US intelligence warned House members Russia is working to get Trump re-elected – reports

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:07 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Block all Russian IP addresses? You're kidding right?

Russia and far right groups have been putting out conspiracy theories and untruths and propaganda into our elections, European countries and possibly the EU. Radical left doesn't belong in this topic.

The first thing that can be done is acknowledge it's happening and educate people on what to look for in terms of legitimate news vs fake news coming from questionable sources. That can't be done because Trump fired the messenger and is telling his base that it's misinformation. He's lying.
That "education" has been discussed and publicised since 2016. That's when this first started becoming a topic. Trump firing someone yesterday is immaterial. You now have Facebook deciding what's fact and what isn't. This is all a slippery slope leading to censorship.

It's not FB deciding what's fact and what isn't. It's American intelligence agencies. The professionals who have made a career of protecting our country say Russia is a real threat to our democracy. Trump and his supporters can deny it all they want. Their denials won't change the truth.
Agreed - but my question is what can be done about it? How do we combat it. I hope people are intelligent enough to make their own decisions and not let social media dictate how to think. How do we stop the influence without censorship? Insuring that both sides can express views?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 670

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm
iamanon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Bernie has told Russia to stay out of our elections. Even if he hadn't, it wouldn't excuse Trump's reaction. Trump has shown he doesn't love our country. Our nation deserves better.
President Trump is more pro America than any democrat running for office. President Trump loves the USA.
It is extremely difficult to see any love of this country in any one on the debate stage earlier this week.
You can't be F***ing serious.
Sadly, she is. She's drunk the kool-aid.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:45 pm

That "education" has been discussed and publicised since 2016. That's when this first started becoming a topic. Trump firing someone yesterday is immaterial. You now have Facebook deciding what's fact and what isn't. This is all a slippery slope leading to censorship.

It's not FB deciding what's fact and what isn't. It's American intelligence agencies. The professionals who have made a career of protecting our country say Russia is a real threat to our democracy. Trump and his supporters can deny it all they want. Their denials won't change the truth.
Agreed - but my question is what can be done about it? How do we combat it. I hope people are intelligent enough to make their own decisions and not let social media dictate how to think. How do we stop the influence without censorship? Insuring that both sides can express views?

It's not censorship to thwart a hostile nations attempt to throw an American election. It's a valid self-defense. No nation should be able to use our own Bill of Rights to attack us. That means the government should have the authority to force social media to shut down sites using misinformation.

Voters have the responsibility to accept news from valid sources whether they like what they hear or not. That means no longer accepting as fact the crap that so conspiracy websites are putting on the internet. It means no longer reposting altered news clips no matter how much they dislike a politician.

It also means that people need to stop defending and rationalizing bad behavior from Trump and his minions. Unfortunately, I don't think most his followers have the moral backbone to do that.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Probably the first step would be admitting that Russia is using social media in order to sway a US election?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am So if Russia is trying to interfere and they are trying to steer people into voting in Sanders, what EXACTLY can be done about it? The claims have been they're exerting influence on social media, setting up bots, making false posts.

What EXACTLY can the US do about it? Block all Russian IP addresses? What about those operating from within our country? We're going to have the corporations deciding what's really Russian influence and what's not? This censorship is what's happening now to those that don't toe the radical left line and spout the approved rhetoric. There are independent and conservative channels and pages being banned, shadow blocked, and taken out of search results constantly. That's censorship. That's controlling information that we're able to obtain. That's living in communist China.

Russia and far right groups have been putting out conspiracy theories and untruths and propaganda into our elections, European countries and possibly the EU. Radical left doesn't belong in this topic.

The first thing that can be done is acknowledge it's happening and educate people on what to look for in terms of legitimate news vs fake news coming from questionable sources. That can't be done because Trump fired the messenger and is telling his base that it's misinformation. He's lying.
Facebook, or any other social media, doesn't need to decide anything. People could actually check before they click. It's quite easy for anyone who isn't looking to have their beliefs confirmed.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 am

Facebook, or any other social media, doesn't need to decide anything. People could actually check before they click. It's quite easy for anyone who isn't looking to have their beliefs confirmed.
I couldn't agree more. I don't need some third party dictating to me what's real and what's not, what I'm to think or not think. I'm perfectly capable of using my own powers of discernment.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 am

I couldn't agree more. I don't need some third party dictating to me what's real and what's not, what I'm to think or not think. I'm perfectly capable of using my own powers of discernment.
But the average person doesn't do that, and politicians know it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s not just social media.

They hack our computers to get voter information and then they target specific voters. They stole hundreds of thousands of personal voter information during the 2016 election. They were able to get into some states computers where they were in a position to delete and change votes. There was no evidence they did it but if noting was done about it they might advance their attacks this time.

Now Trump is claiming the Russians are interfering but only trying to help Bernie not him. So he’s picking and choosing what intelligence information to use according to how it affects him. And people can vote for that?
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:12 am
Valentina327 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 am

But the average person doesn't do that, and politicians know it.
You're absolutely right. Which is what makes this all so frightening.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

But they don't, especially when the misinformation is confirmed as "true" from the administration. Interesting article the other day in The Guardian about bots, social media, and climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... s-analysis
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic