Will Protests Spark a 2nd Viral Wave?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mass protests against police brutality that have brought thousands of people out of their homes and onto the streets in cities across America are raising the specter of new coronavirus outbreaks, prompting political leaders, physicians and public health experts to warn that the crowds could cause a surge in cases.

While many political leaders affirmed the right of protesters to express themselves, they urged the demonstrators to wear face masks and maintain social distancing, both to protect themselves and to prevent further community spread of the virus.

More than 100,000 Americans have died of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. People of color have been particularly hard hit, with rates of hospitalizations and deaths among black Americans far exceeding those of whites.
https://news.yahoo.com/protests-spark-2 ... 49202.html
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

IDK but if we do...I already know everybody is gonna fight over who started like everything else. Lol

The right will say it’s the police brutality protesters, the left will say it was the SIP protesters. They’ll call each other hypocrites when neither group was fully compliant.

But I hope it doesn’t happen.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm IDK but I’d we do...I already know everybody is gonna fight over who started like everything else. Lol

The right will say it’s the police brutality protesters, the left will say it was the SIP protesters. They’ll call each other hypocrites when neither group was fully compliant.

LOL You are so right.

I live near NYC and we just got the numbers down. Over 90 days of stay at home. NYC is suppose to open phase 1 on June 8th. Hopefully in 14 days they don't see another spike.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes another spike is coming. It was already coming due to the early opening of states before they met the benchmarks. The current protests will make it worse, though many of them do wear masks. The use of tear gas forces people to take the mask off, and damages the lungs making infection and serious complications more likely.
Deleted User 1577

Unread post

I hope not. But. I guess we now know how well Americans handle quarantine.....
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm IDK but I’d we do...I already know everybody is gonna fight over who started like everything else. Lol

LOL You are so right.

I live near NYC and we just got the numbers down. Over 90 days of stay at home. NYC is suppose to open phase 1 on June 8th. Hopefully in 14 days they don't see another spike.
I know, I can hear the bitching now. 😂

I was thinking about y’all when I saw the riots up there and pray that NY doesn’t get another wave. I’m scared of getting covid so I cringe when I see everyone so smushed together like that.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

They've been predicting a second and even a third wave of Covid before the end of this year and with all of the easing up on SAH orders alone, I do have a hunch that we'll see that second wave by July or August (possibly earlier).

Tack on these protests (and even the riots) with people in very close proximity first on the streets and elsewhere and if arrested, sitting in a police van or some sort of transportation with others, and it's close to a guarantee that we're going to see some spikes once again. :/

I really, really hope not.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah, probably. This is the next step in the cycle. We're protesting about police brutality, and it will trigger the second wave. Which triggers lockdowns again, which triggers protests about our freedoms being taken, which will inevitably spin into looting and burning, which will trigger that one incident that hurts someone, that triggers protests about that person's life..... watch.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Undoubtedly. But I'm not mad. It was going to happen anyway...people were asked to change their routines too much for too long. It was necessary to ask, but it was never going to last a whole lot longer anyway. It's a big deal to expect these drastic changes to the status quo under conditions where people aren't actively seeing an imminent threat.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Locked Previous topicNext topic