4 shot on college campus in Atlanta during back-to-school block party, police say

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

At least four people were wounded Tuesday night when a shooting broke out at a back-to-school block party on a college campus in Atlanta, police said.

An unidentified shooter opened fire into a crowd of about 200 people at the block party in front of the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Clark Atlanta University, a historically black private university located in Georgia's capital. An initial investigation seems to indicate that the gunshots erupted around 10:30 p.m. local time after an argument between two groups at the party, according to a statement from the Atlanta Police Department.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/shot-college- ... d=65092366
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Is that considered a mass shooting?
KAG
Mean Girl
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

morgan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:03 pm Is that considered a mass shooting?
The definition varies depending on who you ask. Some say yes, others 'no, not until there are 4 or more fatalities'.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is just another day in the ATL..Seriously. I live in the burbs of Atlanta and shootings are the norm here...so is rape, theft, drug busts, S*x trafficking ( HUGE problem here), stalking, etc..There is a reason Atlanta's crime rate is higher than the national average.
( Oh, and no..this is not a mass shooting..this was a very large group of students that got into an altercation and weapons were brought out..a normal thing here unfortunately.)
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Black on Black crime pretty much always comes up when there is an influx or heated discussion about mass shootings. I've had a pretty decent amount of direct exposure and its not the same thing as mass shootings. The shooter profiles/motives, environmental/social factors, legalities behind obtaining fire arm and other contributing factors are much too different to compare the two or take a one side fits all approach. Its not as simple as "multiple people got shot, so its the same thing". Just doesn't work that way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging that these are two different, complex issues and it doesn't make either better or worse.

We don't have to be singled out directly or indirectly when people can't agree on political topics without viciously fighting with each other about it.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 am This is just another day in the ATL..Seriously. I live in the burbs of Atlanta and shootings are the norm here...so is rape, theft, drug busts, S*x trafficking ( HUGE problem here), stalking, etc..There is a reason Atlanta's crime rate is higher than the national average.
( Oh, and no..this is not a mass shooting..this was a very large group of students that got into an altercation and weapons were brought out..a normal thing here unfortunately.)
This is so sad. It’s a beautiful part of the country.
Who and why would anyone bring a gun to a party?
Atlanta is beginning to resemble Chicago, speaking of crime, it appears.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Because some people think their manhood is dependent on carrying a gun around just in case someone disagrees with you which means they have insulted you and you have to show off your manhood by shooting at people. Dumb. Very, very dumb.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 am This is just another day in the ATL..Seriously. I live in the burbs of Atlanta and shootings are the norm here...so is rape, theft, drug busts, S*x trafficking ( HUGE problem here), stalking, etc..There is a reason Atlanta's crime rate is higher than the national average.
I didn't realize Atlanta was that violent! I think I just assume it's more genteel because it's the South.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have watched the crime escalate for years since I'm a "native" Atlantan.
Many people keep weapons in their vehicles so it isn't far fetched that a gun would be brought out during an altercation.

Ledina60 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:05 am
This is so sad. It’s a beautiful part of the country.
Who and why would anyone bring a gun to a party?
Atlanta is beginning to resemble Chicago, speaking of crime, it appears.
Claire
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Noooo..
In 2017, the national average was 280.6... Atlanta was 520.8..*sigh*
Don't get me wrong.. I love Atlanta, but between traffic and crime, we have issues.

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am
I didn't realize Atlanta was that violent! I think I just assume it's more genteel because it's the South.
Claire
Locked Previous topicNext topic