Obamas placed an offer on 'mega-expensive' estate in Martha's Vineyard: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Former President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, reportedly made an offer on a 29-acre estate in Martha's Vineyard after renting it from Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck over the summer.

According to TMZ, the "mega-expensive" estate sits on the beach, has two guest wings, seven guest rooms, and 6,900 square feet. Although the property is listed at $14,850,000, sources told TMZ the Obamas were paying "less."

The Obamas previously purchased a nine-bedroom house Washington, D.C. That 2017 purchase cost them $8.1 million.

While the pair is currently in escrow, the deal could fall apart due to unspecified "contingencies," according to the outlet. The news came as the former first family seemed poised to continue raking in millions from a variety of other opportunities.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/obamas ... s-vineyard
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When is it considered "raking in" money as opposed to earning? It's been widely reported - including by the POTUS - that the couple signed a book contract for a $65 million advance payment, setting a record for the largest advance contract in publishing. Michele's book sold 1.4 million copies in the first week alone, and hit the 3 million sales mark last fall.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oooh, that sounds nice!
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

wonder if he's redistributed any of his wealth to his family in Kenya.

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What’s it to you or to anyone of us how he spends his money or who he helps out with it? Why does he have to justify his money to you?
Do you monitor Trump’s finances as well to see that he’s spending it in ways you approve of?
water<wine wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:47 pm wonder if he's redistributed any of his wealth to his family in Kenya.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Obama on wealth inequality: ‘There’s only so much you can eat. There’s only so big a house you can have.’

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/barack- ... n-eat.html
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:49 pm What’s it to you or to anyone of us how he spends his money or who he helps out with it?
Do you monitor Trump’s finances as well to see that he’s spending it in ways you approve of?
water<wine wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:47 pm wonder if he's redistributed any of his wealth to his family in Kenya.

Obama on wealth inequality: ‘There’s only so much you can eat. There’s only so big a house you can have.’

lol.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Martha's Vineyard is nice! Good for them!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

A couple of paragraphs down:

“You don’t have to take a vow of poverty just to say, ‘Well, let me help out... let me look at that child out there who doesn’t have enough to eat or needs some school fees, let me help him out. I’ll pay a little more in taxes. It’s okay. I can afford it,’” Obama said.”

And he’s right. You can live in wealth and comfort and still help others. You don’t have to renounce to the privileges your income gives you simply because others aren’t that fortunate. If he can afford a big house and a nice car and help others, good. He doesn’t have to live in an apartment in Queens to be consistent.

In that same article you posted, there’s Zuckerberg saying: “Let’s face it: There is something wrong with our system when I can leave [Harvard] and make billions of dollars in 10 years, while millions of students can’t afford to pay off their loans, let alone start a business.”

And yet, these people are smart because they know the solution isn’t for them to stop making money or to have the same economic troubles other have.
water<wine wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 pm Obama on wealth inequality: ‘There’s only so much you can eat. There’s only so big a house you can have.’

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/barack- ... n-eat.html
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

these hypocritical democrat multi millionaires and billionaires, pretending they arent the ones who are the problem. pssst... you dont have to wait for a "universal basic income" tax taken from middle class people to solve the problem. give up 90% of all of your money then I will take their crying seriously.

“As the economy evolves, it reallocates resources,” billionaire Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett said on PBS Newshour in 2017. “Now, the real problem, in my view, is ... the prosperity has been unbelievable for the extremely rich people.” “If you go to 1982, when Forbes put on their first 400 list, those people had [a total of] $93 billion. They now have $2.4 trillion, [a multiple of] 25 for one,” Buffett said. “This has been a prosperity that’s been disproportionately rewarding to the people on top.”

Mark Zuckerberg, the billionaire founder and CEO of Facebook, has expressed a similar sentiment. “We have a level of wealth inequality that hurts everyone,” Zuckerberg said in his May 2017 commencement address at Harvard. “Let’s face it: There is something wrong with our system when I can leave [Harvard] and make billions of dollars in 10 years, while millions of students can’t afford to pay off their loans, let alone start a business.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic