Hate alive and well in our young military

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:47 pm
Mommabearof2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm The circle game? Looks like someone gonna get punched in the arm.
So ignorant. There's no way these young people haven't been taught what this sign is being used for. Let the excuses begin.

Signs mean different things in different regions. I'm not going to jump to the conclusion the young man is a racist without more information.
They might just be plain stupid, not racist, who knows. But to claim it's the OK sign game is making excuses. the OK sign game is when you do the sign below the waist and see if someone looks. That's not what they did. Also, it's common knowledge that white supremacist groups have taken the sign to mean White Power.

At a Proud Boys rally:

Unite the Right rally

White BOys again

Another formerly innocent gesture taken by extremists. There are thousands of pictures of people giving the OK sign or even maybe playing that childish game. But nobody can actually claim that in these pictures. Or with those cadets.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:21 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:50 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:42 pm
I graduated high school in 2005. This was the circle game.
The circle game is a dumb game you play with your friends. It's not a sign that you publicly flash when your on TV. That doesn't even make sense.
We had kids do them during class pictures. They thought it was hilarious. It wasn’t but still.
Or the White Power signs went right over their parents heads or maybe they learned it at home, do you really know?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommabearof2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm The circle game? Looks like someone gonna get punched in the arm.
So ignorant. There's no way these young people haven't been taught what this sign is being used for. Let the excuses begin.
That was a long time ago. Since then white supremacist groups have taken over the OK sign. Plus in the game you're supposed to give the sign below your waist. They were flashing it way above their waists.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Signs mean different things in different regions. I'm not going to jump to the conclusion the young man is a racist without more information.
They might just be plain stupid, not racist, who knows. But to claim it's the OK sign game is making excuses. the OK sign game is when you do the sign below the waist and see if someone looks. That's not what they did. Also, it's common knowledge that white supremacist groups have taken the sign to mean White Power.

At a Proud Boys rally:

Unite the Right rally

White BOys again

Another formerly innocent gesture taken by extremists. There are thousands of pictures of people giving the OK sign or even maybe playing that childish game. But nobody can actually claim that in these pictures. Or with those cadets.

It's not common knowledge to many people. Most people don't even think about racist hand gestures. Things like that aren't part of their lives. That"s a good thing.

You do realize the game probably isn't played the same everywhere, right? Let's wait to decide about this young man until we have more information.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:41 pm

At a Proud Boys rally:

Unite the Right rally

White BOys again

It's not common knowledge to many people. Most people don't even think about racist hand gestures. Things like that aren't part of their lives. That"s a good thing.

You do realize the game probably isn't played the same everywhere, right? Let's wait to decide about this young man until we have more information.
People who don't know anything about the sign wouldn't be using it. They were not playing a game, they aren't 12. Proud Boys are popular among their age group and it's naive for some to think they didn't understand what it meant. For others, it's in their best interest to pretend it's all innocent.

We don't have to decide anything on these men, and there were at least two of them flashing the sign. We won't make a difference in their lives so we can give any opinion we want. The people involved in deciding what to do will be very careful, I'm sure.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:50 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:41 pm

At a Proud Boys rally:

Unite the Right rally

White BOys again

People who don't know anything about the sign wouldn't be using it. They were not playing a game, they aren't 12. Proud Boys are popular among their age group and it's naive for some to think they didn't understand what it meant. For others, it's in their best interest to pretend it's all innocent.

We don't have to decide anything on these men, and there were at least two of them flashing the sign. We won't make a difference in their lives so we can give any opinion we want. The people involved in deciding what to do will be very careful, I'm sure.

We'll have to agree to disagree about judging him before we have all the information.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:34 pm

That was a long time ago. Since then white supremacist groups have taken over the OK sign. Plus in the game you're supposed to give the sign below your waist. They were flashing it way above their waists.
I thought the white power was only if your fingers are up and making a W. These boys fingers are to the side. I work with teens they still do the game. They do it above the waist so it’s in a picture and when their friend notices they punch them.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Is this the West Point academy story? We just saw that on ABC Nightly News a bit ago.

West Point is said to be investigating, which is important and a good thing, versus dismissing it.

I'd like to know the reason for that sign during THAT photo and what will be said before assuming to know WHAT they meant, despite the sign being used by many white supremacists.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The reporter (guy in a suit and tie) hand looks really strange in the top picture compared to holding papers in the lower picture. It makes me wonder if there was some photoshop going on.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That is also the sign for the letter F in ASL.. just an interesting tidbit for you. I would see it and think the letter F these days since my girls take ASL and I'm around quite a few deaf folks often.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic