes complaints.

The broken windows theory posits that fighting smaller crimes helps to prevent the larger ones. But in this case, it seems that the opposite may have been true.

“In their efforts to increase civilian compliance, certain policing tactics may inadvertently contribute to serious criminal activity,” the researchers wrote. “The implications for understanding policing in a democratic society should not be understated.”

The findings show that experts may need to reconsider their assumptions about what is and isn’t effective in law enforcement practices, the authors said.

“Our results imply not only that these tactics fail at their stated objective of reducing major legal violations, but also that the initial deployment of proactive policing can inspire additional crimes that later provide justification for further increasing police stops, summonses and so on,” the authors wrote.
I only read what you quoted. So are we saying the cops are the reason there are so many felony assaults, burglaries, and grand larceny?
Oh boy!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did you read it?
I'm not talking about the quote I shared. I'm talking about the link I submitted.

Talking about taking guns away from them or getting rid of them altogether is ridiculous and isn't something logical or reasonable in this country.

But, alas, I guess former DP Chief David Brown is no longer an American hero who knows what he's talking about.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 203

Unread post

We still need a police force to assist with specific things, including as first responders during DV incidents, car accidents, crimes committed with guns and other weapons and so on.

Defunding the police is not the way to go about things IMO.

Instead, each city/town needs to reevaluate where else funds normally allotted for their local PDs would be better served in their communities. IOW, share that so-called "wealth," and spread it around the local communities and not just within LE agencies.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:25 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Apparently the department issued a statement saying that he "tripped and fell" and was injured. Which is another problem with police. Closing ranks like that. I get they need to be a unit and trust each other and all that, but all that does is protect bad cops. If this wasn't captured on video, nothing would have happened. And nothing might still happen, unless there is a a larger public outcry again. This is why cops feel comfortable kneeling on people for 9 minutes. Or at least did. Because they got away with it.
The cop has been identified according to this Twitter feed.

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm

I only read what you quoted. So are we saying the cops are the reason there are so many felony assaults, burglaries, and grand larceny?
Oh boy!
Read the article, ffs. It's possible things might have been underreported. But it's an interesting correlation. I was more interested in the idea of less aggressive policing for small-time crimes. That the "broken windows" policing theory is pretty flawed. The article is worth a read, if you are interested in entertaining an idea other than your own.
Locked Previous topicNext topic