Did My Family Really Come “Legally”?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm My grandparents and their families came here, following and obeying the laws and process set out at the time. They came between WW1 and the end of the twenties between both sides of the family. Italy on both paternal sides, Czechoslovakia which was being occupied by Austra Hungary, I believe, at the time. Poland also.

Great grandpa came here first, got work and paved the way for great grandma and the kids to come. I've actually found a manifest, some naturalization papers, and a scary letter for an uncle that he had to go for some extra hearing because something was in question on his paperwork. I think that was after he was naturalized.

I always heard the stories of how proud they were to have earned their citizenship. My great grandma was embarrassed about her broken English, so she didn't like to go out. They were very grateful to be here. ❤
So they came during the third wave of the Italian Diasporia where hundreds of thousands of Southern Europeans were leaving Europe for the US and other countries to escape poverty, political problems, and organized crime. In 1921 the US enacted the Quota Law which closed the door to "undesirables" from Southern and Eastern Europe but immigrants from those countries still found a way to enter illegally resulting in 1.4 illegal immigrants living in the US in 1925. Many of these immigrants were granted amnesty under the 1929 Registry Act.
As stated, they followed the laws at the time. I have a great aunt that kept every piece of paper she ever touched so I've seen documents.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

98 percent of immigrants who came through Ellis Island were allowed into the country. There was no numbers quota, no background checks, no wait time, you literally just had to show up and pass a basic health exam. If they failed the health exam, they were allowed to wait at Ellis Island in a quarantine room until they were well and then they were allowed in. That is why every time someone said "Why can't they do it the right way, like my grandparents did" I roll my eyes so hard.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 pm 98 percent of immigrants who came through Ellis Island were allowed into the country. There was no numbers quota, no background checks, no wait time, you literally just had to show up and pass a basic health exam. If they failed the health exam, they were allowed to wait at Ellis Island in a quarantine room until they were well and then they were allowed in. That is why every time someone said "Why can't they do it the right way, like my grandparents did" I roll my eyes so hard.
I agree. Purchase passage you were granted entry except if you were from Southern or Eastern Europe. 1.4 million undocumented immigrants from those countries entered the country in the early 20s but were granted amnesty. These people were escaping poverty, crime, and political upheaval. Deportations were suspended for Italians and Germans in the 1940s. I think it's important to recognize that was part of our immigration history as well.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 pm 98 percent of immigrants who came through Ellis Island were allowed into the country. There was no numbers quota, no background checks, no wait time, you literally just had to show up and pass a basic health exam. If they failed the health exam, they were allowed to wait at Ellis Island in a quarantine room until they were well and then they were allowed in. That is why every time someone said "Why can't they do it the right way, like my grandparents did" I roll my eyes so hard.
I agree. Purchase passage you were granted entry except if you were from Southern or Eastern Europe. 1.4 million undocumented immigrants from those countries entered the country in the early 20s but were granted amnesty. These people were escaping poverty, crime, and political upheaval. Deportations were suspended for Italians and Germans in the 1940s. I think it's important to recognize that was part of our immigration history as well.
Exactly. The idea of immigration laws didn't even exist until the 1880s and after that point the laws were only targeted toward specific ethnic groups of people, fueled by discrimination.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Black side came over as slaves so they weren’t immigrants. Japanese side immigrated legally but we treated similar to “illegals” by today “standards” during WWII, so it didn’t take much of a difference.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 pm Black side came over as slaves so they weren’t immigrants. Japanese side immigrated legally but we treated similar to “illegals” by today “standards” during WWII, so it didn’t take much of a difference.
Both of those were horrible, rotten times in our history.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm
bluebunnybabe wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am My parents absolutely came legally under the laws in place in 1968, and became citizens as soon as they were legally allowed to.
Where your folks from Blue?
England. They actually came here with nothing, as basically house servants for a wealthy family. My mom was the maid/cook/etc, and my dad was the groundskeeper.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My parents came here legally when there were actual rules and laws. They had to have a sponsor with jobs for them. They busted their asses. I get that it’s harder now, but it still can be done.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 pm Black side came over as slaves so they weren’t immigrants. Japanese side immigrated legally but we treated similar to “illegals” by today “standards” during WWII, so it didn’t take much of a difference.
Both of those were horrible, rotten times in our history.
It was bad but I am very blessed that my families made sure I learned an awful lot from it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm My grandparents and their families came here, following and obeying the laws and process set out at the time. They came between WW1 and the end of the twenties between both sides of the family. Italy on both paternal sides, Czechoslovakia which was being occupied by Austra Hungary, I believe, at the time. Poland also.

Great grandpa came here first, got work and paved the way for great grandma and the kids to come. I've actually found a manifest, some naturalization papers, and a scary letter for an uncle that he had to go for some extra hearing because something was in question on his paperwork. I think that was after he was naturalized.

I always heard the stories of how proud they were to have earned their citizenship. My great grandma was embarrassed about her broken English, so she didn't like to go out. They were very grateful to be here. ❤
At that period of time Italians were literally starving and there were no jobs. Nationalist fascist Mussolini had destroyed Italy and Italians left en masse. It must have been tough to leave and come to a country where people were openly hostile to you. Did your relatives tell you about Italy during those days? They must have had some stories hopefully passed down to you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic