Cyberbullying crusader Melania Trump silent on her husband's mocking of 16-year-old Thunberg

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:50 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:34 pm
Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 pm

So if Trump doesn’t like it coming from other adults, why speak that way to a child?

It’s a perfectly fair comparison - either children are off limits or they aren’t. If they speak or work publicly, that doesn’t open them up to personal attacks from adults. I suspect you don’t think it would be cool for Obama to tweet Trump’s message at him in the case of his publicly complaining about scrutiny on his family - would you? If Barron was to say, speak at the RNC convention next year and passionately say his dad should be re-elected while angrily saying his dad has been attacked by political opponents, it wouldn’t be okay for others to personally attack him rather than just his message.

How is it not going out of his way to compose and send a tweet? It means he took an extra effort to do that, when saying nothing was a perfectly viable, easier option.

You literally said “her not being able to make a statement as an activist without being overly emotional and angry, yelling at adults and shaming them, shows “anger and emotional issues that need addressed”. She makes plenty of statements without being overly emotional and angry, and expressing passionate disgust in some instances doesn’t mean one has an anger management problem or “emotional issues”, lol.
She was unable to make a statement as an activist without being overly emotional and angry. That doesn’t mean she will never be able to make statements without being emotional. I spoke on the moment when she made a statement, crying and yelling at adults and shaming them.
If someone is on twitter all the time and tweets all the time, to make a tweet on twitter is not out of his way. Going out of your way is going somewhere or doing something you normally don’t do.
I don’t know what you don’t understand about kids who are demanding to be treated like adults, lecturing adults, in politics and being an activist will be treated as an adult when it comes to criticism. An innocent child being a child is not demanding to be treated and heard like an adult. Like I said before, there is a growing tactic of using children in politics because children should be off limits. So some people in politics think if they use children they can do so without criticism. When you have 16 and 17 year olds out there demanding to be heard like adults then expect the criticism you would get as an adult.
If the president can be criticized and treated this way an activist can be treated the same.
And? How does a single instance point to her having “anger and emotional issues that need addressed”? Plenty of adults might lose their cool in a professional setting from time to time - do they have anger and emotional issues too, or is that just being human?

When saying nothing and scrolling on down was the easier option, choosing to hit reply, compose a tweet and hit send is going out of his way.

Why are you stating that they “will be treated as an adult when it comes to criticism” as though that’s some kind of foregone conclusion and not simply your opinion? Adults with a sense of decency won’t personally attack a child, even while disagreeing with their points and arguments. And if that’s what Melania thinks, perhaps she should change the name of her photo op project to “shut up if you want to be treated with respect, otherwise I don’t give a shit”, which would be more accurate than #BeBest.

The President is an adult. This activist is a child. It’s gross anyone would think it’s appropriate for a child to be personally attacked by adults simply for wanting to speak up and make the world a better place, rather than respectfully engaged on the merits of their arguments. Certainly doesn’t sound like a society in which people are being best, which is what Melania claims to be in favor of.
It’s gross to put a child in politics as an activist and demand attention and to be heard from adults. It’s gross to use that child and then turn around and say it’s gross to critic her.
Why is it so acceptable to use children for political gain. It’s now ok to exploit this child because it meets an agenda? That is super gross!
What personal attacks have been made? Comments have been made on her actions. Her words. Her display of emotions. The way she presents herself. Nobody is saying her braids are ugly or she has a big nose or anything that would be considered a personal attack.
So are you going out of your way every time you comment in this group? Weird that you would go out of your way for strangers online.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm I wonder if these people going on about Greta will even care about her when she turns 18 and they can’t say she’s a kid and you can’t criticize her. That’s pretty much how it went for David Hogg. You couldn’t turn on the news without seeing that kids face. You stopped seeing and hearing from him constantly once he turned 18.
He just started his first semester at Harvard, so he’ll naturally have less time to do media than when he was a high school second semester senior then on a gap year.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:01 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm I wonder if these people going on about Greta will even care about her when she turns 18 and they can’t say she’s a kid and you can’t criticize her. That’s pretty much how it went for David Hogg. You couldn’t turn on the news without seeing that kids face. You stopped seeing and hearing from him constantly once he turned 18.
He just started his first semester at Harvard, so he’ll naturally have less time to do media than when he was a high school second semester senior then on a gap year.
Yeah and I haven’t seen him for some time. He just started. I doubt we will see his face all over the place again even when he is done with college. Not like when he was a kid meeting political agendas of those ok with exploiting children.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:04 pm
Yeah and I haven’t seen him for some time. He just started. I doubt we will see his face all over the place again even when he is done with college. Not like when he was a kid meeting political agendas of those ok with exploiting children.
If meeting with high school students who lived through a mass shooting incident to learn about their experiences is "exploiting" then I am all for it. We need to hear from the students, teachers, principals and first responders to understand what is happening and how to best support them.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Are we to see these children as children or are we to see them as adults while speaking to and lecturing adults? Because if we are to see them as children then they should be corrected about the way they speak to adults and about adults. If we are to see them and treat them as an adult who is speaking in adult subjects then they are open to anything an adult is.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:50 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:34 pm

