Georgia sheriff's 'No Trick-or-Treat' signs trigger lawsuit from S*x offenders

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ga. (FOX) — A group of S*x offenders in Georgia is suing the Butts County Sheriff’s office for posting “No Trick-or-Treat” signs on their homes.

The Butts County Sheriff said he is using the signs to keep kids safe, but the S*x offenders argued they are a violation of their rights to free speech and privacy.

The initiative began in 2018 when Butts County Sheriff Gary Long directed deputies to place “Warning! No Trick-or-Treat at this address!!” signs in the front yards of over 200 S*x offenders registered in the county from Oct. 24-Nov. 2. The sheriff’s office plans to use the same tactic again this year, and three registered S*x offenders have filed suit.

In a Facebook post, Sheriff Gary Long said he had instituted the signs as a result of the cancellation of a local Halloween festival, “Halloween on the Square,” and the subsequent influx of door-to-door trick-or-treaters. He said they had been following Georgia law and protecting children when they implemented the public warnings.
https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/ ... offenders/
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I am perfectly fine with police telling kids not to knock on the doors of S*x offenders.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

What the hell does this have to do with freedom of speech?

Wtf @ this entire “argument”.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What gives the sheriff the right to go into their yard? Or did he have them put on the public easement in front of their homes? Offenders don't lose all their rights after serving their sentence, even if they are on parole or probation.

Florida's law requires that S*x offenders keep their porch lights out, no decorations, no giving out candy, etc. There are also S*x offender databases parents can check in order to avoid them.

Now, don't take me wrong, I wouldn't want my kids TOT'ing at their homes. Although, I'd bet many offenders who haven't been caught are in a lot of neighborhoods where we don't know what they are. :-(
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic