Over dramatic politician wants protesting with guns illegal

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:41 pm
AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:17 am

There is a bill advancing in Virginia legislature that will give localities the power to prohibit firearms from public spaces. Alexandria City Manager has indicated that if that bill passes, there will be a ban on guns on Alexandria City Property including the park in front of Levine's house.
He was on a public road

Public roads are generally not owned by the city but the state unless it’s a county road and the city takes responsibility for maintenance

A lot of cities have gun free zones on city property

Those areas are owned by the city and open to the public so if they want to ban guns whatever that’s their right

If you want to start banning open carry except in certain instances like Florida or ban open carry altogether that’s some bullshit IMO

If he had a concealed carry permit and had a gun on him during a protest is that better or worse? I know people who do that

At least he wasn’t hiding shit 🤷‍♀️
What do you mean except in certain instances like Florida?
You can’t open carry in Florida unless you are actively hunting or fishing
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:04 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:17 am

There is a bill advancing in Virginia legislature that will give localities the power to prohibit firearms from public spaces. Alexandria City Manager has indicated that if that bill passes, there will be a ban on guns on Alexandria City Property including the park in front of Levine's house.
He was on a public road

Public roads are generally not owned by the city but the state unless it’s a county road and the city takes responsibility for maintenance

Those areas are owned by the city and open to the public so if they want to ban guns whatever that’s their right

If you want to start banning open carry except in certain instances like Florida or ban open carry altogether that’s some bullshit IMO

If he had a concealed carry permit and had a gun on him during a protest is that better or worse? I know people who do that

The roads and sidewalks in Alexandria are owned and maintained by the city of Alexandria.

IMO, if you bring weapons to a protest, it's no longer anticipating a peaceful protest. Obviously that is just opinion and not law. But let me ask you, if someone on FB gave out your address, made veiled threats and called for a protest regarding your lawn art, would you be okay with them arriving at your house with a couple of friends, fully armed?

I believe that these protestors, insisting on being armed, are actually going to turn public support towards stricter gun laws rather than away. I've seen that in my small, rural, conservative community.
Did I suddenly acquire the ability to make laws?

Like I said a few times

He can be scared he can call the cops but a politician threatening new laws because of an emotional personal situation is wrong

The guy DID NOTHING WRONG he protested in a way anti gun snowflakes didn’t like

The city of Alexandria does not own and maintain all of their roads most are owned and maintained by VDOT

Virginia department of transportation
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:33 pm

He was on a public road

The roads and sidewalks in Alexandria are owned and maintained by the city of Alexandria.

IMO, if you bring weapons to a protest, it's no longer anticipating a peaceful protest. Obviously that is just opinion and not law. But let me ask you, if someone on FB gave out your address, made veiled threats and called for a protest regarding your lawn art, would you be okay with them arriving at your house with a couple of friends, fully armed?

I believe that these protestors, insisting on being armed, are actually going to turn public support towards stricter gun laws rather than away. I've seen that in my small, rural, conservative community.

Like I said a few times

He can be scared he can call the cops but a politician threatening new laws because of an emotional personal situation is wrong

The city of Alexandria does not own and maintain all of their roads most are owned and maintained by VDOT

"Henrico County (1,279 miles) and Arlington County (359 miles) maintain their own roads with VDOT funds."

https://www.virginiadot.org/about/vdot_hgwy_sys.asp
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Like I said a few times

"Henrico County (1,279 miles) and Arlington County (359 miles) maintain their own roads with VDOT funds."

Like I said they don’t own most of the roads in Alexandria besides a few county roads
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:27 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:41 pm

He was on a public road

What do you mean except in certain instances like Florida?
You can’t open carry in Florida unless you are actively hunting or fishing
Oh, yeah, plus at gun ranges or places that are not specifically listed as off limits. We don't need open carry here.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Like I said a few times

Like I said they don’t own most of the roads in Alexandria besides a few county roads
Which roads in Alexandria are "county roads"? Which roads in Richmond (Henrico County) are "county roads"?

ETA: These are the Virginia State roads in Arlington County. If you want to stand on these roads with your long guns and protest, go for it:

Interstate 66: Custis Memorial Parkway
Interstate 395: Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway
U.S. Route 1: Richmond Highway
State Route 27: Washington Boulevard (Memorial Bridge to U.S. Route 50)
U.S. Route 29: Lee Highway
U.S. Route 50: Arlington Boulevard
State Route 110: Richmond Highway (Rosslyn to Crystal City)
State Route 120: Glebe Road
State Route 123: Chain Bridge Road
State Route 124: Spout Run Parkway (Lee Highway to Lorcom Lane)
State Route 233: Airport Viaduct
State Route 237: Washington Boulevard (North Glebe Road to Lee Highway)
State Route 309: Old Dominion Drive
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Which roads in Alexandria are "county roads"? Which roads in Richmond (Henrico County) are "county roads"?

ETA: These are the Virginia State roads in Arlington County. If you want to stand on these roads with your long guns and protest, go for it:

This is the dumbest argument

The state owns the roads and the city is responsible for light maintenance the state is responsible for repavement

The city took partial ownership but they don’t outright own the roads

County roads are the city owned roads within the urban city of Alexandria that they claim as their own but receive funding for

The delegate lives in the suburbs where the state owns the majority of the roads

If you want to keep at it fine but you’re arguing semantics plus that law that you mentioned hasn’t even passed yet so it’s a moot point

The dude did nothing wrong and the snap decision to create laws because of emotions is dumb
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 pm

The state owns the roads and the city is responsible for light maintenance the state is responsible for repavement

County roads are the city owned roads within the urban city of Alexandria that they claim as their own but receive funding for

The delegate lives in the suburbs where the state owns the majority of the roads

If you want to keep at it fine but you’re arguing semantics plus that law that you mentioned hasn’t even passed yet so it’s a moot point

The dude did nothing wrong and the snap decision to create laws because of emotions is dumb
You're right, it is a dumb argument. I am a little vested because I manage a local farmers market in a tourist town and we are concerned about open carry and looking into what laws that can protect the market from these kinds of protestors.

What prompted my concern was open carry protestors at a farmers market in Alexandria. It was the subject of a FM manager conference in Virginia last November which I attended. Protests like this can kill a local event that is populated by tourists because, contrary to popular belief, most people are uncomfortable with ammo-sexuals walking among them. You are lying if you say it's not meant to intimidate because obviously that is why they do it. And you want to know who the asshole that led the open carry group at the Alexandria's Farmers Market was? It was Brandon Howard from Hopewell. Someone who decided that it was necessary to travel over 130 miles to protest at a farmers market. Seriously!

Given the legal right, these municipalities in Virginia are going to shut down their streets, sidewalks, parks, and other public spaces to open carry. This is going to be the outcome because the Brandons of the state have decided to intimidate, threaten, and sport their manhood on their shoulders while walking through neighborhoods that are not even theirs.
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:39 pm

You're right, it is a dumb argument. I am a little vested because I manage a local farmers market in a tourist town and we are concerned about open carry and looking into what laws that can protect the market from these kinds of protestors.

What prompted my concern was open carry protestors at a farmers market in Alexandria. It was the subject of a FM manager conference in Virginia last November which I attended. Protests like this can kill a local event that is populated by tourists because, contrary to popular belief, most people are uncomfortable with ammo-sexuals walking among them. You are lying if you say it's not meant to intimidate because obviously that is why they do it. And you want to know who the asshole that led the open carry group at the Alexandria's Farmers Market was? It was Brandon Howard from Hopewell. Someone who decided that it was necessary to travel over 130 miles to protest at a farmers market. Seriously!

Given the legal right, these municipalities in Virginia are going to shut down their streets, sidewalks, parks, and other public spaces to open carry. This is going to be the outcome because the Brandons of the state have decided to intimidate, threaten, and sport their manhood on their shoulders while walking through neighborhoods that are not even theirs.
Cool story

Has nothing to do with what I’ve said all along

No politician should be making threats of outlawing shit because of an emotional response

Are you only worried about open carry? It’s the guns you don’t see that you’d think would be more concerning 🤷‍♀️

If you don’t think farmers markets are already full of guns both open and concealed especially in Virginia you are incredibly naive
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:49 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Cool story

Has nothing to do with what I’ve said all along

No politician should be making threats of outlawing shit because of an emotional response

Are you only worried about open carry? It’s the guns you don’t see that you’d think would be more concerning 🤷‍♀️

If you don’t think farmers markets are already full of guns both open and concealed especially in Virginia you are incredibly naive
Several of my vendors conceal carry and I have no problem with it. I know that they have gone through the process to get their CC license. I actually ask (vendors are not required to answer) who is CC as we have active shooter training (short 60 minute) for our vendors who want it and knowing who is carrying is important. I have never, so far, seen someone open carry at our market. And I have never seen this:

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/open-carry- ... rs-outrage

Yes, people can open carry but should they? I'm just saying that I believe that by their display, they are going to see more restrictions rather than less. Again, that discussion is happening in our conservative county. People are all for open carry here unless it starts to affect their businesses.
Locked Previous topicNext topic