Historic Catholic marker deemed 'racist symbol' removed by University of California Santa Cruz

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

morgan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am Slavery and war and claiming land is how the world was built. If you want to erase everything that offends you in history, then we might as well nuke the entire planet.
Then we will finally all be equal! Equally dead.

It is impossible to erase the confederacy from the south and those monuments aren’t destroyed or erased. Just moved.

People watch too much TV and overdramatize that whole erase history thing.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 am I’ve always thought that the statues of the famous fighters for the south who fought in the civil war to keep slavery should all be put into a gallery together and described truthfully as racist slave owners who believed that blacks were so inferior that they needed to remain slaves with owners who could control them.
That’s the truth and it would be so valuable to let youngsters know exactly how horrible and evil those famous military men were !
It could teach them lessons in how not to live , how to avoid being evil.
Keep all Memorials, all statues. Let them be important lessons for the future adults who are now in school.
You know what they say about the past! Those who forget the past are condemned to to repeat it.
We don’t want a repeat of slavery, the Salem Witchcraft Trials , Hitler’s “final solution “ of killing millions of Jews, the all-out effort to kill blacks in the south in the 1950’s, 1960’s, segregation....

( and the latest move by despicable people to discriminate and who have hatred toward gays , lesbians....but that’s another issue and there are no statues or memorials, just social media crap)
Etc
Remember it! All of it .
Most of those monuments are relocated to museums, memorial parks, etc. I have personally never heard of any getting destroyed and there are a good bit of resources to educate kids.

I guess people just get bent out of shape because they want the monuments to stay exactly where it is.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Honestly, this is a matter between the school and their students/alumni IMO. I think people would free up a lot of headspace if they understood that and the media needs to stop over reporting about this (in general).
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This. The problem is statues were out in the open to be admired. Put them in a museum with all of their history. Some people want history to be white washed.
29again wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm
morgan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am Slavery and war and claiming land is how the world was built. If you want to erase everything that offends you in history, then we might as well nuke the entire planet.
And amazingly, some would call that progress.

We are going down a wrong road lately, trying to erase everything that offends any group (other than white Christian) of people. How the hell are we to teach our children and grandchildren and their grandchildren if we have nothing to remember anything? I would not be surprised if we didn't end up in another civil war because we have few reminders of the first one left. No one will be able to "see" the people and the places. A museum is fine and all, but it is not the same as the actual site, the memorials, the statues, the plaques in place.... I'm afraid our sense and understanding of history will be more lost than what it is now, and it's pretty far gone now, imo.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 pm This. The problem is statues were out in the open to be admired. Put them in a museum with all of their history. Some people want history to be white washed.

We are going down a wrong road lately, trying to erase everything that offends any group (other than white Christian) of people. How the hell are we to teach our children and grandchildren and their grandchildren if we have nothing to remember anything? I would not be surprised if we didn't end up in another civil war because we have few reminders of the first one left. No one will be able to "see" the people and the places. A museum is fine and all, but it is not the same as the actual site, the memorials, the statues, the plaques in place.... I'm afraid our sense and understanding of history will be more lost than what it is now, and it's pretty far gone now, imo.
Of course statues were erected to be admired. That's why Daughters of the Confederacy erected so many during the early 1900s. The question is, should they be admired and should they be permanent. In my town, we have a statue to "the confederate soldier" commissioned by one of the daughters of Jeb Stuart. Yet we didn't have any soldiers fighting for the Confederacy. We had some Union soldiers but for most part our town had Confederate deserters. Should our town be able to take down the statue and replace it with something more in keeping with our actual history? Most of the town residents say "no" so it's going to stay.

IMO, this is a community issue, not a national issue. Let communities decide what persons and events they want memorialized. But also don't forget that for the most part these monuments to confederate generals were erected 50+ years later, not to ensure that people didn't forget but to intimidate certain segments of the population.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 pm This. The problem is statues were out in the open to be admired. Put them in a museum with all of their history. Some people want history to be white washed.

Of course statues were erected to be admired. That's why Daughters of the Confederacy erected so many during the early 1900s. The question is, should they be admired and should they be permanent. In my town, we have a statue to "the confederate soldier" commissioned by one of the daughters of Jeb Stuart. Yet we didn't have any soldiers fighting for the Confederacy. We had some Union soldiers but for most part our town had Confederate deserters. Should our town be able to take down the statue and replace it with something more in keeping with our actual history? Most of the town residents say "no" so it's going to stay.

IMO, this is a community issue, not a national issue. Let communities decide what persons and events they want memorialized. But also don't forget that for the most part these monuments to confederate generals were erected 50+ years later, not to ensure that people didn't forget but to intimidate certain segments of the population.
Well said!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 pm

🙌🏼 Well said.
Locked Previous topicNext topic