She was unable to make a statement as an activist without being overly emotional and angry. That doesn’t mean she will never be able to make statements without being emotional. I spoke on the moment when she made a statement, crying and yelling at adults and shaming them.
If someone is on twitter all the time and tweets all the time, to make a tweet on twitter is not out of his way. Going out of your way is going somewhere or doing something you normally don’t do.
I don’t know what you don’t understand about kids who are demanding to be treated like adults, lecturing adults, in politics and being an activist will be treated as an adult when it comes to criticism. An innocent child being a child is not demanding to be treated and heard like an adult. Like I said before, there is a growing tactic of using children in politics because children should be off limits. So some people in politics think if they use children they can do so without criticism. When you have 16 and 17 year olds out there demanding to be heard like adults then expect the criticism you would get as an adult.
If the president can be criticized and treated this way an activist can be treated the same.
And? How does a single instance point to her having “anger and emotional issues that need addressed”? Plenty of adults might lose their cool in a professional setting from time to time - do they have anger and emotional issues too, or is that just being human?

When saying nothing and scrolling on down was the easier option, choosing to hit reply, compose a tweet and hit send is going out of his way.

Why are you stating that they “will be treated as an adult when it comes to criticism” as though that’s some kind of foregone conclusion and not simply your opinion? Adults with a sense of decency won’t personally attack a child, even while disagreeing with their points and arguments. And if that’s what Melania thinks, perhaps she should change the name of her photo op project to “shut up if you want to be treated with respect, otherwise I don’t give a shit”, which would be more accurate than #BeBest.

The President is an adult. This activist is a child. It’s gross anyone would think it’s appropriate for a child to be personally attacked by adults simply for wanting to speak up and make the world a better place, rather than respectfully engaged on the merits of their arguments. Certainly doesn’t sound like a society in which people are being best, which is what Melania claims to be in favor of.
It’s gross to put a child in politics as an activist and demand attention and to be heard from adults. It’s gross to use that child and then turn around and say it’s gross to critic her.
Why is it so acceptable to use children for political gain. It’s now ok to exploit this child because it meets an agenda? That is super gross!
What personal attacks have been made? Comments have been made on her actions. He words. Her emotions. The way she presents herself. Nobody is saying her braids are ugly or she has a big nose or anything that would be considered a personal attack.
So are you going out of your way every time you comment in this group? Weird that you would go out of your way for strangers online.
Why is that gross? Her and her generation will be dealing with the impacts of climate change when most of these world leaders are long dead, which is the case for many political issues - it either immediately impacts them or they’ll be dealing with the fallout decades from now. Once again, no one is saying the arguments can’t be criticized, just that people not personally attack them. It’s hardly some kind of outlandish or ridiculous expectation.

If there’s any proof any child activist is being exploited, that is super gross. But there’s no proof of that here.

Again, how is alleging she has emotional and anger management problems not a personal attack? Trump sure seems to find comments on his mental state to be personal attacks, so why is he doing the same to a child with autism he’s never met?

Of course I’m going out to my way - I could be doing other things, but I’ve chosen to spend time discussing on a discussion board. What’s weird about that? To give you an analogy, I find it odd when people go out of their way to reply “I don’t care” on a post, when not responding is the easier option. Just like it’s disgusting that Trump would go out of his way to mock a child when he could have just said nothing at all or attacked the merits of her arguments.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:09 pm Are we to see these children as children or are we to see them as adults while speaking to and lecturing adults? Because if we are to see them as children then they should be corrected about the way they speak to adults and about adults. If we are to see them and treat them as an adult who is speaking in adult subjects then they are open to anything an adult is.
Why is it anyone’s business to correct the way they speak to and about adults except their own parents?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A quick Google search of his name and 2019 reveal plenty of articles about him this year, prior to his September start at Harvard and while he was an adult.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm

If meeting with high school students who lived through a mass shooting incident to learn about their experiences is "exploiting" then I am all for it. We need to hear from the students, teachers, principals and first responders to understand what is happening and how to best support them.
You and I both know that’s not what happened with David hogg . The kids face was all over the place screaming about gun control and laws, calling people defending amendment rights children killers. All for political gain on the attempt to demonize anyone who owns a gun and fights for that right. Yes, that’s exploiting. No that is not listening to and meeting a high schooler who was at a school that had a mass shooting. If that were the case it wouldn’t have been an ongoing display of his face and rants. We didnt meet him and hear his story, we heard political rants and lectures.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:14 pm

A quick Google search of his name and 2019 reveal plenty of articles about him this year, prior to his September start at Harvard and while he was an adult.
Exactly. I would have to do a google search to find anything about him. He isn’t on the news in our faces on our tv day after day after day anymore. He isn’t a kid anymore.
Locked Previous topicNext topic