Political drama on a knitting/crochet site. Ravelry bans ...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 pm Why would Politics be on a knitting board to begin with?

Knit one , purl one... give me patterns , not your opinions on immigration...
You'd be surprised. Some groups are a real pita when you want to find a pattern and have to weed through pages of political bs.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 pm Why would Politics be on a knitting board to begin with?

You'd be surprised. Some groups are a real pita when you want to find a pattern and have to weed through pages of political bs.
Idk maybe a meetup group for crocheting would be better? Meetup.com? I have one group where politics might come up but at least we're not going to kill each other over it. All my rest discuss writing or kayaking, what have you. They focus on why they're there, not politics.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Raverly isn't accepting any new members at this time. They deleted their FB account and haven't posted anything new on Twitter. They all need to knit themselves a soft, warm safe space. A comfortable cocoon to protected themselves for the next six or so years.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 pm Raverly isn't accepting any new members at this time. They deleted their FB account and haven't posted anything new on Twitter. They all need to knit themselves a soft, warm safe space. A comfortable cocoon to protected themselves for the next six or so years.
A cocoon to protect themselves?
WTF?
A group devoted to knitting and crochet doesn’t need to go” off topic” to discuss politics!
It’s smart.
If they object to white supremacy, then they’re to be admired . You do know that’s why they object to posts about politics, right?
🙄
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Political bullshit does not belong on a site like Ravelry. I don't see an issue with it.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:09 pm
Lexy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 pm Raverly isn't accepting any new members at this time. They deleted their FB account and haven't posted anything new on Twitter. They all need to knit themselves a soft, warm safe space. A comfortable cocoon to protected themselves for the next six or so years.
A cocoon to protect themselves?
WTF?
A group devoted to knitting and crochet doesn’t need to go” off topic” to discuss politics!
It’s smart.
If they object to white supremacy, then they’re to be admired . You do know that’s why they object to posts about politics, right?
🙄
I'd have respected a decision had they said no political discussions allowed. .
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm
jas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Why do you assume Ravelry is a Democratic site? It's been around for decades, and has had many political threads over the years.

No one is banned from using the site. They just made a decision about this POTUS at this time, based on current events.
To which all political talk should be out. The fact they took a "side" clearly states which way they lean. We can talk about the democrats all day long.
Agree to disagree.

They took a position after 2.5 years of the administration being in the WH and seeing the actions taken, not based on a "side" or a political party. If that was the case it would have happened at inauguration - not years later. They made it clear it was about his support of racist remarks and actions.

It is a privately held company and they can set the user agreement as they choose.
Agree to disagree.
I was a member until they took a position in January 2017 - not 2.5 years into the administration. They flooded the site with p**sy Hats. Now the ban chatter and patterns about the sitting President. Patterns. They banned patterns.

But you can still go help yourself to as many p**sy hat patterns as you could ever want.

They are private but clearly biased.

IMG_7870.PNG
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

All of my knitting and crochet groups have banned talk of politics, religion, etc. Basically anything not craft related. And they have also banned talk of the Ravelry ban. We can still talk about patterns from Ravelry but that is it.
I don't have a dog in this fight. I will continue to use Ravelry for patterns as well as ETSY and various blogs. I am looking for the best patterns and that is it.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm

I have left a few groups because of that. Now I mostly use Repeat Crafter Me on Facebook as my main group and a couple of other smaller groups.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm
jas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 pm

To which all political talk should be out. The fact they took a "side" clearly states which way they lean. We can talk about the democrats all day long.
Agree to disagree.

They took a position after 2.5 years of the administration being in the WH and seeing the actions taken, not based on a "side" or a political party. If that was the case it would have happened at inauguration - not years later. They made it clear it was about his support of racist remarks and actions.

It is a privately held company and they can set the user agreement as they choose.
Agree to disagree.
I was a member until they took a position in January 2017 - not 2.5 years into the administration. They flooded the site with p**sy Hats. Now the ban chatter and patterns about the sitting President. Patterns. They banned patterns.

But you can still go help yourself to as many p**sy hat patterns as you could ever want.

They are private but clearly biased.

IMG_7870.PNG
This is what you do when you know you can't win on facts. Silence the opposition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic