What we know now

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:50 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:43 pm

If he is 89 in 2020 he was born in 1931 which would make him 9 or 10 in when the war began, but Dachau opened in 1933.

There is no specific date on when Jewish people first began arriving to concentration camps for torture, we had to discover what they were being used for.

Stories like that are not uncommon, you do what you need to do to survive, and as a child going through it, you don’t have time to stop and think about how you truly feel about it until a decade later sometimes.
The interview mentioned in her link:

"In 1998, 60 Minutes profiled the man whose stock-market manipulations were making news. CBS interviewer Steve Kroft asked him about his wartime experiences:

KROFT: You watched lots of people get shipped off to the death camps.

SOROS: Right. I was 14 years old. And I would say that that’s when my character was made.

KROFT: In what way?

SOROS: That one should think ahead. One should understand and—and anticipate events and when—when one is threatened. It was a tremendous threat of evil. I mean, it was a—a very personal experience of evil. . . .

KROFT: I mean, that’s—that sounds like an experience that would send lots of people to the psychiatric couch for many, many years. Was it difficult?

SOROS: Not—not at all. Not at all. Maybe as a child you don’t—you don’t see the connection. But it was—it created no—no problem at all.

KROFT: No feeling of guilt?

SOROS: No.

KROFT: For example that, “I’m Jewish and here I am, watching these people go. I could just as easily be there. I should be there.” None of that?

SOROS: Well, of course I c— I could be on the other side or I could be the one from whom the thing is being taken away. But there was no sense that I shouldn’t be there, because that was—well, actually, in a funny way, it’s just like in markets—that if I weren’t there—of course, I wasn’t doing it, but somebody else would—would—would be taking it away anyhow. And it was the—whether I was there or not, I was only a spectator, the property was being taken away. So the—I had no role in taking away that property. So I had no sense of guilt."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/conno ... 14954.html
There are those who will look at that interview and understand the nuances of a teen Jew living in Nazi Germany and that how one navigated it was not so clear cut. There are others who are going to view with a "black/white" view. It's virtually impossible to convince those of opposing views that their view is the correct one.

Soros is destined to be the enemy of some, the hero to others, and inconsequential to most. That is his legacy, like it or leave it. Frankly, I don't think he gives a damn.
Seriously. He was a child who had no responsibility for the Holocaust as a whole, no responsibility for the fact that the Hungarian government collaborated with the Nazis and no responsibility for the fact that he’s alive while others aren’t. I can’t imagine thinking that a then-young teenager should be torturing himself 70 years later about tragic circumstances he had absolutely no control over.

I doubt he cares. I’d think it was funny if it wasn’t the embodiment of an anti-Semitic puppet master trope.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

:o Oh? Did one of you share your thoughts about the police brutality against peaceful protestors/journalists/medical workers/random civilians who just happen to live in the area? I must have missed it, would you mind pointing it out? TIA!
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:17 pm
moviestar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm I wasn’t pissed. She, and you, did exactly what I expected. I just wasn’t going to play into her (or your) deflection.
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:47 am

Maybe you should make an app't with a neurologist. You obviously having trouble connecting the dots when people post things. You just spent 2 or 3 comments getting pissed at Carpy because you claim she didn't answer you or whatever. Maybe if your posts made more sense, you get better replies from people. You can't make people say what you want them to say.
Neither one of us was deflecting.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 pm :o Oh? Did one of you share your thoughts about the police brutality against peaceful protestors/journalists/medical workers/random civilians who just happen to live in the area? I must have missed it, would you mind pointing it out? TIA!
moviestar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm I wasn’t pissed. She, and you, did exactly what I expected. I just wasn’t going to play into her (or your) deflection.
I'm not interested in playing your game. Find someone else to annoy the crap out of.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

What game? You’ve made like ten comments in my thread about police brutality during peaceful protests, and not a single one of them has been on topic, yet you insist you aren’t deflecting. Do you have anything to say about the topic of the post or do you just want to deflect some more?
Mommamia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 pm
moviestar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 pm :o Oh? Did one of you share your thoughts about the police brutality against peaceful protestors/journalists/medical workers/random civilians who just happen to live in the area? I must have missed it, would you mind pointing it out? TIA!

I'm not interested in playing your game. Find someone else to annoy the crap out of.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 pm Russia and China sure wanted exactly this to happen.
What do you mean?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:12 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm If they're watching Fox News, the protesters are being portrayed as looters and thugs destroying communities. The narrative is spun for them to blame the protesters, knowing full well that their target audience is ready to believe it.

moviestar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 am There is now a pile of photo & video evidence supporting on-the-ground reports of outside agitators either inciting violence or committing it and trying to pin it on protesters. Evidence of protestors actually stopping would-be rioters and handing them over to police (in some cases getting pepper sprayed or arrested for their troubles). Evidence of protestors protectively surrounding police separated from their teams to make sure they are safe. Evidence of police firing rubber bullets directly at peaceful protestors (they are meant to be fired at the ground to slow velocity), journalists, and random passerby, causing often serious injuries. Evidence of police firing tear gas and pepper spray into peaceful crowds, unprovoked (or in one case so president bunker baby could have a photo op in front of a church where he was not welcome). Macing and violently beating people whose hands are up or who are already in custody. Targeting medical tents and workers, injuring them and/or destroying their supplies. Journalists being arrested.

And a deafening silence from the “they should protest peacefully!” crowd.

So... uh... what’s up with that?
The "looters and thugs" are being portrayed as such and are drowning out the legit protesters. Basically the whole country is appalled by the killing of George Floyd. Sadly, the message has been drowned out by the utter chaos.
To me it's only drowned out if you're (general) not listening.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:05 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 pm Russia and China sure wanted exactly this to happen.
What do you mean?
These riots work out very well for China right now when considering the pressure the US is putting on them over Hong Kong and increasing what is causing riots there.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19257 ... sions-rise

This also works out very well for Russia who has been trying to sow discord into the months that lead up to your elections .

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/p ... -race.html
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 am What game? You’ve made like ten comments in my thread about police brutality during peaceful protests, and not a single one of them has been on topic, yet you insist you aren’t deflecting. Do you have anything to say about the topic of the post or do you just want to deflect some more?
I'm not getting on your lunatic merry-go-round. You have the worse comprehension problem of anyone on here.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:13 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:05 pm
What do you mean?
These riots work out very well for China right now when considering the pressure the US is putting on them over Hong Kong and increasing what is causing riots there.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19257 ... sions-rise

This also works out very well for Russia who has been trying to sow discord into the months that lead up to your elections .

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/p ... -race.html
Exactly.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Deflect it is
Mommamia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:59 pm
moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 am What game? You’ve made like ten comments in my thread about police brutality during peaceful protests, and not a single one of them has been on topic, yet you insist you aren’t deflecting. Do you have anything to say about the topic of the post or do you just want to deflect some more?

I'm not getting on your lunatic merry-go-round. You have the worse comprehension problem of anyone on here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic