Unreal! About half of millennials and 75 percent of Gen Zers have quit their jobs for mental health reasons!!!

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am I don't know my generation's label. (I was born in 1966) but I've had jobs that made me so anxious I vomited before I went to them. As long as they seek other employment who cares if they leave a job?
I think you're a boomer :)
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am I don't know my generation's label. (I was born in 1966) but I've had jobs that made me so anxious I vomited before I went to them. As long as they seek other employment who cares if they leave a job?
I think you're a boomer :)
I think I'm generation x. The boomers ended in 1964. It doesn't matter.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gen X

We're the ones who raised the millennials and/or Gen Y, lol.

I had a supervisor who was a micromanaging, in your face, nightmare, but I liked the job and stuck it out until I stood up for myself to her one afternoon. I was terminated the next day, hahaha.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The research suggests the etiology of these findings are multi-factorial.

On one hand, they have different goals for their careers and are likely are more willing to quit and find a job that allows them to meet their life objective. Good for them!

But unfortunately, that doesn't explain it all. It is clear from the staggering increase in incidence & prevalence number of mental health issues in this generation, they are struggling to effectively cope with life's challenges. I do believe our well-meaning helicoptering parenting and constant catering to their safety, feelings are contributing factors.
Fourmonkeys
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

1966 is Gen X.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not surprising and I don't think it should be. The term "mental health" may be a newer term but the concept isn't so new. A job that stresses you out so badly that you just can't take it anymore and you quit - I'm pretty sure my generation (Gen X) did their fair share of it. I've done it twice in my lifetime. Well, one time I actually quit, another I was in the process of looking for another job so I could quit the horrible one when they fired me, so they just beat me to the punch. But I was entirely intending to quit the job because I woke up with dread every morning about going to work. That's no way to live.

Let's face it - if mental health isn't a good enough reason to move on and find something better, then what is? Just because we have to work to earn money doesn't mean we can't enjoy it as well.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 am
Gen X

I had a supervisor who was a micromanaging, in your face, nightmare, but I liked the job and stuck it out until I stood up for myself to her one afternoon. I was terminated the next day, hahaha.
Mmm, not so much. I suspect more of Gen X is raising Gen Z, not the millenials. If you look at the years:
Gen X = 1965 - 1979 (ending year can range from '76-'80 depending on source)
Millenials/Gen Y = 1980 - 1995/96
Gen Z = 1997 - TBD
So the very oldest among Gen Xers could be raising Gen Y, or the rest of Gen X could be raising Gen Y if they had babies really young. But think about it, the middle of Gen X would be born 1972. Add a typically average childbearing age of 25 and you have kids born in 1997. That is just outside the range of Millenials and into Gen Z. And I think Gen X is the first generation to really start having kids later in life in droves.
My personal example - Between DH, myself, his two brothers and their two wives we are all Gen X born between 1968 and 1975. Between us three couples there are 7 kids, the oldest of which was born 1999, ie. Gen Z. We are all Gen Xers raising Gen Zers.

And just to share with the class here is an interesting article I found about how Gen X is raising Gen Z and what kind of affect it is having on them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... illennials
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gen X

I was terminated once for complaining about harassment before it became what it is now. Best thing that could have happened given that place was very toxic. I believe I'm raising Gen Z My youngest is 16.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Gen X

Mmm, not so much. I suspect more of Gen X is raising Gen Z, not the millenials. If you look at the years:
Gen Z = 1997 - TBD
So the very oldest among Gen Xers could be raising Gen Y, or the rest of Gen X could be raising Gen Y if they had babies really young. But think about it, the middle of Gen X would be born 1972. Add a typically average childbearing age of 25 and you have kids born in 1997. That is just outside the range of Millenials and into Gen Z. And I think Gen X is the first generation to really start having kids later in life in droves.
My personal example - Between DH, myself, his two brothers and their two wives we are all Gen X born between 1968 and 1975. Between us three couples there are 7 kids, the oldest of which was born 1999, ie. Gen Z. We are all Gen Xers raising Gen Zers.

And just to share with the class here is an interesting article I found about how Gen X is raising Gen Z and what kind of affect it is having on them.

My kids are late eighties, early nineties, late nineties, early two thousands. That's my perspective.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Gen X

Gen Z = 1997 - TBD

I can see that. I'm gen x probably raising gen z. Idk my oldest is 19. And I get annoyed by parents on here all the time. I'm like for the love of God loosen the damn reins I was a latch key kid who ran errands for my parents and I lived you all are babying your children. I wouldn't say I'm cynical but financially I fucked up so much I warn my kids about budgeting and debt. And while college is important not taking on debt your future salary can't pay off is too. You get like that when you see a teacher with a Master's struggle to make ends meet or someone trying to pay off student loan debt. My father struggled at times. Now he was rewarded far beyond monetary gain I will grant you that. His students tell him what a difference he's made in their lives which is more important than money. But it does give me a cynical view of what society values. And I'm only getting worse as i get older.
Locked Previous topicNext topic