The 'Defund the Police' Movement is Growing.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is there a better way to break up a riot than tear gas?
Or should the military be called instead of the police if there is a riot?
moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:01 pm Nobody is trying to get rid of the police altogether. People just don’t think they need to be buying tanks and tear gas.
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:52 pm Rightly so. We've pushed so many societal problems into the police and they are not properly equipped to deal with them. Redirect those resources to social workers, non profits, organizers, etc. We militarize the police and then make them respond to everything, and, well, when your only tool is a hammer...
What are Americans going to do when a child gets kidnapped?

Alert all police, surround the area as quick as possible and block as many roadways as possible , and send out amber alerts to all citizens until the child is found...

Or call a social worker and hope they can find the child?

What should Americans do when a hostage situation occurs? Call the police and SWAT team with negotiator thereby giving the hostages the best chance for survival by setting up a proactive and defensive effort,

Or call just the negotiator alone and hope words are enough?

What should Americans do if their car is stolen and they have a ring doorbell that caught it on tape?

Give it to the police so they can retrieve his car and charge the thief? Or go get their brothers and a few friends to get it back with chains and bats in their hands?

The police are needed because without them, people handle the problem themselves. And everyone has a different on how far street justice should go.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:33 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 am
BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm Please tell me there are more people in this group that has more sense than this.
I agree that this isn’t a rational. What do you think is a reasonable solution?
Stiffer consequences and complaints not swept under the run. Better investigations into complaints on cops. Termination when called for, like that cop that pushed the elderly guy he should be fired and charged with assault.
More training on how to calm a situation down and proper responses under high stress situations. I’ll use the example of the elderly guy again, I think the push was due to stress and it was the wrong reaction. We teach our children that actions have consequences no matter the reason and that should apply to police.
And thanks for answering.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd be curious to hear the responses to this initiative:

https://8cantwait.org/
The eight policies include banning chokeholds and strangleholds, banning shooting at moving vehicles, exhausting all alternatives before shooting, requiring that all use of force be reported, requiring a warning before shooting, requiring officers to stop another officer from using excessive force, and limiting the types of force and/or weapons that can be used to respond to specific types of resistance.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... e-1010013/
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

All 57 officers on the Buffalo riot response team resigned because their colleague who assaulted an elderly man was suspended without pay. This is after the police force lied and said the man tripped. If this doesn’t point to a systemic issue, what does? The “bad apple” has received the most minimal consequences possible as of now, and this is how the rest of the supposed good apples are responding?

https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/05/57-m ... alo%20News
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Police are supposed to protect EVERYONE. Not protect some and kill others.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

In the last couple of decades, municipalities have increased police funding by 140% but higher education has only been increased by 6%. What would happen if a significant portion of that funding went into public schools, after school programs, head start, college programs, social services, food needy services, housing services, etc. rather than purely policing. IMO, this should be looked at community-by-community but I'm totally for reassigning monies when deemed appropriate.

A large portion of LE funds goes to settling police abuse cases. This should be transparent and taken out of police funds rather than taxpayer funds. How easy is it for police members to transgress when the payout for transgression is paid by taxpayers?

I don't want to see the police completely defunded but the uber funding of police needs to stop:

"A snapshot of some of city budget debates that have escalated this week:

Los Angeles: the police budget is $1.8bn, and the mayor has for weeks been pushing for raises and bonuses for officers and an overall 7% increase that would make the budget more than half of the general fund. But on Wednesday, he said he was now looking to make cuts to the police budget.

New York: The mayor is pushing to leave the NYPD’s nearly $6bn budget intact while slashing education and youth programs and cutting other agencies by as much as 80%.

Philadelphia: The mayor has proposed spending $977m on police and prisons, which is 20% of the general fund. A $14m increase for police comes as the city is cutting funding for youth violence prevention, arts and culture, workforce development, and laying off staff at recreation centers and libraries."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... yd-budgets

Seriously!? Taxpayer monies could and should be spent wiser, especially when it comes to offering support to our local communities.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:24 pm Seriously? A dog bite is not stupid shit. Dog attacks are a matter of the law. A mentally ill person destroying a store or threatening people, etc. IS a matter of the law and not stupid shit! You seriously have no common sense do you?!
Stupid shit would be a loose dog, kids ringing the door bell and running off. Someone threw trash in your yard, a kid called your kid names, etc.
I can’t believe I had to spell that out for you! 🙄
moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 am five seconds ago you were arguing for the cops to be called to deal with mentally ill people and dog attacks, now those things are “calling the cops for stupid shit”? pick a lane, damn.
BionicBunny wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm

Not calling the cop for stupid shit doesn’t mean they need to be defunded.
I can believe it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm Is there a better way to break up a riot than tear gas?
Or should the military be called instead of the police if there is a riot?
moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:01 pm Nobody is trying to get rid of the police altogether. People just don’t think they need to be buying tanks and tear gas.
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm

What are Americans going to do when a child gets kidnapped?

Alert all police, surround the area as quick as possible and block as many roadways as possible , and send out amber alerts to all citizens until the child is found...

Or call a social worker and hope they can find the child?

What should Americans do when a hostage situation occurs? Call the police and SWAT team with negotiator thereby giving the hostages the best chance for survival by setting up a proactive and defensive effort,

Or call just the negotiator alone and hope words are enough?

What should Americans do if their car is stolen and they have a ring doorbell that caught it on tape?

Give it to the police so they can retrieve his car and charge the thief? Or go get their brothers and a few friends to get it back with chains and bats in their hands?

The police are needed because without them, people handle the problem themselves. And everyone has a different on how far street justice should go.
I believe that tear gas has been banned for wartime use so use by our military on US soil may be problematic. Or maybe not? I guess it depends on the current DOJ?
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:58 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:33 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 am

I agree that this isn’t a rational. What do you think is a reasonable solution?
Stiffer consequences and complaints not swept under the run. Better investigations into complaints on cops. Termination when called for, like that cop that pushed the elderly guy he should be fired and charged with assault.
More training on how to calm a situation down and proper responses under high stress situations. I’ll use the example of the elderly guy again, I think the push was due to stress and it was the wrong reaction. We teach our children that actions have consequences no matter the reason and that should apply to police.
I agree and we need more positive solutions too. From
my experience, a part of the problem is police are serving communities they don’t take the time or have the opportunity to get to know, so both sides only interact when there are problems. There are police out there like Officer Norman who are involved in the communities but they aren’t given the resources to train other officers on community policing and it’s grossly overlooked as far as a solution.

But all of these initiatives will take funding, so we have to be more reasonable about that and think more out of the box IMO.
First you need cities like Chicago to put cops back out on the beat. You can't get to know the people in the neighborhoods or them you when you ride around all day two cops to a car. I'll bet there are a lot of cities that do that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic