Over dramatic politician wants protesting with guns illegal

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:19 pm I'm a gun owner who strongly supports the Second Amendment. There's no valid reason for open carry at a protest.
That depends. Was it a protest against the dismantling of our Constitutional rights? Then there's EVERY reason for it.
Why in the hell would you need to be armed? Are you expecting to need to shoot someone?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 203

Unread post

I don't see the need for any gun rights advocate and supporter to show up at a protest and/or rally armed. Is their voice not enough?

I am all for gun ownership rights though I would like to see some changes to how citizens are licensed and the wait times longer.

But IMO, they just look silly showing up at these rallies and protests geared up to do what....go to war? Go hunting?
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:19 pm I'm a gun owner who strongly supports the Second Amendment. There's no valid reason for open carry at a protest.
That depends. Was it a protest against the dismantling of our Constitutional rights? Then there's EVERY reason for it.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're advocating violent protest.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm
The fact is he wasn’t doing anything wrong

It was a peaceful protest about guns and that’s how he chose to protest
True, he wasn't. But you have you admit in the situation it adds a menacing quality, to see someone all strapped up protesting. Bringing a firearm doesn't typically connotate peace.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 am

True, he wasn't. But you have you admit in the situation it adds a menacing quality, to see someone all strapped up protesting. Bringing a firearm doesn't typically connotate peace.
The delegate can be pissed about it even scared and call the cops to feel safe

But the threats to make things illegal is what gets me

I’m all about constitutional rights so it bothers me when a politician makes a snap decision about the law
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 am

I’m all about constitutional rights so it bothers me when a politician makes a snap decision about the law
There is a bill advancing in Virginia legislature that will give localities the power to prohibit firearms from public spaces. Alexandria City Manager has indicated that if that bill passes, there will be a ban on guns on Alexandria City Property including the park in front of Levine's house.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Agree. He's probably just running his mouth because he's freaked out.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:17 am

There is a bill advancing in Virginia legislature that will give localities the power to prohibit firearms from public spaces. Alexandria City Manager has indicated that if that bill passes, there will be a ban on guns on Alexandria City Property including the park in front of Levine's house.
He was on a public road

Public roads are generally not owned by the city but the state unless it’s a county road and the city takes responsibility for maintenance

A lot of cities have gun free zones on city property

Those areas are owned by the city and open to the public so if they want to ban guns whatever that’s their right

If you want to start banning open carry except in certain instances like Florida or ban open carry altogether that’s some bullshit IMO

If he had a concealed carry permit and had a gun on him during a protest is that better or worse? I know people who do that

At least he wasn’t hiding shit 🤷‍♀️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 pm

He was on a public road

Public roads are generally not owned by the city but the state unless it’s a county road and the city takes responsibility for maintenance

Those areas are owned by the city and open to the public so if they want to ban guns whatever that’s their right

If you want to start banning open carry except in certain instances like Florida or ban open carry altogether that’s some bullshit IMO

If he had a concealed carry permit and had a gun on him during a protest is that better or worse? I know people who do that

What do you mean except in certain instances like Florida?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AuntFlo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:08 pm

He was on a public road

The roads and sidewalks in Alexandria are owned and maintained by the city of Alexandria.

IMO, if you bring weapons to a protest, it's no longer anticipating a peaceful protest. Obviously that is just opinion and not law. But let me ask you, if someone on FB gave out your address, made veiled threats and called for a protest regarding your lawn art, would you be okay with them arriving at your house with a couple of friends, fully armed?

I believe that these protestors, insisting on being armed, are actually going to turn public support towards stricter gun laws rather than away. I've seen that in my small, rural, conservative community.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic